1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW-Help Please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I will do my best to use the correct technical terms to describe my problem PW 2000. On the last station where the shell pusher outer rod pushes out the loaded shell, there is a heavy spring that pushes down a collar ring thingy. Well, after 150,000 shells, the spring just broke for no good reason. The shell pusher outer rod goes into another thing and seems to be locked by an Allen set screw. I know how to loosen the Allen head screw, but then what do I do to get the rod out. The rod is the one that looks like it has a flat hat on its end. Years ago someone told me I needed to keep a spare spring and I do have one. All I need to do is get it on the rod. Any suggestions?

Pat Ireland

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Pat: Actually, you don't need to remove that rod.

In the underside of the cup that touches the finished shell, there is a 1/8" Allenhead screw. Remove that, pull out that screw AND the small disc that is held in place with the Allenhead screw. That rod is unscrewed with a nail inserted in the hold in the shaft.

You should, at this time, remove the entire assembly, link and all. Loosen up, do not remove, the top large 3/16" Allenhead cap screw (B) below. I usually smack it first with a small hammer to free it up some. As you unscrew it up, tap the screw back down, forcing the knockout punch down and out. Keep doing that until the whole assembly is loose. You will get the bottom link out as well as the top link that operates the Rack Gear. Check the two Allen head screws (C) that hole the links in place, clean and lube it up.

Do you need me to ship a new spring?

[​IMG]

Whiz

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Thanks Whiz. I would have never thought to look for a screw under the cap. I do have an extra spring.

Pat Ireland

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Actually, Pat, if you've tried loading without the spring you've probably found that the loader works perfectly well without it. After that spring broke on my 800C, I replaced it and it promptly broke again, so I loaded on it while waiting for a new spring. That was 10 years ago and I've never put the new spring on.

Buz

5. JCS

JCS TS Member

I also have the PW 2000 and that same spring kept breaking constantly.

I finally got tired of paying the extortion price for the factory one and just replaced it with a $.99 one from my local Hardware store (same O.D. and length , but softer spring )It has lasted for years now and the machine works great .

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Buz- I did note that the machine worked with the broken spring, but it bothered me more than the machine.

JCS- The spring does look to be heavier than needed. But, the price of a factory spring is not too much and they are available at larger shoots eliminating the shipping costs. If Whiz shows up at the Southern Grand in about two weeks, he will sell at least one spring. But, I know he will not so Jim Cunningham (another PW dealer)might get some of my money. The spring I replaced the broken one with had a price tag of $8 on it. I have no idea how long is has been sitting in my parts drawer.

Pat Ireland

7. whiz white

I sell maybe 2-3 of these a YEAR.

If one keeps breaking, then there's something else amiss, i.e., lose rod, canted/cocked knockout shaft, or something else.

I won't be at the S/G... I'm having a helluva time convincing myself to start again shooting registered targets at my local club. I have really lose interest in competitive shooting. Sad, because now I really have the time and money to do it.

Whiz

8. JCS

JCS TS Member

Pat ,I agree with alfermann .

The $8 (or more)factory spring does nothing as far as I can see, and keeps breaking ( I went thru 2 in ~ 25k rounds )

My machine has been very happy with the $0.99 replacement from the local Hardware store for at least the last 4 years and probably would be just as happy without any spring at all. Lol

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz- What can I do to convince you that shooting trap needs to become a major part of your life? If for no other reason, consider all of the new friends you still have to meet.

At this time, I do not think breaking a spring every 100,000 shells is excessive.

Pat Ireland

10. whiz white

PAT: I keep getting the prod from my buddy down in NE. We have planned a day when it warms up for me to shoot 500 doubles, and then some long yardage the next day.

I'm kinda looking forward to that, even though I have to travel 100 miles.

I'll hopefully shoot a spring league to get back into the swing of things. I would like to shoot my new P-gun, but will have my old standby P-gun close by. It's kept me on the 27 for a LONG time.

My local club has about 10-12 tough, really tough 27 yarders, and I enjoy shooting with most of them.

I took off a couple of years in the past so this has not been the first time. I still need a few thousand to get my 50,000 singles. I should be close to 25K in doubles and handicap.

Now, if the weather would warm up so I can shoot in shorts, but not in 104ยบ...getting too old for that.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.