1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW adjusting the primer ram throw?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have a PW loader that I have updated the ram as it got bent once or twice and you can only bend that hook back at the end so many times. (Thanks to S&W for the new one) ANYWAY, As any reloader knows you keep an eye on that primer I noticed my ram was over extending over the primer drop hole and occasionally it would keep a primer tipped and not drop until on the return stroke. This IMO is generally what bends the end. Can you adjust the throw? Is the triangle part that sets it in motion slotted as to adjust the throw? and if not can you get enough adjustment by slotting it? any feedback appreciated.

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have had to straighened mine several times. After the ram receives a primer and moves forward the primers in the rail are pushed back up the rail slightly. If the primers do not move freely back up the rail , I think that is what causes the bend, but was never sure. I polished all burrs off the top of the rail to where the primers move freely both directions and haven't had a problem since. You can add washers behind the triangle piece to limit the ram movement.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Himark: What normally bends the hook end on the ram is a spent primer either (1) falling down and missing the Spent Primer Chute, and/or (2) a "hanging" primer.

(1) If the spent primer chute is too far to the left of the opening, a falling primer can miss the chute altogether, and it fall onto the ram, then when you try to insert a new primer, the new primer and spent primer fight to see who wins. The loser is the hook end of the ram.

(2) This was pretty common with the older style AA hulls. As you deprimer the hull, a skinny thread of red plastic that had melted to the top of the spent primer, would dangle that spent primer after it was knocked out of the brass. It would hang down and simply dangle. Then when you attempted to insert the new primer the scenario in (1) would take place.

I made some longer depriming pins, and sold some, but adjustment was critical. It could tap the top of the new hull indexing into position, and/or the pin would protrude too far below the hull during depriming.

I use a hydraulic on my 800 Plus and Patriot. ONE THING THAT I ALWAYS DO is to watch to see a spent primer fall, and to be certain that it did NOT fall onto the top of the ram. The rams are too expensive to keep replacing, even if I sell them.

Hope this helps.

JOHNNY above is correct on the angle adjusting, if that is what your intent is.

Whiz

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Whiz,

You described EXACTLY what is happening on my 800 + with old AA Until you mentioned it, I had no idea why some of my finished AA loads had a small sliver of red plastic would protrude past the new primer. I just ignore it and shoot the shell normally.
    does this happen on just the first time the AA is reloaded or each time it is realoaded?

Thanks Whiz for all your great insights.
    John

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There are slots in the triangular piece (cam) that the nylon roller rides on. Moving the cam up or down will affect both ends of the primer slide travel. You can add washer(s) at the top or bottom mounting screws to change the angle of the cam and affect just one end of the primer slide travel.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Regarding the thread, I only reload once-fired once and then let them fly, so I can't say that I've seen it happen on twice-fired. Probably not, but just a guess.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.