1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW is crushing wad into shell :(

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

It happen very often when I use 7/8 grey wad.
    I just compared it to 1oz and 1 1/8oz and figured out that the grey one is 2-3mm longer. It makes a big difference when the wad carrier moves the wad in position and the wad's bar is about to push the wad down. The wad's bar is bending one petal and then crushes down the wad and all process is ruined.
    What I did, I putted a small washer under the wad's bar to adjust the distance, but still my process is out consistency.
    I used 7/8 for 1oz wad looks ok to me, but I bought many of7/8 and want to use then all.

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ansvel I do believe that the wad ram is adjustable(I am not sure about all models but it is on my 900)you could adjust the ram up just far enough to clear the wad and it should fix the problem. There are others on this website that know more about the machines than I that my also chime in on this thread.

Bob Lawless

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Shorten the rod that sets the wad depth. Your crimp die can/should seat the over powder cup. Have it clear the shot cup pedals. I have had the same problem.

4. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 John Thompson
    I have PW 800C. The only one way to make that rod short is to put some washer under. I can control the tension only.

5. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I switch back and forth from 7/8-1-1/8oz on my 800B with no trouble,,,sorry its no help maybe you are not pushing the wad deep enough into the wad basket,could give it a try !

6. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 sammyd95
    I just drop the wad into carrier. If I push it down then petals will be open and the ram will not push into the shell's mouth.

7. ivanhoe

ansvel when you say "The only one way to make that rod short is to put some washer under" please explain washers UNDER???? This is not understood by me as the Shell is under the Rod(wad ram).

Bob Lawless

8. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 ivanhoe

OK. I opened this block, inside were spring, rod and bolt which is pushing the spring down to the rod. I added a small washer from inside between rod and the body of this block. In other words, because of washer I lifted up the rod and increased the distance between the wad carrier and rod.

9. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

The wad is getting crushed because it starts to push through the wad finger before the fingers are in hull. Wiz White sells a new adjustable length wad ram that is easy to replace and corrects this flaw. It is realy nice and when properly adjusted will give you better crimps then the tension ram does.

10. ivanhoe

ansvel on the machine that I have there is a tube that pushes the wad into the shell down through the wad cup. On top of the frame there is a knurled nob with a large slotted screw head inside of it. If you have this on your machine
    and I am not sure you do back off on the knurled nob and turn the screw to move the rod up or down.

Remember I have a 900 models and have never owned an 800 model so I am not sure if they are the same. On the three 900s that I have this tube can be moved up or down as needed. I also have a 950 and it is the same as my 900s.

You can use the link above in the web URL line to go to PW's web site and purchase a owners manual for the 800 convertible. I think that is the right manual for your machine

Bob Lawless

11. ansvel

ansvel Member

OK thanks to all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.