1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW powder bushing for promo powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddeath, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Does anyone have a powder bushing chart of a PW reloader that lists promo powder? What bushing will throw about 17grains?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

With MY JUGS of Promo:

PW "J" 18.1 gr -
    Hornady .438 17.5 gr -
    Hornady .450 18.8 gr

There is a bunch of variation in the density of Promo powder. This will give you an idea anyway.

3. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

My 444 bushing is throwing 18.0 grains on my new lot of Promo.

Tim

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Start with the same data used for Red Dot. According to Alliant, Promo is blended to duplicate Red Dot's ballistics (I have the email somewhere) but Promo is a bit denser than Red Dot and varies more in density than other powders from lot to lot and . But the Red Dot bushings should get you started.

Here's the link to Alliant's product page for Promo with a link to Promo data on it.

Keller

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Keller............Like the OP I am looking for chart on P/W bushing with
    Alliant powder....Where did I miss it on the product page?

6. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

http://www.reloaders.com/files/alliant_chart.php

http://www.swsupply.com/downloads/BushingChart.pdf

http://www.alliantpowder.com/downloads/PowderBushingsCharts.pdf

None will list Promo as it varies from lot to lot.

America's number one economy-priced 12 gauge target powder. Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot, but is more dense, thus requiring a smaller bushing to obtain the same charge weight.

Tim

7. Unknown1

L-T-S...

I wrote that the link on the product page is a link to loading data for Promo, NOT to a bushing chart. As the product page says, Promo is formulated to give the same ballistics as Red Dot in a slightly denser powder. Start with the Red Dot bushings and ease your way down in size till you get the weight you want and then record that bushing size. You're gonna end up making your own bushing chart, and you may have to modify it slightly for each new batch you start. The loader's technique has an affect on the bushing selection so to people may not get the same drop weight from the same bushing. That's why you should record the batch number for each jug you buy so you know when the batch changes. Then you need to recheck your drop weights with the bushings you used with the previous batch and adjust as needed. That's one of the trade-offs for the low price of Promo.

From the previous post...active links:

<I>http://www.reloaders.com/files/alliant_chart.php</I>

<I>http://www.alliantpowder.com/downloads/PowderBushingsCharts.pdf</I>

<I>http://www.swsupply.com/downloads/BushingChart.pdf</I>

When I used Promo I found it easier to use Hornsdy bushings from Gamaleil than to use the PW bushings because they offers more sizes and they are numbered by their internal diameter. Here is the Red Dot section of the Alliant PW bushing chart with the PW letter designations for the bushing and another chart that converts the PW letters to decimal measurements. If you go to Gamaleil's web site and look up the Hornady bushings you can see the sizes that are offered that are between what PW offers... IF you need to get that close on your powder drops:

[​IMG]       [​IMG]</p>

Keller

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Thanks...:)

I should have know to look in Whiz's website...he has everything you need to know in it.

9. Unknown1

Whiz used to have a chart that listed the PW bushings in their decimal sizes on his web site.

I don't see it so I guess he got rid of it.

Keller

10. oz

oz Active Member

why not try PW (.com?)

11. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

You MUST weigh drops with each keg of Promo to determine weight per bushing. Do not use the same bushings as Red Dot as the charges will be hotter and pressures greater.

WNCRob

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

USE A SCALE! Yea I shouted. Jake

13. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"why not try PW (.com?)"</I></blockquote>Try them for what? Powder bushings, a powder bushing chart or a conversion chart from letters to decimals?

PW has a bushing chart for its powders; so do other web sites. What PW also has are powder bushings that cost more than the Hornady bushings and come in fewer sizes. PW apparently doesn't feel its necessary to get really close on suggested powder drop weights so they supply bushings that drop powder weights that are "close enough".

Hornady uses the decimal measurement of the bushing hole as the bushing part number; PW just uses a letter. If you want a bushing that's bigger than one PW bushing but smaller than the next PW size you can most likely find one in Hornady's selection. Problem is you have to know the hole sizes of the PW bushings you have to make a selection. The list of sizes I posted above are the bore diameters for the PW bushings Alliant uses for Red Dot powder. PW doesn't have a chart like that and Whiz apparently deleted his. You can use it to pick the size Hornady bushings you want and order them from Gamaleil.

Promo is a fast powder better suited to 1 oz loads and slow 1 1/8 oz loads. If you have the complete set of PW powder bushings and can get inside 1/2 grain of the powder weight you need with one of them, you should be good to go for any 1 oz. Promo load except the highest pressure loads (10,3 psi and up). Be more careful and weigh drops for the 1200 FPS 1 1/8 oz loads as the pressures build well into the 10s.

Keller

14. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Go to midway.com and order a mec to pw bushing sleeve about 7 bucks . Now you can use mec bushing which have closer tolerances .But no matter what bushing you use always wieght your powder ,seems they never are to percise.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use a G1 bushing for the PROMO for an extra-lite singles 1 1/8 ounce load.

I removed the bushing ID chart because I was getting varying dimensions with bushing from the factory. I redid the chart and will get it back up.

For instance, the "M" bushing was throwing about 19.2 grains of Clays, whereas the P/W charts stated it threw 19.8.

I redid one today in fact for a customer at no charge and called it an "M1" bushing. Its ID was 0.480. 0.483 throws 20 grains of Clays and the 0.468 throws 19 grains. I did a simple interpolation for the 19.8.

HOWEVER, and I want to STRESS THIS POINT HEAVILY one has to be careful because mathematically speaking "INTERPOLATION" is a linear measurement based on an increment of 10, whereas the ID is a 3rd degree calculation for volume. It's NOT exact in doing this, but it's close enough tho'.

The chart below does NOT claim to be 100% absolutely dead-on. I have only intended to provide reference data that correlates the factory's alphabetical nomenclature to linear dimensions.

whizwhite_2008_0203303.jpg

WW

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

17. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>For instance, the "M" bushing was throwing about 19.2 grains of Clays, whereas the P/W charts stated it threw 19.8.</i></blockquote>That doesn't surprise me; I've gone through at least a dozen batches (and 42 jugs) of Claydot and in the last 3 or 4 batches I've found over a 1/2 grain variation in drop weights (always lighter than earlier batches) with a variety of bushings in a well-tuned 900.

I've gone up as many as 4 Hornady bushing sizes to compensate. I'm beginning to think that it's not that important to case powder weight variations in shotshells with bushing sizes.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec bushing dimensions
powder bushing for promo powder
powder bushings for promo powder
powder bushings promo powder

promo powder bushing chart