1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW loader adjustments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I've been having trouble getting my PW to crimp my shells correctly. The final crimp seems to be pushed way down in the middle. I can't seem to get it to adjust. Any ideas?

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are you sure that you're using the proper wad?

Ed Yanchok

3. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

It doesn't matter which wad I use. I'm currently using a AA wad with a AA hull withe winchester handicap powder (20.9 grains).

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What are you adjusting?

The depth of the crimp is set with the center stud that goes through the top platen. Loosen the jam nut on the top side of the platen and adjust the center stud up or down in the top platen and tighten the jam nut. To reduce the crimp depth adjust the center stud further into the top platen.

The nut located below the top platen adjusts the pressure on the outer part of the crimp die. This adjusts the spring pressure which affects the amount of taper on the shell.

Jim Skeel

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sounds more like a powder, shot wad ratio prob to me

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It does sound like the hull isn't quite full, but try backing off on the wad pressure if you have any set in. Set the wad ram so that it just gets the ends of the wad petals down into the hull to where the crimp shoulder roll starts. The over-powder cup may not even touch the powder; that's OK.

I use no wad pressure at all; I can rattle my hull and die around when the bottom crosshead is all the way up. That should leave your shot sitting down only about 3/8" from the mouth of the hull. Let the crimping process push the shot and the wad down. That usually holds up the center of the crimp.

MK

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I'll try backing off the wad pressure.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

What does the pre-crimp look like?

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Looks pretty normal. It is kinda open

10. Unknown1

For a new-style AA hull you will want to set the crimp starter so that the petals are folded over a bit more than halfway to horizontal if using the star cone.

MK

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

kgun_shooter- If the final crimp is "pushed down in the middle" as you described then you need to either lower the crimp starter, put more stuff in the hull, or both. If the final crimp is very tight and the edges are smashed out, you would need to raise the final crimp plate.

Five pounds or less wad pressure is adequate. Make sure you are not loading 1 oz of shot in a wad designed for 1 1/8 oz of shot. Also make sure nothing is blocking the shot tube. Little strands of plastic from a shot bag can sometimes get into the shot drop tube.

Pat Ireland

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

AA Handicap powder is very low volume. You might want to try a 1oz. wad!!

13. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Thanks for all the responses! I looked in the PW manual and it showed how to properly adjust the wad pressure. Once I did that everything is loading great. The funny thing is that I don't ever remember changing the wad pressure to begin with.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

What reloader model? That makes a difference.

You do NOT want to seat the wad any lower than its top pedals at the height of the top ring of the hull, just under the fingers. You should not pre-crimp more than 30º, but up to 45º is OK. See picture below.

WadHeightsinHull-1.jpg

If you error on the side of seating the wad higher, then you will not get that "caved in" look. I let the pre-crimp and final crimp stages push the wad down with the shot in the cup and that sets the proper height.

Lower the final crimper *just* enough to give a good crimp. I error on the side of a bit too much final crimp, but it you have the 800B/C/CVT machine you don't get the opportunity to get that factory rounded look, unless you have Tru-Crimp.

Tru-Crimp has lower dies that measure around 2" in height, versus 2.37" for the older full-length dies.

Honestly, today, there is no such thing as "Wad Pressure". This went out with the fiber wad. You should invest in the Adjustable Wad Ram that sets the depth of the wad, not wad pressure.

[​IMG]

I disagree with some of the comments above. With the new high strenght (HS), AA hull, you'll need to raise the pre-crimp head about 1/8" or a tad bit more. Also, as I mentioned above, error on the side of (1) seating the wad higher than normal, and (2) less pre-crimp on the hull's fingers.

Whiz

15. Unknown1

Unless I lower the crimp starter by about 1/16 inch lower than what I use for Remington hulls, I end up with holes in the center of the crimp IF I am using the 8-point starter head. Adjusting final crimp pressure in an attempt to close the holes simply results in deep or shallow crimps with holes still in the center. Winchester made that recommendation when they introduced the 2-piece hull and I find it works.

I can eliminate the adjustment by switching to the smooth-cone crimp starter head P-W markets for paper hulls. It starts the crimp at a shallower angle but extends it further down the hull so there is more hull made available to the center of the crimp. I DO need to inspect the hulls for uniform crimp folds as I put them in the loader, though. A hull with a out of shape "star" is likely to end up with an out of shape crimp. I correct bad stars on an old Lee Load-All mounted on the bench beside the 900.

MK

16. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I looked in the PW manual and it showed how to properly adjust the wad pressure. Once I did that everything is loading great. The funny thing is that I don't ever remember changing the wad pressure to begin with."</I></blockquote>

You didn't need to change the wad pressure to end up with it set incorrectly. Changing hulls and/or wads will sometimes require a change in the height of the wad ram.

MK

17. whiz white

Because I load Federal papers, I finally succumbed to using the smooth-head paper crimp head. I really didn't need to because, (1) I don't care if the 6-point fold was proper or not (no holes were permitted), and (2) I only reload once fired hulls ONCE, so letting them fly was the end of them.

I left it on, however, because I didn't want to continually bother with using it, then the 8-point head. It did such a great job with the old style AA, new-style AA, and Nitro hulls I reload, that I simply kept it on and used it for every type of hull.

I NEVER have the pre-crimper fold the hull half-way, in fact 45º is too much on my machine. I error on the side of 30º or less.

When Winchester addressed many of the complaints they received with their new High Strength (2 piece) hull, and some they asked me to return to them, they recommended that I LOWER the precrimp head. In doing that, I eliminated the "hole" in the crimp center, and actually produced a great looking shell.

I used Winchester wads in all my tapered hulls, whether they be AA or Nitro's (same as STS). I could care less about whose primer to use, as I may use AA (old and new), Remington, and Federals in one reloading session.

The P/W factory will also recommends (after I consulted with them) the lowering of the pre-crimp head 1/8"-1/4" to eliminate the hole, and produce a great reload.

Whiz

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I set my pre-crimp to squeeze the folds down to about an 1/8" hole on AA's. AA's vary a little in length and that works well enough to duplicate the factory crimp. Rems will also always crimp ok.

19. whiz white

I agree, Jerry, about the Rem hulls.

I don't shoot STS, but do shoot Nitro 27 from the 27 and I absolutely love the hull. Unfortunately, I have about 30K or the old once-fired AA's which I also love, but about the same in the new HS hull.

I'll end up loading all for singles, as I like to duplicate the Federal Extra-Lite 8½ shell, and they are hard to find any longer.

Whiz

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.