1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Last Station

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pedagogue, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I just notice the picture of the new PW and it has a "mop" to clean/lube? the dies. I have always used a bronze brush at the same station. If the "mop" is better what do you put on it, how often and what does it do. Will this help sizing steel cases in the PW 2000. Thanks jack

2. skeezix

skeezix Member

I've talked to folks that use CLP on a mop. I prefer the chamber brush myself. I try not to use steel based hulls.

John

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's the second station but... No, it won't help the resizing of steel bases because nothing that can be in that holder is long enough to get down to the bottom of the die where the sizing takes place. You're actually better off buying a Mec "Supersizer" and resizing the hulls before you process them.

Some people use a bore mop and put silicone or something similar on it; other people put a bore brush in the holder and use it to scrub down the walls of the upper half of the die.

I don't do either: a wet mop leaves something in the die that attracts dirt and the brush isn't necessary if I don't use cruddy hulls. Besides, I pull the dies when I change loads and clean them manually.

A mop or brush in station 2 just blocks my view of the crimping stations and they're more important.

MK

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I prefer to use a mop with a little oil on it. This keeps the dies slick and shiny.
    Don

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Unknown1 above. I have three PW's on my bench and two have no brush or mop. One does have a brush and I can't tell anydifference except I can't see the process as well.

I shoot a ton of steel hulls and like them. I also agree with Unknown1 on sizing. Buy a MEC Supersizer and have at it. I decap on an old single stage press, size and then go to the PW's. It takes longer but makes life a lot easier in the long run. Some (most) on these threads will say this is nuts but if you have access to a ton of steel hulls. Why not load them? You can buy a Supersizer for about $30 on e-bay and and there are pawn shops that will just about give you a single stage press. A net PW aint cheap! Why abuse it.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Not all P/W machines have the gun-thread hole on the underside of th top toolhaed at Station #1 which accepts the rod and which holds either the brush or swab.

Those machines without this hole require the aluminum add-on block which then holds the rod.

I have always used a 10 ga brush o both my P/W and Spolar, and every once in a while, I'll set up 8-10 hulls on the bench and spray the brass with WD-40, the stick them in and reload.

I don't reloadany steel based hulls, so I can't advise on them.

Whiz<br>
    P/W Distributor

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A bronze brush helps to clean any build up from the shell holders. You need a chamber brush (available at Brownells) because a bore brush is not large enough to do anything.

I use a wool mop and BreakFree CLP on my .410 to lubricate the dies. I remove the chamber brush (I like to use a .45 caliber chamber brush) and replace it with the wool mop every 100 to 200 shells. I leave the wool mop on for 16 shells just to lubricate the dies then go back to the chamber brush. This greatly reduces the instances where the shell mushrooms over the die on the last station.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.