1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Help...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LWLarson, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I am having trouble catching at the wad insertion station of my 950 Elite. It always appears to catch the lip of the hull on the side facing away from me. I have discussed this at length with the friend that I bought the unit from.

I had the same problem about 2 years back... Jean at PW suggested looking at the retaining ring that holds the spring/assembly in the wad insertion arm. The original retaining ring was warped, so it was out of round causing resistance so the wads would come through prematurely. I replaced that ring with a new one, and had 3000-4000 shells go through without the crushing issue. Recently it started again. I checked the wad fingers, and switched them to see if they were worn. Didn't help, I also changed the roller bearing to make sure the timing was right. The one question I have is how much play/wiggle should be in that wad insertion assembly. There is a slight amount of play, and I am wondering if this is enough to let the wads go through off center. I could try replacing the pin that runs the groove to rotate the arm assembly.

Any thoughts out there???

Thanks,

LWL

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Make certain the wad guide spring has not slipped up on the wad guide shaft. Also, be certain that the wad ram is not going down prematurely. You should adjust the wad ram so it puts very little wad pressure on the hull. Examine the grove the roller bearing rides in for debris.

Then, when these suggestions fail to help call Jim, Whiz, Doug or Jean. They know PW machines and I suspect one or more of them will respond to this post soon. Pay much more attention to their suggestions than mine.

Pat Ireland

3. Chris

Chris TS Member

I had this trouble with my 950 elite also. It seems that I picked up some new Nitros that were a little longer then they should of been.

Try measuring the overall length and make sure yours aren't too long.

Are these new hulls or have they been reloaded before on this machine?

Chris

4. dward

dward Member

I think you should give old Hillary a call. When Bill was inserting his "wad" in all the wrong places she fixed him right up! I think it was a new set of fingers.......or maybe lips........that solved the problem.

The Big Swede....not to be mistaken with a mechanically challenged Norwegian

5. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Don't get me going on Hillary... My blood pressure can't take much more of her.

I don't think the hull length has anything to do with the issue. I am an equal opportunity crusher on once fired AA's and STS's... as well as multifired. The once fired's are more infrequent though.

I thought it may be a different batch of wads, but changed from WT12's to RXP's and had the same problem. I did talk to Jean today, what a great lady. I ordered some parts that I needed anyway. One thought she had was the teflon sleeve that the wad carraige assembly rides upon. I will inspect hopefully tonight after shooting.

I still think my spring on the wad insertion device may be too firm, and have the wads come through prematurely. The wad ram appears to be centered... I will try to check the pressure on the wad ram when fully inserted in the hull.

Thanks for the input...
    LWL

6. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Dan,

I am assuming you will check this post in the morning... I took my wad insertion assembly apart. The retaining ring on the bottom may be a bit warped. (maybe the same problem as last time) I am going to call Jean in the morning and add that to my parts list.

I did quantify how much force is required to push that spring down. I took a shell box and added 1 1/8 oz shells to it. The mechanism started to move with about 7 shells and did not fully bottom out until I had added 18 shells to the box. Not very scientific, but gives a rough weight. This does seem excessive to me. The wad ram appears to be set about right. I can still move the shell when the tray is fully up. Not much, but can spin it rather easily.

I did take some very fine sand paper and gently sanded the opening on the retaining ring. It appeared to be working better after this. With my primer tray broken, I only did about 25 shells... I am still very tempted to try doubling the wad fingers to add resistance and make sure the fingers are inside the petals before the wad slides thru... It may be one die that is the problem as well. I marked the die on the only shell I crushed... Can you think of a reason why one die would be the problem? I took them all out and wiped them down last week...

Thats the latest in my battle...

LWL

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

LWL- I could not measure the force required to completely depress my wad guide as you did. I do not want to remove the primer feed. It does take some pressure to completely depress by wad guide. If you are crushing shells it would seem that you are forcing the wad on the edge of the shell before it has completely rotated into position. To me, it seems that this could be caused by a weak wad guide spring, not a heavy spring. A weak spring would allow the ram to depress the wad guide and push the wad through the fingers too soon, or do I have something backward?

Please keep us informed about this problem. When I had the same problem it was due to a worn roller bearing, but it seems you have another problem. We need to learn from your misfortune. Help us, after you have helped yourself.

Pat Ireland

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

LWL, I had a similar problem a couple of years ago on my 2000. I was reloading a lot of shells at that time.It was Whiz who bailed me out, and if I remember correctly, it was the fact that you need to keep that assembly dry, no lube, and very clean. I had been using a drop of light oil infrequently and that had collected dust or debris that was causing the problem. Chase Whiz if you can, he is a wealth of information. Good luck, Bob

9. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Pat,

I looked at the timing last night... Checking the hull length as well as the wad assembly being over the hull, and the wad ram pressure. The assembly is fully over the shell before the wad ram moves the wad thru. I believe the wad is coming thru before the fingers are in the hull, and catching the petals of the hull. There are other shells that I fold the petals down on, as well as pull some into the hull. Tipping/rolling the wad is another problem from them catching...

Bob.. my machine certainly has some lube built up in it.. Jean brought that up too. I will try to clean it well when I put in the new parts. My primer tray strip broke off.... The wad guide assembly is very dry and clean...

Thanks for all of the help guys,

LWL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.