1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW motor drive on Spolar Gold reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I've finally reached the frustration level with my 70's vintage 800B that I'm tempted to order a new PW machine that I know will work with the motor drive, or get a Spolar Gold, and adapt the PW motor drive to it.

This may be a first, and although I'm talking to Dicksie about the possibility, I'm trying to locate someone who has adapted the new PW electric drive system to a Spolar Gold reloader. Spolar says the PW Hydraulic unit will work on their machine, but I suppose, due to the newness of the electric drive, they can't give an answer about adapting the PW unit to their press. Both Dicksie and I think it will work, without much fuss; but it's not an $800 mistake I'm willing to take a chance on.

Please, if anyone has done the swap, or investigated the possibility, could you share your experience.

Thanks in advance......mike

2. Bob Farne

Bob Farne Member

The Ponsness Warren website lists as available an electric drive for the Spolar.

3. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Check with Whiz White - he advertises here:

Jim 'Whiz' White
    5308 Timberline Trail
    Rapid City, SD 57702
    (605) 341-4412

Billy

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mike this is not a swap or adapt issue. P/W makes and sell an auto drive that is made specifically for the Spolar Gold loader. In my opinion this is the absolute best loading setup available. I bought mine (Serial number SP001) through Whiz and it is FANTASTIC. Set up took about 20 minutes including the time to drill 4 extra holes in my bench. Since then I have loaded a little better than 55 thousand 12 ga rounds without a single problem from the drive/loader setup. I had and used both a P/W Hydraulic and a AutoMate II on my PW900s and the Auto drive is so superior that I would have upgraded my PW loaders to it even if I had not bought the Spolar.

--- Chip King ---

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

OK, as usual, there is always a group of guys who have been there & done that. I thank you for the great information. Here's what I think I know, from the adventure, so far. BTW, I did a fair amount of searching/talking, mostly to the folks at Spolar, before I posted my question.

In any case, it would require the services of a machine/welding/fabricating shop to make the electric drive designed to fit a PW 800B, work on a Spolar Gold. I could buy the (more than a few) parts from PW, but would end up spending about as much as if I simply ordered a complete unit designed to work on a Spolar. Actually, about the only thing that could be salvaged from the PW setup would be the motor, and perhaps the clutch. As things usually work for me, the cost of making mine work would most likely exceed the cost of new stuff, never mind the fun of screwing up a few times, getting it to work.

So, here's where the project stands: I could buy a new PW 800+ and use the motor drive I have, as is. Or buy a Spolar Gold and add a new drive system like Chip did.

Thanks everyone, for the help. All the best....mike

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Second what Top Single DT10 said. I didn't catch on from your first post that you already had a auto-drive but I don't think that would have changed my recommendation anyway. Besides there are a heap of folks here that would gobble up your current auto-drive so the cost of the new one would be less hard on the budget.

The PW800 is a great machine and if you could get a new one without the plastic top it would probably serve you for a long long time but you already know that because you have one. I spent extra to get the E-Z fill hopper and the removable die station upgrades for my PWs and hated the plastic hoppers from day one.

Either way you will be time and money ahead with far less aggravation to get the auto-drive made for the loader you choose.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

auto drive for spolar gold

hydraulic drive for spolar gold and pw

pw auto drive for spolar

pw motor drive

spolar reloader autodrive

spolar with pw auto-drive

which is better spolar gold hydraulic or the auto drive