1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pw loaders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stu mackay, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

I am looking at a pw800+ and a platinum2000 Which do you like best and which you buy again? thanks stu

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I will be difficult to find many with both loaders. Whiz has provided some comparison in the past, but I have not paid much attention to the differences. I have a 2000 and am pleased with the machine. Both are good reloaders and they are on sale for another 10 days.

Pat Ireland

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

How about a near new PW Platinum 2000 with accessory package for $450 plus shipping?

4. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

PW came out with the Platinum as an improvement on the 800 series. They probably brought back the 800 to compete with Spolar's claim to quick gauge changes. If you only shoot 12 ga I would get the Platinum.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have an 800+ and really like it. I have never seen a 2000.

Don

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have owned P/W's for over 30 years and have a one year old 2000. I am NOT pleased with it. Nothing but primer feed problems: the tract for the primer feed does not feed properly... primers hang up going into the primer mechanism. I have replaced the original primer feed with an up grade and that has recently broken down. Whiz tried to fix it and it does not place the primer directly in the hole. I discovered that the factory had shimmed the triangular primer guide with a lock washer -- not called for in the book. This shim allows the primer arm a little more length to seat the primer in the primer feed hole. They know they have a problem. In general, PW has not had the quality control - I returned an 800+ after a few motnhs because of a variety of problems. I think it is time to seriously consider a Spolar - I am calling Dixie on Monday... Just tired of fixing PW problems. Fred

8. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I'm on my third P-W, an 800+, following a 375C and a 600B. Liked the 375, loved the 600 (but P-W discontinued it and its support) and adore the 800+. I might like a Spolar better, but it would take me a lot longer to find the money to pay for the loader with all four gauges. I'm not changing; I'm delighted with the 800+.

Tony

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- Why does life treat us like that? I promise to never again say to a fellow shooter "look at him smash those targets, I don't think he can miss."

Pat Ireland

10. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

I have a Platinun 2000 I bought from Whiz 2 years ago on Ebay. I have had no problems with it and love it. Have not used an 800. The only advantage I see with the 800 is being able to change to a different gauge faster.

John

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I ordered a Spolar yesterday. I don't want to be a mechanic anymore. Fred

12. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Don't know how long it takes to change gauges on a PW 800 but I can change my Spolar in under 4 min and make no adjustments, just start reloading.

Jack

13. dhockett

dhockett TS Member

After exhausting research, bought an 800+ from the Whiz. Could not be more pleased. I have experienced a couple of primer feed "hangs" but after a few hundred rounds, seems to have smoothed out. Handles a variety of hulls without issue and produces excellent reloads. Gauge change time is similar to the Spolar.

No denying the Spolar is great stuff but it looks like Chevy's and Beemers to me. Chevy,s do what you want them to do but don't look as cool in the parking lot. You won't be disappointed with either machine

Dollar value for dollar spent, the 800+ is a good buy. If you want the mother of all reloaders and have several grand to throw around, go for the Spolar with hydraulics.

Dave Hockett

14. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

I have an 800+ and love it to death.
    Haven't had any problems with it except for the occasional hung primer, but that is not big deal in my opinion. Would I buy again? Of course I would.

Bill

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Whe 50% of your primers hang up - it is a big issue! Fred

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Fred, shock and dismay. That is all I can say after all the PW promoting you've done. I had a lot of trouble getting primers into the rail but once in the rail I have had no problems from there to the primer post. Once I added a vibrator to the primer tray I solved my problem except when two primers get hooked together at the top of the rail. I see no cure for that, it's a minor nuisance.

Sounds like PW should have fixed your problem or given you a new machine. They must have known there was a problem when they added the washer you mentioned.

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Whiz has been most helpful. Fred

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I "think" what Fred is experiencing is a problem I recently noticed.

P/W sells TWO types of Primer Rams. One for the older 800B and the one for all machines newer that the 800B.

Darrell Diedrickson noticed recently that the roller bolt hole locations differed just a few thousandths. I checked, and sure enough, there was enough of a discrepancy that a ram could conceivably be just a hair short of fully dropping the primer onto the seating post. Thus, when Fred's handle went back to its home position, the ram would withdraw and because it did not fully drop the primer, the ram would tip the top of the primer just enough to cause him these problems.

He has reshipped back to me his seating assembly, and I am installing the longer ram.

I think I will be at the factory in early May. At that time I will try to convince Brian to simply make only one ram, the longer one. It is OK if it's too long, but it cannot be too short, or we see these problems discussed here. In some machines they work without a glitch, but I have even experienced in my shop.

[​IMG]

John: Thanks for the nice words.

Whiz

19. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Whiz: As we communicated, at least I am not crazy. Well not about this any way. Now the results of this problem are manifold:<BR>1. No powder in a shell because the primer fails to seat [had one of those today]<BR>
    2. Watching the primer to the point of forgetting to place a wad<BR>3. Adjusting the primer feed where it seats a primer to deep [have a series of these]<BR>4. Having to turn the powder off because a primer did not feed and forgetting to turn it on<BR>5. Just general frustration of not being able to reload a box of shells without problems.

My real frustration is that PW knows there is a problem and is not proactive about fixing it. Instead they place a washer in the traingular roller guide to extend the primer arm reach - a part that is not listed. Shame on them! Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fix platum 2000 pw loader