1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW Auto Hull Feeder & Electric Drive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

Reloaders ,

If anyone is using the hull feeder AND the electric drive do you have any problems with this setup ? If you get a hull jammed going in the first die , how do you correct it . I know it is a slower process , but that isn't a problem for me . It should be an easier process . Have you all found it a nicer way to load ?

Thank you in advance for your time and help .
    Bill

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I spoke with Bruce at Ponsness Warren. Bruce said that he did not recommend using the Auto shell feeder with the Auto drive. He told me that if you want speed, use the auto shell feeder and pull the lever. If you want ease, use the Auto drive and hand feed the hulls.

3. rbolin

rbolin TS Member

I have the autoloader and auto feeder. I love it!! But I did have a few problems getting it all set properly. I would suggest you only upgrade 1 thing at a time. Start with the auto feeder and pull handle, then after you get that feeding properly add the auto drive. You will be happy you did it!!!
    Good Luck,

Richie

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Guys I realize we are all hyper competitive (why else would we be trapshooters) but since when has reloading become a race. At a very casual pace most of us (myself included) can reload in excess of 300 rounds per hour. A "normal" ATA shoot where we compete all day only involves 300 rounds so in one hour a week we can goof off and still get enough ammo ready for the next Saturday or Sunday.

Slow down, relax and enjoy the quiet solitude of the cha-chunk- cha-chunk in the man cave (or if you are like me the man/ cat/ laundry corner)

--- Chip King ---

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've had problems with that setup. Whiz suggested a small magnet in the shell feeder post and also an aluminum shell plate. I just received both, but haven't installed them as yet. I also, took the shell ram and polished it flat using 400 grit on a glass sheet. I wanted it perfectly flat, because it was not, resulting in a jerky motion, which jammed the shell under the plastic shell plate on post one breaking it. After that procedure, the ram with a little graphite slides like goose poop in the aluminum bracket. Now to put it together again and see what happens. I hope I have most of the tweaks solved.

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have had the pw 2000 with hull feeder but the spolar hyd for years. I works great. Use clean hulls and I lubricate hull ram. Great combo. I just sent the pw to be refurbed and I am now using a mec 9000 with a automate.
    As they say you don't know what you had until it's gone.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can operate a little faster pulling the handle. The Auto-Drive is a little slower but more consistent and a lot easier on the back. Repetative operations need to be automated.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. soup

soup Member

CHIPKING ,
    I agree . I don't want to go faster just a little easier . You're lucky -only a cat , dog and laundry -I'm out in the shed . Year before last a gray little tree rat got in and ate all the bottoms of the wad case . When I went up in the loft to pick it up -well - wads all over- you can bet he WAS laughing . He has since moved to a heavenly place or whereever the hell they go .

Good Shooting .
    Bill

9. J. Slimmstone

J. Slimmstone Member

Be aware that 1 piece of shot that comes out of an open shot filled hull after a cycle is completed will ride along next to a die and fall into the area that an empty hull is placed from the hull feeder and cause the new empty to NOT set flat and will jam,crush and damage the plactic piece at the die access area. It is very important to catch the floating shot beore it lands into the hull feed area. Also make sure that all of your empties have not been stepped on as if they are not round this will also cause the same result. Also if you call Ponsness speak to Kathy first, Tonys next and Bruce last. Nice guy but does not have the knowledge of the machines as Kathy does.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I believe you mean "Tawnia," not Tony.

Tawnia is filling the shoes left by Jean who left two years ago. Jean was brilliant in machine functions and problem solutions.

Tawnia is also handling the bookkeeper for P/W. That keeps her busy, but she is doing a terrific job. Her predecessor in accounting was a problem for me to ever get my statements straight. Tawnia has made my life so much easier now that she has stepped into that position.

The folks at P/W are trying their best to service customers and assist in solving problems.

Whiz

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If it took me an hour to load 300 shells I would be making some improvements. That is wasting time. That is about 25 min work at just a moderate pace with a hull feeder and my arm. That includes filling the primer feed. I could go faster but I like to relax a little.

12. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Sent my pw to be refurbed. Kathy called me today. They received my loader mon night and it will be shipped to me Wed morning. Kathy was outstanding telling me what she did to the machine and the difference between mine and the newer model p2000. Great customer service.

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have loaded thousands of rounds on an 800+ with both the auto drive and case feeder and I wouldn't have it any other way. It works flawless once you figure out how it is suppose to work. I sold the 800+ and now have a Patriot with all the goodies and it loads remarkably well.
    You can't beat this set up.

14. soup

soup Member

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You can laod a hull in the P/W in about 2+ seconds. With the hydro it is 2-3 seconds, but both hands are free to grab hulls and wads.

That's 20 shells a minute and probably 1,000 an hour, but you have to stop for primers, shot and powder.

That's plenty fast, as the boxing up takes forever.

With the hull feeder, I tell customers to pick up a wall mount for their TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.