1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW from HE_ _ Purchased on Ebay

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smithy47, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Last week I won (lost I think) the bid on a used Ponsness Warren 800B. The description stated that it was “clean” and “in working condition”.

I really did not need another shotshell reloader as I already have (4) 12 ga reloaders (Texan, MEC 9000G, 9000H, and Super 600) MEC grabbers in 20ga, 28ga, and 410ga.

I unpacked the PW and bolted it down to my bench. It was neither clean or working. I contacted the Ebay seller stating that it should have been sold for parts. He refunded part of the purchase price.

I am a tinkerer and wanted to see why people think so highly of these machines so instead of trying for a complete refund I decided to keep it. I went to Whiz White’s web site and read much the info he has there. I highly recommend that before you purchase a used PW you go to his website first, he is right on target with great advice. He also has all an inexperienced person like me needs to work on the PW.
    I followed Whiz instructions, cleaned up the machine, lubricated it, made all the adjustments needed to get it working. It now will reload shells.

FYI --- some of the issues with this machine:

All the lubricant was dried up and caked on everything. There was also a lot of surface rust that had to be cleaned up, surprising that there was no pitting. The dies all had plastic galled up on the inside of each one.

The timing was not correct. It would stop at different increments and made no sense. I thought the gears were messed up but that was not the problem. Once I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the indexing gear cap, turned the spur gear around to get undamaged surface, and cleaned up the main indexing gear, the die head (cylinder) then rotated and snapped into the correct position each pull of the handle.

I could not figure out why it took so much force to move the last inch or so of stroke. I found that someone had put a washer on top of the final crimp spring. Once I removed it, the spring fully seated where it was suppose to in the tool head and it now stroked easily.

The wad carrier gave me trouble, mashing the wad into the shell instead of going into it. ( I put a new wad finger on, the old one was missing most of the fingers) I found that the wad ram was stuck (no spring action) and also hit the top of the wad causing it to fold one peddle over. This caused the wad guide to be pressed too far down to allow the wad guide fingers to be inserted into the hull before the wad tried to go in. I had to use a screw jack to remove the whole wad ram assembly to clean it up. I also moved the assembly up about 1/8 inch to clear the top of the wad. The wad carrier bolt also had a piece of plastic under it (punched out from the plastic bushing). Once it was removed the bolt bottomed out to the correct position. I also disassembled the wad carrier, cleaned up the moving parts and reassembled it. The wad carrier now worked correctly.

The last thing I had to do is get the primers to feed. I cleaned out the groove where the primer tray ramp bolts onto the primer feed assy, got it lined up correctly and it now will feed primers.

I now have a working 800B machine that produced reloads quickly and, so far, reliably.

Thanks very much to Whiz White for his free on-line help. (I also talked to him via phone, a really nice guy!)

Bob

2. setool

setool Member

Bob,

You certainly found the "RIGHT GUY" to help you with your P/W. Whiz is probably more knowledgable than the factory on these presses. He is "THE MAN"!!

Mark Schneider

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

As I have stated many times. The biggest problem with PW loaders is PW owners. That machine is meant to work "just so' not with a penny stuck here and crap stuck there. it's a precision piece of equipment. Jeff

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Jeff is right, none of these loaders are designed to be maintained and repaired with "duct tape and baling wire" methods. Keep them clean and use appropriate lubricants in the appropriate places only!

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Thanks for the kind words.

Ya, I quit using bailing wire and duct tape to fix these a while back. Seems that my recently deceased Westie would attack the wads of duct tape lying about the shop's floor, or hanging off my clothes, causing me to spend more time removing it from him than I did working on the reloaders. (Whew - long sentence. English prof told me once NEVER to [or is it "to NEVER"? make a sentence a paragraph long, but he'd dead now, so...)

Now, I just use my brand new super dooper installed big lathe. In fact, I love it so much the other half was contemplating just how I could sleep close to it than her... I'm seriously considering asking Santa for a hammock to hang hnear it so I can ly down and watch TV and affectionately gaze at the lathe thinking up projects!

Merry Christmas!

Whiz White

6. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Whiz, I corrected my post to spell your name properly, sorry.

I got the gear and powder baffle today. Thanks for the prompt delivery.

I am thinking of loading some paper shells, got a 6 point crimp starter?

I also have a machine shop. My wife has often said I should put a bed in the shop as I spend so much time there. It is nice to be able to make your own bushings, or whatever you need. I also made a powder bushing adapter to take the MEC bushings as I have many of them.

Thanks again Whiz !!!

Bob

7. setool

setool Member

Hey Whiz.... Glad to hear you got the lathe in operation (the electric problem).

As per usual, I'm a little behind on the "project", but it is not stagnant. Will talk to you soon.

Mark Schneider

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I load paper on my P2000 all the time. I bought the 6 point crimper but the original one works better. Don't waste your money

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I agree, although I do have the 6-pt heads, to either use the 8 pt of the paper cone.

I switched to the paper cone and then left it on the machine to load all my AA's, and Nitros. Works fine using the paper smooth cone.

