1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW electric or Hydraulic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RMO1051, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMO1051

RMO1051 Member

anybody have any comments on which might br better - PW electric or hydraulic reloader

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I've had and used both and in my opinion the Electric Auto-Drive beats the Hydraulic hands down in everything except speed (the hydraulic is very slightly faster). No more crushed hulls and shot flung everywhere when something gives. NO MORE broken loader parts caused by a hydraulic unit that does not care if the loader is jammed. No more leaking hydraulic fluid everywhere. No more heat. No more pump whine. Everything is on the table with the Auto-drive so you can see if you have a problem and it is quiet and runs cool and only when the switch is operated. After a fast 500 hull session I can still rest my hand on the electric motor. Should something jam there is a slip clutch to prevent damage.

--- Chip King ---

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have the electric drive. It has worked flawless and wouldn't have it any other way. Also very quiet.

4. citadel

citadel Active Member

On the contrary to the above two opinions I have tried bit and then resold them. I find that they both have a tendency to crush hulls if anything is slightly out of line. I find that I like the "feel" of loading by hand. I can tell by feel when things are loading correctly and stop in an instant when they are not as they should be. This saves me from having to pull a crushed shell out and clean up the resulting mess.
    The best attachment I have found is the PW auto feeder. It works great and simplifies the entire process.
    Doug

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have had the AutoDrive (electric) for almost a year now. I love it!! It is far better than a hydraulic unit. If you keep the slip clutch in adjustment i will not smash shells or break parts.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_03037.jpg

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Citadel, I will agree with the crushing of the shells when loading with electric drive. I have crushed 2 in over 10,000 loads. With the electric drive I can load a box of shells in 90 seconds start to finish. As many as I have to load there is no way in hell I would do it by hand. I would have only loaded 2500 in the time it took me to load 10,000.
    Get the electric drive and the case feeder and load away. It truly is the only way to go.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Does the electric drive have a foot pedal?

Pat Ireland

8. citadel

citadel Active Member

Goose I had an electric drive and i could never seem to get it adjusted correctly and all I did was crush shells. Maybe I had the slip clutch to tight.

I was trying to load Gun Clubs and since switched to STS with the softer brass bases and by hand they work just fine. I load about 750 to 1,000 per wek so maybe I should try one again and see if I can make it work for me as my arm sure gets tired pulling that thing so many times.

I have a case feeder and I find that to be a great addition.
    thanks for the suggestion.
    Doug

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You have the option of a joystick or a foot pedal with the AutoDrive. I chose the joystick because you can back up immediately just by moving the joystick in the opposite direction. With the foot pedal you need to move a switch on the black box and then press the foot pedal to back up.

The joystick makes it really easy to quickly back up for a folded wad pedal.

Jim Skeel

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yes Pat you can get the Auto-Drive with either a toggle switch or a foot switch. I bought the first available for a Spolar #SP001 and at the time it was toggle switch only. I got used to that and I don't think I could re-learn a foot switch now. I have just over 35 thousand loads on the Auto-Drive now and have had zero problems. The nice thing about the auto-drive is that it is a circular motion so there is no need to to do a 2 step or foot rock like on the hydraulics.

--- Chip king ---

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

My rather old hydraulic systems works well but that is not a reason for me not to change. I am glad the electric system does have a foot pedal option. When I reload, I have 4-6 wads in my left hand and 2-5 hulls in my right hand at all times. I would not have anything left to operate a hand switch.

Now, I need to find a nice waltz at the correct tempo for me to tap my foot with the music and operate my PW at the same time. Any suggestions?

Pat Ireland

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Pat....who is Walt?

13. STOS

STOS Member

As far as we are concerned the hydraulic will be a thing of the past as we are discontinuing them in our product line.We feel the elictric Auto-Drive is a huge improvment over the hydraulic setup.So for you die hard hydraulic fans we have them on close out for $975.00 while supplies last.

14. STOS

STOS Member

P.S We will continue to stock parts for the hydraulic system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.