1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW LOADER PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wadman, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wadman

wadman TS Member

My Platinum 2000 does not drop the correct amount of shot. The #6 bushing drops 500 grains of shot and the 5.5 drops about 430. I am trying to get 493.3 according the data for 1 1/8 loads. It also fold down the corner of the hull when it sets the wad on about one out of every 10 shells. HELP PLEASE.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

A round file can adjust a shot bushing to drop more shot. Bending the hull with the wad is most likely a finger problem. It could also be caused by a worn bushing in cut out advancement grove.

Pat Ireland

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The aluminum Pacific Hornady bushings work better than the steel P/W bushings. Fred

4. mod12man

mod12man TS Member

you are only talking about 5 1/2 pellets if your loading 7 1/2s. hardly worth worrying about, but if you really wanted to you could use a peice of masking tape inside the bushing. Hornady bushings will work too, and they come in shot size specific sizes and are made out of aluminum in case you wanted to file on it to open it up a bit. tried new wad fingers?

5. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

wadman ,

Personally , I wouldn't sweat a nom. 1% error in the load ; but it it buggs you to the point of distraction , try the next larger shot size in the "bigger" bushingor the next smaller shot size in the "smaller" bushing .

Or , if you are using chilled shot , try mag shot in the #6 or if you are using mag shot already , try chilled shot in the #5.5 .

Other than those , you can try permutations of size and hardness ; opening the the #5.5 or puttin' sumthin' into the #6

As far as the wad insertion problem , check to see if one of the fingers is missing from the guide . If OK , watch carefully to see if a finger is slipping outside of the case as the guide/holder lowers on to the case . Another thing to check is to see if the guide is slipping up and out of the mouth of the case just before the wad gets into the mouth of the case .

Charlie

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Or when all else fails... use factory ammo. Fred

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The bushing drops volume not weight, it will vary with the brand of shot. Your wad guide may need to be disassembled and cleaned or the wad guide finger may be broken.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Rick: Years ago, I contended that I could load more accurate shells than the factory... I was right! I cut open 10 factory shells and weighed the contents -powder and shot. Then weighed ten reloads from my then 950E PW. The factory had a plus or minus 10 grains on my electronic powder scale and my reloads fell within less than plus or minus 5 range. I don't remember the shot counts or weights... but my reload drops were more consistent. However, the nice thing about shot gun shells is that absolute accuracy in the load simply doesn't matter. If you handed me a shell and told me to shoot a target, the only thing I may be able to tell you was the comfort level of the shell. I couldn't tell you 8's from 7.5's or even 6's. Does the target break? Fred

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I bought a new PW once. I kept it 4 months, and I don't beleave I ever made more than 15 shells straight whithout a screw up. The machine look's like a work of art, and to each his own, but I though the PW was a piece of junk. I sold it after 4 months for $375, and I though I was ripping the poor guy off, even after taking a big hit on the purchase price. I now have two Dillons, and they work great.

I Know all you PW fans will bite my ear for saying what I did, but if I was to grade reloaders PW would be at the bottom of my list.

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I bought a new 800+ last year, and had some start up issues. I think many of them were just my not being familiar with the machine. One of the big areas that drove me nuts was the primer feed. P/W had machined the ram short on two replacement units I had bought, which caused the primer to not drop. I still have both of them in my parts drawer, just to remind me to measure should I take it apart again. Now that I understand the machine, and the primer ram is the right cut, I honestly can run flat after flat and never have a hiccup of any sort. Knock on wood, of course.

I used to watch EVERY primer drop, but it has gotten so consistent and never misses, I am not doing that. I probably should, but so far, it has not been necessary.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Shot410ga, I know what you mean about the PW being a "work of art". I have an 800+ and I struggle with it. The best I can do is 500-600 shells an hour even after adding the case feeder.

I am looking for a deal on one in 28 ga. They are such a crappy machine there must be someone out there wanting to unload one. I figure I can "live with it" if it is cheap enough, as I will not be shooting a lot of 28 ga shells. I was going to get a good MEC but I need the added weight of the PW because my bench is a bit wobbly and the mass should help steady things up.

Don

12. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Dverna, if you're serious about loading 28 ga., contact me. I've got something you might be interested in.

Tony

13. elitekolar12

elitekolar12 TS Member

If you are having trouble with the wads hanging and grabbing the case. I can say without a doubt that it is the wad guide fingers hanging, sometimes they look perfect , but you can put in a new one and it will work perfect for years. At present time I have 3 P/W loaders, a 800B that I bought used in 1971, still works fine. Got a good buy on a 950 and I load my singles shell with it, Then another buy I could not turn down it is a Platium 2000.Load my Hdcp with that one. I have had extremely good luck with these loaders. Oh yes I still have the 800B on the bench (as a Shrine) to good workmanship.
    IMHO
    Bob Roberts

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

fssberson
    "I was right! I cut open 10 factory shells and weighed the contents -powder and shot. Then weighed ten reloads from my then 950E PW. The factory had a plus or minus 10 grains on my electronic powder scale and my reloads fell within less than plus or minus 5 range."
    Plus or minus 10 gr. of powder? I find that unbelievable. Perhaps you should change your bifocals? FD

PS purchase a "The Grand" by RCBS and all your troubles will disappear.

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Farmer D ... put in decimal point in front of the 10 = .10 It was a long time ago. Not having any issues with the PW. I prefer the 2000 Platinum over the 800+. Fred

16. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

shot410ga.. I had miy 800+ just over 3 months. For me it was an issue that I like to play with various reloads. My Grabber is quite easy to change recipes on and I don't have to think about it much. If I had 1 load I dearly loved and would NEVER change, Yes, it's a very solid built to last PW. If I wanted to spend the next 3 winters "learning" the machine, YES, it's a great machine. For me, I went back to my old MEC and spent the $945 on components and rounds. To each his own I guess. I didn't care for the Dillon much either but I rated it more user friendly than the PW but not built as well. Although broken parts are free. I've never broken a part on my MEC in 18 years. Again, to each his own.

17. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

I own a PW 2000 and love it. I bought from Whiz White tho not PW. I have found that the components have a big effect. If I reload all remington this thing never fails.I start mixing wads,primers, ect ect, I can feel a difference. I would bet I have maybe 3 failers per 1000 and 2 of those were my fault.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.