1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Loader is this to loose? video

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

So I was looking at my loader and noticed alot of slop in the rack gear. I ordered the replacement shaft and all 3 arms. Just a FYI, before I changed it I was worried I may of had some bad shot drops so I checked the openings with worn parts before changing. SO, do you think I had full powder/shot drops? answer to follow.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid147.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr320%2Fhimark900%2Fphotobucket-5187-1329865020438.mp4">

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Mine has about that much play, but my drops are consistent.

John

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Totally normal.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

First thing that comes to mind is that you need to be darn careful operating the machine without the top shot & powder reservoir as I watch your video. That Rack Gear can position itself loose, such that it could break off either the front or rear aluminum casting ears on the right front and rear where the thumb screws go.

The manual even specifies that you may need to actually PULL the Rack Gear towards you that last 1/2" or so, when you want to remove either the shot or powder bushings.

Look below for the Upper Actuating Arm's "free play.

When guys readjust the Index Pad's height, that in and of itself can introduce all sorts of unwanted free-play of the Rack Gear, or it eliminates it entirely. Elimination of the REAR free-play is what generally causes the Rack Gear to smack the rear opening in the top toolhead. Continual "smacking" will cause the Upper Link to fail/crack.

Photo below indicated where you want that 1/8" or so of free play on the back stroke.

[​IMG]

Whiz

5. dward

dward Member

I have a 2000 with hydraulics and love loading on it, but the linkage that drives the powder drops is the one "weak" link on the loader IMHO. The hex bar/arms that the linkage is driven by will eventually wear and there will be slack between the single arm and the double arm that drives it. After watching the gears and pins it's my opinion that the only slack that develops with use is the slack between the arms. Hold the double arms in place and see how much the single arm can move. When the hex and arms are new there is very little. In time it increases, and tightening up the end nuts will help temporarily, but it's ultimately how tight the arms fit onto the hex connection that determines that "slack".

I have the quick powder bushing removal set up and when I remove the powder bushing cover I can see if the bushing slides completely over the powder drop opening. On mine it's beginning to fall a bit short and there is a little corner where a bit of powder can stay. I've thought about JB welding the arms onto the hex bar, and might give that a try before I order new arms and hex.

So related to the "slack", the first thing I'd check is whether the powder bushing is sliding all the way over the drop openings and also under the powder tube. And then I'd check to see how much "slack" there is between the arms.

Big Dan

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Yes, It lined up 100%. I took a photo looking down but it didnt come out very good. I was very surprised! I figured I was getting partial coverage. Anyway, Point of this thread is if you have what seems to be alot of play in it and it is not any worse than mine...you are still getting good drops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.