1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Elec Drive Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Thinking hard about buying a PW elec motor drive, Three questions: 1 I have three machines on the bench and as you would expect one does most of the work---but---can the drive be moved from machine to machine with a minimum of effort? Maybe some of the drive hardware be left on all machines and the basic be moved?? How long to cahnge to another loader? 2 I understand that the drive is a clutch type affair and will "slip" when too much resistance is met. I know this can't be adaquately defined here but how much will it power through? I load some Rem gun clubs and they are sometimes pretty hard to eject, causing a "snap" as they leave the die and require a good deal more downward pressure on the handle. 3 Is the foot switch worth donig?? Thanks to those who have had experience and are kind enough to respond.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jim I can help with a couple of your questions and a guess on the other.
    Heres the the guess

It took me 20 minutes to set up and adjust my Spolar and the PW auto-drive so I would suspect that because of the small differences between machines you could figure that much time the first time for each machine. Adjust with the one you use the most. Then put each of the other presses on and make sure they work correctly, IF any tweaking is needed make the changes to the press not the auto-drive after that about 3 minutes to switch presses should be all you will ever need. I would buy an extra handle stub for each unit so you only need to pull a clip pin and disconnect the anti pinch joint at the end to isolate the press from the drive.

I routinely load Remington gun clubs and have never had the clutch slip. In fact the only time I had one slip was when a primer backed out of an oversize primer hole and jammed as the carrier tried to index. It bent the primer edge but did no other damage in the time between the jam and my reaction of letting go of the switch.

The foot switch is subjective if you are used to a foot switch then it is a great thing. I have a friend who sits at his PW with a hand full of hulls in one hand and a hand full of wads in the other and he would go nuts without a foot switch. I bought mine before it was even offered as an option and I am very happy with the toggle switch.

--- Chip King ---

3. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

As an owner of one, I don't think it's suited to your intentions. The reloader sits on top of the assist. You would have to take off the machine and put a different machine on top of the assist. Of course you could just re tool your primary machine to accomplish your different loads, as this would be the easier way to do things. The foot switch is a must. Thanks Bruce

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

1brucem that only requires removing 4 screws and the pinch free pin. We are only talking 5 - 10 minutes plus the plate of the auto-drive still has 4 screws holding it in place that don't need to be removed. I would think it would still be faster than a gauge changeover depending on the PW model I know my PW 900 was a pain in the butt to change gauges on.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.