Whiz

10. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Cubancigar, I loaded paper hulls today with my 800B PW and you are right, they crimped just fine with the 8 point crimp starter. Thanks for the tip!

I am also looking for some reloading tips for this press.

How are you capturing the finished shells? Is this designed to cut a hole in your table top with a box underneath or let them sprawl all over the back of the table ??? I guess I could put some stilts under the corners raising it up enough to have them drop into a box ------ (did I answer my own question???)

I am really getting to like this thing, it is like pulling the handle of a slot machine. LOL

Thanks in advance !!!!

Bob

11. ONClaybuster

ONClaybuster TS Member

I hope you gave the guy on Ebay the right feed back.

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

On my loader,, cut hole in table,,, used part of large plastic tub cut to catch shells,,, and installed a deep drawer under hole,,, holdes about 400 shells

13. kd185

kd185 Member

mines setup to dispense the shells out the front

14. TjayE

TjayE Member

Question: Is there an easy fix for the primer feed assembly when the track break/separates from the tray? Tom

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Have it tig welded.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't bother with welding unless the spot welds have separated from the the underside of the tray and the chute is still intact (unlikely). If the chute broke across the bend where the chute and tray meet, that's where the stress of flexing is concentrated. The weld will be more brittle than the parent metal and it WILL break again in the same place...soon.

Replace the assembly and call Tanya at the factory and have her explain how she she installs them on new machines. The secret seems to be to minimize building twisting and bending stresses into the assembly as it's installed.

MK

17. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

Smithy47,

I feel your pain, and joy!

I too had an Ebay from you know where experience with a PW and a PITA seller. This guy was in Portland, OR and actually had two machines on ebay and slightly different times. A 28 ga 900 elite and a 20 ga 900. The pictures for the 28 were apparently WAY better than the 20's so he re-used those pictures for the 20ga. When I pressed him for info on the SE# he sent me a PIC of the SE#, the one listed in the auction. Only thing was it was for the MUCH newer 28 ga. that he had already sold. Was a 5 digit number (in the 10,000's) WOW a great score a newer machine and ready to update....WRONG!!!!!

The machine I finally received from UPS via a trip around the horn, was a machine that Tony at PW says was made in the early 80's. Not a problem, I can work with it. The big kicker was when I opened the box I was assaulted by this massive stench of WD40!!!!!!! this bozo had soaked the machine in WD$ to get it working again.

I had his phone number and I called him told him i was VERY, repeat VERY concerned (family site verbage here) and said I was going to sick the Ebay cops up his you know what. He apologized and said to send it back. I said "Not So Fast" "It is not like you sent me an old Pacific single stage piece of &*#$!" I am going to keep this, get it working and make you foot the bill on the necessary parts to bring it to the level of a machine you advertised. I made him buy most of the parts from Tonya at PW. Spent about two whole days stripping this beast, cleaning it, re-lubing it and reassembling it and now I have a working 20 ga. 900 Size-O-Matic, almost.

Currently waiting for a couple more parts. the Primer tray and track were damaged in shipping and would not feed primers. Once that is here (here on the 24th) it will be up and running.

I did not know about Whiz and his site until now, or at least his expertise, but the folks at PW have been GREAT.

Now If I can only get them to make me a case feed system for the 20 ga. Thats another post......

18. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

P.S.

This is my second 900. I was given one from a friend for photographing his wedding. He shoots a H&H 2 1/2" 12 ga, so he could no longer use it... Go figure!

PW's from Ebay are fine, IF you know what you are looking at and have experience with them. I would have never tried to get this if it weren't for having some experience with the first one.

GREAT machines, like the post said earlier. The problem with PW's are the owners. Most are tinkerers by definition and there for they get "Tweaked" and that is where the issues come from. I will promise you that the machine I "WON" on ebay was PERFECT when it left Idaho.

19. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Simphoto, fun wasn't it!.

I have to admit that I am probably not just a tinker. I went through an apprenticeship and worked for 11 years as an all around machinist in the aircraft industry. I then worked for quite some time as a maintenance machinist for a large electric utility in their power plants. I have been doing gunsmithing on the side for 40 years and have a well equipped machine shop.

I have been retired for 4 years and took up skeet, trapshooting, and sporting clays. I got on this site about 2 or 3 years ago and have been impressed with the helpfulness and thoughtfulness of most of the posters. It kind of makes you want to jump in and help others. A lot of good info shared here.
    Glad the PW's worked for you. Whiz will get my business, he is great to deal with.

Bob

20. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

It was actually fun.

Fun to crawl up that guys A$$ and make him perform.

The up side to this is now that I have it ($465.00 on Ebay) and a few bucks more and a bunch of rags and Q-Tips later I have a machine that is as close to new as I can afford and I KNOW what kind of condition it is in. Short of getting a new 2000, I am VERY happy with this experience, truly I am.

Now all I need is for thew weather to get a little better so I can do some shootin'. In the mean time I guess I will just have to kill some geese. Dirty job but somebody has to do it.

Merry Christmas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.