1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW info Please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Thanks in advance--I need to know what changes are made to load a GOOD looking Federal Paper hull on a 800 PW. I am using Red Dot and 1 1/8 oz of shot with a down range wad, not that it should matter. My loads are not consistant in appearance. Some will load looking like a new shell and some will have crimps that stick up above level. Where the crimp mets in the center, a few plys of paper will fold back just a wee bit. This is not a problem, it just does not look like a new shell. I do use the smooth cone crimper and have even spun and polished it to a smoother surface. I have found that incerting the hull into the die on the first station instead of setting it on the post will help this.
    How do you set the spring tension for crimping? Is it different from plstics?
    Do you want a deeper shot to top of hull dimension. Do you set the final crimp and ejection die differently, more tension/less tension? I know that some of you have years experienc with the PW and I am new to this loader. My plastics are as good as expected but my papers do not suit me.
    Just thought some of you migh have a trick or two that take years and tons of loads to develope-----again------tahnks in advance.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Why not email whiz@swsupply.com directly? He is a P/W dealer, heck of a nice guy, and I think is a Federal Paper lover. I am pretty sure he will know any tricks of the trade to help you out.

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Will do and thanks!

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I could wait for the email, but since I am here... here's my comments.

I reload Federal papers all the time on my P/W. I change NOTHING hardware-wise. I probably should change the pre-crimp head to accept the smooth top for Federal papers, but don't. It is not worth the effort and I don't like changing things around like that.

My reloads are great, except the folds in the crimp are not perfect without changing to the smooth head. The final hull looks PERFECT, except the folds may not be folded at their original crease, but the finished shell looks 100% perfect aside from the creases... and they shoot wonderfully. I used them in 16 yards and doubles, and have broken many 100 straights with this reload with 8½ shot.

Since you should not reload the papers PROBABLY more than once, it's not big deal to me. Reloading more than once you will notice small pin-hole burn throughs.

I am more concerned about your choice of wads. A standard AA, Nitro, STS wad base measures 0.702" in diameter. You SHOULD NOT use these wads in a Federal paper or ANY WAD designed for a tapered hull case. Federal papers require a large diameter wad of 0.718".

Oh, some folks who do not own chronographs will argue on this fact, BUT THEY ARE CLUELESS, because a tapered hull case wad permits blow-by and terribly inconsistent velocities. I own a chronograph and believe me when I tell you NOT TO USE A TAPERED WAD in a Federal paper case.

I do not know what Downrange has for wads, but the Claybuster CB3118-12AR has a larger diameter over-powder cups (0.718") similar to the origial Federal two-piece 12C1 wad designed for the paper case. I use either the original 12C1 or the CB3118-12AR.

Right or wrong wad, you will still see some paper bits flying around with a once-fired reload. That's just the nature of the case.

[​IMG]

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distirbutor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.