1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 900

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zerafa, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

have a small problem with crimping on a PW 900, anybodyis familliar with these loaders please?

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Please describe in detail the problem. Bruce

3. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

it seems that the dies are a bit off centre to the wad ram for example, also I have a cone crimper starter that I dont think can precrimp a used hull properly, talking about used 6 point plastic hull, they told me it should do the job, I'm getting alot of faulty crimps,not all of them but some 30%, I am blaming the precrimp rather then the crimper, sometimes the crimped outer edge get squeezed too in just one place. What can be the real causes of these faults in your opinion, used to have an 800 one with no problems at all, changed it cause everybody told me the 900 is smoother thats all

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ever thought of buying a 6 point precrimp starter?

5. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

I'v ordered one, have to check the centering of each die, if I pull the handle down SLOW sometimes the the turret doest match exactly the top components, hope you are understanding me, I am afraid that when I go fast most probably they are matching by sliding into each other, is it possible that I release the center shaft and turn a tiny bit to adjust??? thats all I can think of, maybe I try to check the stud that engages to the bottom turret, maybe not tight enough in the hole of the turret when it engages????????

6. TLEE

TLEE TS Member

You have an indexing problem. On the 900 indexing is handled via a bearing that rides in the center shaft. Contact Whiz White or Jim Cunningham and they can tell you exactly what you need. It may also probably solve your crimp problem because you are not centering when you hit the die

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If it's an indexing problem, the you should have worse problems, like a cocked wad and this will give you a poor shooting reload.

As mentioned above, the turret rotates via a small collar and machined bolt; on the later 900's, ones after #4300, those prior to #4300 use a ball-bearing and machined bolt.

If you have the collar model, then I recommend THOROUGHLY cleaning the center shaft's groove, top-to-bottom. Heck, I recommend cleaning that shaft on BOTH versions. Lightly grease (with a very light grease) the shaft and machined groove.

Inspect the dog-leg in that shaft, as it could be that you have worn that area out, or have pieces of lead flattened along the inside groove. This scenario is difficult to detect without running a scribe all along the inner groove.

Replacing the center shaft (different shaft depending upon serial number) is simple HOWEVER, proper alignment is NOT. The factory recommends sending the reloader in to get the new shaft installed. Unless you know what you are doing, I would recommend sending it to someone who does know and has experience with this procedure. Height and orientation are VERY important in installing a new shaft.

P/W's should produce a hull that is indistinguishable from a factory shell.

Whiz White

8. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

My loader is Size o matic 900, serial number 1421, bought it second hand, previous ownered promised me that there was no misalignment in t and he's suggesting me to adjust the tapering adjustment, it goes well for two rounds that one is notched and another 5-6 follow, get notched on one side by the crimper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.