1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

PW-autodr or shell feed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DadPlus4, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DadPlus4

DadPlus4 Member

i'm looking to increase my output on my PW. Please share thoughts on adding an autodrive or shell feed ~ likes / dislikes on each.

2. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I have both on my 800+ and I would not have it any other way or will you find a loader to load as fast. I have timed mine and it will load a box of shells in 90 seconds. I could not imagine pulling a handle 10,000 times a summer.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

I have both on a new Patriot (and 800+ or 2000 should be exactly the same results) and if you are going with just one, the shell feeder will give you the speed. I think the electric WITHOUT the shell feeder might be a bit slower, at least with hand control. Can't speak to foot control, don't have one.

The shell feeder works flawlessly....if you keep debris out of it. I bought 10,000 Nitro empties from Utah, assuming they had not hit the ground. My bad, they were raked up with a ton of small gravel, some stepped on, etc. Still glad to have them, but I have to really watch and clean/sort them before dumping into the feeder.

If pulling the handle is not an issue, and you only getting one item, my vote would be shell feeder. Order both from Whiz and don't look back.

4. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

If I could only pick one it would be the auto-drive.
    I have the old hyd spolar and the hull feeder on a pw 2000. Both have worked extremely well for over 10 years.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Dadplus4 ... sounds like you are loading for a whole bunch of shooters!

When my kids were shooting with me ... I would grab one of them and say "Let's load some!"

I would load and the kid would keep the powder, shot, wads, primers and hulls full ... no problem loading 5 cases ( 10 flats ) in an evening.

WE would box them up on another evening.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

If you are looking for speed the Auto-Drive with a foot control is hard to beat. I do not believe adding the shell feeder will increase the output. You can pick up wads with your left hand and hulls with your right while the loader is moving up/down. You might be able to operate faster without the Auto-Drive but the Auto-Drive will add consistency and save your back.

Email or PM me for a good deal on either one.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

7. perga1

perga1 TS Member

If you don't have any issues with pulling the handle the Hull feeder is definitely faster than any hydraulic I have seen. The electric unit i saw demonstrated at the Southern Grand didn't seem as fast as the hydraulics I have owned and watched work. I just put a Spolar hydaulic on my P-W 800 C that already had the hull feeder. I went with the hydraulic because my shoulders are in poor shape. Due to another thread on this site I timed loading with and without the hydraulic. By hand it took me 68 seconds to load a box. With the hydraulic and Hull feeder it took 102 seconds. If you could load for an hour with no hiccups and without stopping to add components you could load 53 boxes by hand versus 35 with a hydraulic. Due to my bad shoulders you may be faster than me using the handle. JRM

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

I don't think one can get more than 400 rounds and hour with a PW800+ with electric and hand switch. Maybe the foot switch would be faster. I did 300 in about 40 minutes with my PW800+ and electric (no feeder). I'm still having a lot of trouble making the shell feed work right all the time. It wants to break the plastic part the shell feeds through. If I ever get the system working correctly it should be much faster.

9. soup

soup Member

SPEED ( IMHO ) is not an option for ANYONE loading with the addition of any power assist device be it hydro-automate -or PW electric . You can't go any faster than the power unit allows. You can go as fast as you like with the addition of the hull feeder manually , since your force is driving the loader . However you must be sure to watch that the shells go exactly in the loader each and every time , or you will have problems . Very little if any margin for error . Now if you want to load lots of shells per reloading session -any power assist will keep you from tiring and if you add a hull feeder , noting the care required to use it , you can load lots and lots effortlessly -EVERYONE must stop to fill the hoppers ( shells-powder-primers ) . The long haul makes power assist a good investment - but super speed just aint agonna git it !!

Relax and enjoy reloading .

SOUP

10. DadPlus4

DadPlus4 Member

thanks all for the great input. basically i love loading but just can't keep up with the output and need to maximize what i can around family obligations and crazy work schedule. Just don't have time to sit at a bench for hours. with that said, i'm not looking to be a speed demon at the expense of quality/safety.

thanks again for your experiences ~ hit 'em hard and often!

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

I can do 9 shells per minute with my 800 Plus and an Auto-Drive with the hand control. That is 540 shells per hour. Considering the time to refill the primers, powder and shot reservoirs 500 per hour output can be achieved.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

If you really want speed, buy a Dillon. My Dillon's are by far much faster than my PW800+ with electric drive. But, you have to pull a handle, which I'm trying to get away from do to arthritis in the hands.

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

You still need to fill the shot, powder & primer tray, so that's your volume/speed denominator. I'm with Jim about the 9 hulls per minute, but have loaded 10. The hand toggle on the 'lectric drive seems to me to be the optimum setup, if you're loading by yourself, and frankly, I don't like "help" when it comes loading my shells. I load a flat's worth in the tray, then stop, box, inspect, and clean up before starting another round. It takes three shells upon start up to get the powder drop consistent, so weighing powder those first few, and at hopper filling is the only slow down at first, then it's off to the races.

Check with Jim Skeel, Jim Cunningham, Uncle Bruce at the factory, or Whiz White for pricing, support, and availability depending upon your preference. In my hands, the 'lectric drive is simple to set up, and, now past 100 flats of shells loaded, has passed the strength/longevity test, and it beats hell out of pulling tits.

best...mike

14. goose2

goose2 Active Member

Very well said Mike! The big reason why I don't have a Spolar is they do not have a shell feeder available. No auto drive, no shell feeder, No buy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.