1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW bushings with Promo Pwdr

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrbuete, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrbuete

jrbuete TS Member

Setting up a PW 600B and was wondering if anyone had any bushing information for using the Alliant Promo Powder

12 ga, 1-1/8 using Gun Club shells

I currently am using the "k" bushing and have read on some site that say use the same load as red-dot and others say for an equivalent load go down 2 sizes... obviously I'll be doing a lot of weighing until I'm comfortable but just wanted a good starting point/

Thanks

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

With every lot different there is no way we can help you. A scale is essential if you use Promo. Every lot can be different.

If you do not have a scale, you should get one or stop reloading.

Don Verna

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

With lot #050 of Promo in my Spolar the K bushing that I measured threw 19.5 grains with .2 gr variation. With the components that I use Rem Hull, DRRF8 wads, CCI 209, 1 1/8 shot according to the Alliant site I should be getting 1200fps at 9,900 psi. This is the max recommended load for the components listed so it would seem that the I, J, J1 and K bushings would be the ones to measure on your loader with your bushings to get you in the ball park.

--- Chip King ---

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

What Don said! Don't use Promo unless you weigh it. It is simply not safe.

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Be careful! it is not uncommon to have a 3 bushing swing, a friend of mine was throwing 18 grains and the next container threw 16.1 grains beware! your scale is your friend, incinerate em!

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

ChipKing said:"it would seem that the I, J, J1 and K bushings would be the ones to measure on your loader with your bushings to get you in the ball park."

I DISAGREE thoroughly these bushings drop way too heavy for Promo in my experience.

7. maka

maka Member

I have been using Promo about 2 years. I agree with above posters, either get a scale or do not use Promo or any other powders. Promo varies not only from lot to lot but, jug to jug. I load with Mec Progressive loader. One jug might require a 30 bushing and the next a 29 or smaller.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use a "G" bushing for an extra-lite load and a "G1" for a standard load.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Without a good scale it,s all just a guess . No bushing is just right some not even close . I spend alot of time trying to but have never got just what I would like .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.