1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW makes bad crimp on AA.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Use 7/8 load, 20.5 Red Dot, grey wad and AA shells.
    PW does not close them. There is a small hole in the center.
    If I use STS, then no problem. I compare them, STS i a bit longer.
    On MEC 9000 the result is better. Any thoughts?

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

new or old style aas?? ,lets start here

bill

3. hairy

hairy TS Member

Lower the crimp starter.

4. ansvel

ansvel Member

Old style.

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

what harry said then, crimp starter hole to about where a pencil earser will fit in pre crimp hole.

bill

6. ansvel

ansvel Member

ok, thanks gents, will try.

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

what year loading guide did you get the 20.5 grains of red dot out of,mine only goes up to 1300 fps with your components and only takes 18.5 grains of red dot and ww 209 primer,though you dont mention what primer you used either??

bill

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I Think I am going to get away from AA's all together, when any Rem Product will make a good load, and they don't. And several other makes of hulls make perfect loads with out ajusting the machine.

Me thinks it is time to give those things a good old good luck finger wave and move on!!!!!!!

Al

9. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 nipper
    I was wrong. A use a new AA style. Are they bad?
    Last night was playing with crimp, but still the same issue.
    One again, STS is ok because they longer. AA with grey wad makes no sense.
    The reason for 20gr because I shoot bunker. I need 1350fps.

10. jerry noice

jerry noice TS Member

If you have a early model PW you will always have a problem with crimp on aa's.
    I called PW and they stated That you need to buy Their tapered crimper to remove the hole in center of crimp.Well over 100.00
    The new aa are the only shell I have a problem with as they are shorter than the old aa or sts

11. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have loaded them on the PW800 Plus and on a MEC Grabber and it is often hard (even impossible) to get deep perfect crimps with some of the more popular wad/powder combinations no matter how the loader is adjusted because the hulls don't have much internal capacity -----there just isn't quite enough room.

After trying quite a few different loads using Red Dot, have found good results loading 7/8 ounce by using the Clay Buster pink AA wad that is marketed for 1 ounce.

As for 1 ounce loads, the real Remington Figure 8 wads marketed for 1 and 1/8 give good results.

12. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 Gregg535

Yeap, I used 1oz wad for 7/8 with the good result. But I have so many of 7/8 wads..

Well, will try to reload STS only, but hard to find good quantity of them.

13. nipper

nipper TS Member

how do these compare-

top 3- new hs aa 7/8 oz. grey wad 16.5 red dot
    second 3 old style same load
    third 3 new hs aa but grey same load
    fourth 3 old style grey aa

my setting on my pw 2000 are tweaked for 3/4 oz #9 using neon green wad from claybuster in 1oz. and 16.5 of red dot.

the only holes i think that are excessive are the top 3 anyway,i have opened lots of factory hs aa and they have about the same size opening as the others do,i tihink you would be pulling your hair out if you tried to close the opening 100% but maybe its possible??

i didnt try any adjustments,i just loaded these to see if this is what you are seeing

Bill
    [​IMG]

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

20.5 of Red Dot powder is way too much... no wonder your shell does not close. 18.5 is the maximum Red Dot or Clays load. Switch to Green Dot at 20.0 for a more "normal" 1,200+ load. Fred

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I load with a PW Platinum and have no trouble closing the hole in the crimp. I have never used the older presses. Lower the starter crimp till the hole goes away. I adjust for the AA's and the Rem's will all be good. I don't use any taper crimp, that will buckle the newer AA's. I don't think what is stuffed in the hull has any effect on the crimp, the wad would just collapse if there isn't enough room.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Lower your final crimper if you want the factory look-alike top.

If you want to close the hole, then you need more plastic in the fingers: to achieve that, lower the pre-crimper. I pre-crimp my hulls to about 45ยบ.

I'd bet that if you measure the over-all shell length, you are probably longer than 2 3/4" and that's the difference in the hole and no hole.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.