1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Electronic auto-drive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herman63, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I am think of upgrading to a PW 800+ and maybe the auto-drive.

The one thing I have a question is if you use the auto-drive where do the shells go? Looks like they bounce of the auto-drive and there doesn't look like much room there?

Thanks, Herman63
  2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    On the Spolar unit and I suspect the P/W unit as well there is a hole in the base under the motor support and they fall through the bench top. In fact when I put mine on the Spolar the hole in the base fit over the hole I had already made in my bench top so I didn't have to change a thing just drill holes for the hold down screws.

--- Chip King ---
    B.C. thanked this.
  3. frank drebin

frank drebin TS Member

Jun 28, 2006
    What if you don't have a hole in your bench top?

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    Rapid City SD
    You don't need to drill a hole in your bench, although it sure makes it handle.

The motor is mounted on a 4" square channel (I think that's the size). The loaded shell drops out of the press, down its chute, and back through the square channel to the rear. At that point you could drill a hole in the bench, and just let the shells accumulated on the bench top behind the electric drive.

Here's a rendition to show you...

P/W Distributor
  5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Fairfield PA
    By all means go for the auto drive, it's a great accessory.

I mounted my PW on 3X3 pieces of wood which raised the base plate above the table surface, allowing clearance for a baking tray to slide behind the machine to catch the loaded shells. It holds 100 finished shells and is easily slid around the corner making it convenient to put the loads in the stacker thingey. Another advantage to doing this, is provision for routing the power cable for the controller box under the machine, and room to slide the control box underneath the loader, with just it's toggle switch sticking out.

Of course, it's not necessary to use a plained and finished piece of cherry for your project. (grin) ...mike
  6. skeezix

skeezix Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Make or buy a front discharge for the PW. I made one out of about $2.00 worth of 2" pvc. It was a temporary "see if it works" gizmo. I've been using it for 2 years now.

I like it because you can cull a bad load coming down the chute- and I didn't have to drill a hole through my bench and the drawer below the bench.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.