1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Platnum reloader question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I recently come up with a used PW platinum reloader. In the box loose with it is a piece of sheet metal about 3 1\2 inches long with U cuts at each end. I assume it is a baffle for the powder measure but it doesn't seem to fit real well. It has the square looking shot and powder reservoir. Anyone know for sure? I couldn't find the part in the book that came with it so I didn't put it in and the powder throw seems to be consistent as any.

Also it says don't remove bushings with your fingers, I know there is a tool but what does using your fingers hurt?

Last question, it makes a SNAP noise when the handle goes all the way up while reloading, is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Also it says don't remove bushings with your fingers, I know there is a tool but what does using your fingers hurt?"</blockquote>

I can't figure that one out either. Other than the fact that it's difficult, I suppose it keeps you from contaminating the bore of the bushing. I use a custom bent .50 cal. nylon bore brush, though. It's easier than trying to stick a finger in the bushing.

<blockquote>"Last question, it makes a SNAP noise when the handle goes all the way up while reloading, is this normal?"</blockquote>

I get a "POP" out of my 900s when I'm loading brass-based hulls. It's the hull popping into the sizing die in the first station. It doesn't happen with every hull and with steel bases at all. It annoys me enough that I now resize hulls beforehand with a MEC Super Sizer.

Lister

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Powder and shot bushings are easily removed with brass barrel brushes. I use one designed for a 45 automatic barrel but several sizes will work. Push in the brush and pull out the bushing.

I would never use my finger to pull the bushings out. I have a hydraulic system on my press and if something happened to activate the press with my finger in the bushing, it would cut/smash off the tip of my finger and the finger tip would probably block the powder drop tube. I think it would be difficult to clean out a finger tip from the drop tube while squirting blood all over the machine. Also, blood soaked primers could cause more than two failure to fires in one sub event.

My Platinum 2000 will make a snap as the handle is raised sometimes. Other times it does not do this. Jim Cunningham told me this is normal.

The metal part you described does sound like a baffle. Mine are squeezed together and fit firmly in the bottom of the reservoirs.

Pat Ireland

4. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I use Snap ring pliers that are bent. Sneaks right in and does the job.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I could photo mine and send it to you but I think your manual has a diagram. The part you describe does go in the powder tube

6. JTEA

JTEA Member

I make sure the swab cleaner has a decent amount of oil when it starts snapping. Take it off the post and put the oil around the bottom. As I recall, I got a mounting post from Spolar which is a little longer than the PW - it's red, if that helps. Gets the oil to the bottom of the die. I use the same gun oil that I use with my gun.

Change the oil swab to the brush now and then to clean them for 50 strokes.

I remove bushings with a brush as well.

JT

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The Platinums all came with the EZ-Fill Hopper system on top. There should be one blued baffle in each section of the opaque hopper; one for the shot and one for the powder.

These sit directly above the drop holes in the base of the hopper.

Put it in and then gently press down on the apex of the piece to expand it enough to remain snug in its position

Whiz White

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Thanks so much everyone for the help, I have most all the problems figured out now thanks to you guys. I have had the loader for quite awhile but had it stored and was using another brand loader I really didn't like but just kept putting off changing them out and redoing my bench. I used a older PW years ago and have forgotten most of what I learned about them back then and this one has some different parts. The workmaship and the heavy duty everything I really like about the PW plus the crimps I'm getting are the best I've ever gotten out of any loader. Not sure they don't look better than factory. LOL

I looked back in the packing box and found where other baffle was hiding, I've loaded about 2 flats without baffles in either side. I checked the powder throw and it seemed as consistent as anything I've used but I keep my powder and shot hoppers at least 3\4 full so maybe I'm ok with the rounds I have loaded. Well I have shot at least half of them and they shot fine. I will drain the powder and shot now and get the baffles where they belong. The manual shows them in the dual round hopper set up but I don't see them pictured in the one piece white plastic one like on my loader. That and only thinking I had one was what threw me off.

For getting the bushings out I ran accross some silicon tapered plugs in my shop, I bent a piece of rod into an L shape and got it stuck into the bigger end of the plug. That is working real well to pull the bushings out. Come to think of it I think these were made to plug the ends of some tubing up that I was sand blasting and didn't want the inside blasted. They are about an inch long and various diameters. IIRC I got them as a set from Eastwoods a auto parts outfit.

I have the case cleaning brush and it's screwed into a piece of round stock but I can't see how to mount it to the loader yet. It's getting late and I'm tired so maybe I'll figure it out in the morning. I did see in the back of the book where you can buy a bracket to hold it but shouldn't the platinum have someplace built in for it to mount? All the cases I've loaded so far where once fired STS that came straight out of my gun into the pouch so they are not too dirty but I'm sure I need to get that mounted for future use.

Thanks again for all the help, as usual the ts.com folks always come up with whatever info you need.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

The brush requires a bracket to mount on the edge of the press. The bracket works well on many models but not well on the 2000. With some tinkering, it can be mounted to the 2000 but it does not appear to be necessary. I think the brush is included as a tool to remove the shot/powder bushings.

Pat Ireland

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The brush does not clean the hulls....it keeps the dies clean!

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Both the Platinums and 800 Plus machine do not need a bracket to mount a cleaning brush or swab.

On the top toolhead above the position of the shell insertion station there is a cast threaded recess that accepts a special rod and the bottom end accepts a standard shotgun cleaning brush/swab.

The older machines prior to the Platinum's and 800 Plus' require a bracket as Pat mentions above. And, Pat is also correct about the bushing removal brush and rod included as standard equipment along with the aluminum plate that bolts to the machine where you rest a removed die to remove a hull.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.