1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 900 Operating Handle on Left

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ontario Chris, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I am looking for some help... Is it possible to move the operating handle on a PW 900 from the right side to the left side?

Thanks,

Chris

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's the problem: The main shaft's hole for the operating handle will be UNDER the main shaft when you swap it over. If you make the hole up as it should be, then the bored holes for the linkage will be facing you, and it must face rearward.

Also, even if you could easily swap it over, there is no stop block to keep you from going past center with the up/down linkage.

Someone could probably machine one for you, but you'd seill need to figure out a stop block.

Whiz

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chris- Yes you can and it is simple. I have done it and I am surprised Whiz did not figure out how.

Step 1 - remove the handle
    Step 2- install an electric or hydraulics system to the press
    Step 3 - gently lay the handle on on the table the left side of the press

With my system, you can also put the handle on the back or front of the press or any other place you might prefer.

After reading my response, please do not consider sticking the handle up any part of me.

Pat Ireland

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That is funny Pat

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Pat,
    I think that Whiz may be the one you should fear. I understand he has a new lube that is better than STOS and makes insertion of the handle easier.

Please report back after Whiz is done with you.

Don Verna

6. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Pat,

I should have gone straight to you for advice! Whiz gave me some of the super lube and I am coating the handle as we speak! :)

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Maybe an electric system would be the solution

7. whiz white

Guys: You will not have a stop block, and without one, you can go over-center coming down with the handle.

I guess I was wrong about the link hookup. I even got out of my chair and went over to my 800 Plus and looked at the 1ΒΌ" diameter cross-shaft. Yes, you can flip it over (well, slike it out), but you need to make some sort of stopping block because your operating handle will be 1 3/4" left, which puts it off the end of the left side of the base plate.

Whiz

8. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

Before mounting, give the PW a 180 degree turn. When mounted in this fashion the handle is automatically to the left and you have a better view of the shot tube. I have four converted this way. The hard part is getting my wife to do the wads and hulls.
    CB.

9. whiz white

"OLDDRUM!:" Don't you end up filling your pants with reloads when you do this?

Whiz

10. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

How about if you machine a new shaft exactly as the old but 1 inch longer on the left side. bore a hole for handle on left side. then put a stubby handle in the right side just to hit the stop.

11. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

Actually this is one of my ideas that I didn't fill my pants over. Probably the fastest way to answer this question is to call PW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.