1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW bushing sizes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by winselect, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winselect

winselect TS Member

My wife ordered me a new PW 800 plus for Christmas and I've
    Been looking at reloading charts. It comes with a H bushing, but looking at the charts if I use clays powder it will only drop 16 grams, and to get 1200fps I need and larger bushing. I just want some feed back on what others are using before I order any bushings

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you can find some Hornady bushings they will work in your P/W.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. winselect

winselect TS Member

Are they better than PW bushings, just wondering why noy just get PW

4. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Hornady, RCBS, and PW bushings will all fit. The reason to get Hornady is they're widely available and sometimes cheaper. You can use whichever you choose. No one is better than another really. 16 grams of powder? Did you mean grains?

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

You can buy an adapter for mec bushings. I found that to be the cheapest and you have more options for different powder weights.

Robert

6. mikelittle

mikelittle TS Member

Make sure you weigh the powder drop''

7. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

please do not go by any chart for exact wieght,no matter the bushing type I ve been using a pw for years ,purchase a mec bushing adp and use mec bushing you get a closer tolarance and weight everything ,

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

For sure get the mec adapter and stock up on their bushings. They get in between the pw drops and will be much more usefull. Never ever go by the charts, use them to start but weigh as you go. Mecs are on ebay all the time and are reasonable new also. Be sure to record the drops so you dont have to go through that every time. IMO the necs are the way to go because ebay is full of used ones, Hornadys are harder to find used

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't fiddle around with adapters unless you already have all the MEC bushings you need.

The Hornady bushings come in a more sizes than PW bushings. PW seems to feel that "close is good enough" and most reloaders I know are a bit more picky than that. Go to Gamaliel's web site and look up Hornady bushings...the bushing number is the internal diameter. PW's H bush is .430", I is .435", J is .445" and J1 is .452" for comparison. Hornady bushings are also at least a dollar cheaper and every bit a well made.

Keller

10. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I am with unknow 1 on this. I have the Mec adaptor along with Pw bushings and hornady bushings. We hardly ever use the Mec bushings and almost alway use the Hornady bushings. You can really dial your load in with the hornady.

Mark

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Over the years I have collected a complete set of P/W bushings and a nearly complet set of Hornady ones.

Average price probably less that $2 apiece.

I have cruised gun shows, closing gun shops, yard sales, etc. (I sent most of my duplicates to Whiz White - 'cause he has helped me so much with my loaders over the years).

What is the EXACT load you are looking for?? If I have a duplicate I think I can help you...

David

12. 1chaser1

1chaser1 TS Member

P-W bushing size chart; engineering specs for the bushings. Here are the figures:

F ----- 0.3800"
    F1 ---- 0.3850"
    F2 ---- 0.3950"
    G ----- 0.4125"
    G1 ---- 0.4155"
    H ----- 0.4290"
    I ----- 0.4365"
    J ----- 0.4450"
    J1 ---- 0.4515"
    K ----- 0.4545"
    L ------ 0.4645"
    M ----- 0.4775"
    N ----- 0.4925"
    O ----- 0.4955"
    P ----- 0.5300"
    Q ----- 0.5045"
    R ----- 0.5150"

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

unknown, PW is right, close IS good enough. People get hung up on a tenth of a grain when one half grain is really nothing. I use Red Dot and I am sure shells vary .4 gr. can't tell the difference

14. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

winselect,

I like HSLDS have several PW and Hornady duplicates, if you know what you need and he doesn't have it, let me know what you are looking for and I'll see if I have it.

15. winselect

winselect TS Member

I will be reloading 12GA only and think I would like to buy several different sizes so I have different options and can play with different loads. If any one has a variety of good sizes to sell let me know, thanks

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"unknown, PW is right, close IS good enough."</I></blockquote>My shells, my choice...your shells, your choice...ain't freedom wonderful?

Keller

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Will try to make a list of what I have available, and get back with you.

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click on my website and you can download the bushing chart and bushing ID chart.

WW

19. Ross Randall

Ross Randall Member

Maybe this is right to some and wrong to others, but in the past if I had a bushing that was close to what I wanted I would use white shipping labels to shim it smaller, and have on occassion put a dril bit in my drill press, while running it on slow speed and removed some to the bushing to make it a little bigger. I usually try to average what the load calls for. As was stated and I have found it to be true as well is that you will very rarely get the same exact drop of powder each and every pull of the handle.

Ross Randall

20. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Just to give you a smile I have to tell you what happend to me on bushings.I bought all of the supplies and a loader from a young fellow who quit trap shooting to switch to rifle and pistol so after I put everything in my car he said this goes to, so he handed me a 10x10 plastik box with 4 drawers in it. I loaded it and left.When I got home and unloaded everything I opened the tays and found they were loaded with shot powder bushings.73 in all pw and hornady. I could not believe any one would have that many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pw bushing bore sizes
pw loader bushing chart

pw powder bushing chart

pw shot bushing chart