1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 900 help needed-Again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

How does one remove the index post from the tool head?
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking the roll pin should be in the slot and not off to the side. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

NO! The roll pin keeps the shaft properly aligned.

Why do you want to remove the center shaft?

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

Jim,
    I have 2 of these machines in my garage right now. They belong to a buddy. One seems to work OK. The slot in the post stops about a quarter of an inch before it goes into the post. The roll pin is directly above the slot in the shaft.

This machine seems to have had the post pushed farther into the tool head than it should be and turned a few degrees. Please see pics. Thanks,
    Wayne
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. skeeljc

My understanding is the post is oriented to set the timing of the turret and then the hole for the roll pin is drilled. If you need to replace the center post then you must drill the new post in place after the machine is timed properly.

Do both machines index properly?

Jim Skeel

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The picture shows a 900 with a serial number below 4390. This is indicative of the ball-bearing rounded groove in that center shaft.

If you think your shaft has been altered/reorientated, look to see if the hole for the roll pin exists. If it does NOT, then someone has installed a new shaft at some time and never correcty drilled the roll-pion retaining hole.

The factory is hesitant to sell these to end users because it is imperative that<BR>
    1. The shaft is set at the absolute correct height to cause proper index timing, and<BR>
    2. Orientated to cause perfect die alignment

The shaft could be installed too high or low, and be turned a few degrees left or right. Any of these installation errors could/would cause early or late indexing, and off-timing which would lead to shell malfunctions, wad collapse, etc.

Whiz

6. leftex

leftex Active Member

Jim,
    One machine indexes properly. Apparently the other does not. That was the reason it was taken apart.

Whiz,
    There is a hole with a roll pin in it. I was guessing maybe the roll pin had been sheared and the shaft turned. The loaders have a Kapro hydraulic system. Could it have applied enough force to shear the pin if something was not aligned properly or had some kind of obstruction?

FWIW these loaders belonged to a friend of my friend and haven't been used in about 12 years.

Thanks,

Wayne

7. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

I have no idea where you're located but if it were me I'd send or take it to either Whiz or Jim just to be certain, and for my own piece of mind. Not being critical just a suggerstion.
    Bill

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

9. whiz white

If it were me, I'd take the shaft OUT, inspect and clean it out, and certainly check to see if the roll pin is broken. You may NOT be able to remove the shaft under certain circumstances.

If the pin IS broken, it could be a devil to remove. I would simply reinsert the shaft and make sure things are lined up correctly (hoping the original roll pin was placed correctly) and drill a second hole elsewhere convenient to insert a new roll pin. Remember that the roll pin is never tapped all the way in. Should that happen, you cannot get it out.

I did see that the shaft is "silver" or worn all the way up to the top toolhead. That tells me that someone has taken the shaft out and "cleaned" it up. If that is the case, then the shaft may have (1) not been homogeneous to this machine, and (2) may have been reinserted incorrectly.

Jim White

10. leftex

leftex Active Member

Whiz,
    This brings me back to my original question. How do I remove the shaft? Is the roll pin and 2 set screws the only thing keeping the shaft in place? Is it a press fit or slip? I haven't tried to remove the roll pin yet. Any suggestions other than a good pair of "dykes"?

The shafts on both machines are "Silver" from top to bottom and as far as I know have never been removed.

Thanks,
    Wayne

11. whiz white

The shaft is held in place by <i>both</i> the set-screws AND the roll pin.

If you loosen the two set-screws and then can pull out the shaft, then, of course, the roll pin is brokwn - a rare occurrance.

When the machine was assembled NEW at the factory, the shaft was installed, orientatied to its corrrect position, set-screws tightened, and then the hole for the roll pin was drilled. The pin was then installed as a final move to make sure the center shaft would not move should the set-screws work loose.

Whiz

12. leftex

leftex Active Member

I removed the 2 set screws and the roll pin. The pin was not broken. I tried to move the shaft by hand. It would not move. Apparently it was installed the way it is at the factory. I just thought this shaft being located so much differently than the one on the working loader that there was a problem with the shaft. I will continue the reassembly and see what happens.

Thanks,
    Wayne

13. whiz white

Remember that there are TWO versions on the 900: Those of serial number prior to 4390 and those after. Earlier models used a ball-bearing on/in the center shaft, and later models use the roller collar.

Whiz

14. leftex

leftex Active Member

Gentlemen,

The machine with the perceived problem is S/N 1521. The machine does not index. The basis for the inquiry about pulling the shaft stems from the fact that the shaft is in a different position than the shaft in the machine that does index.

Looks like the next step is to either pull the roller collar and/or check the ball bearing in the index post.

After I remove the roller collar, what do I look for? Where will I find the ball bearing?

This is the first PW loader I've ever been around. I used to think Hornady 366's were complicated.

I do appreciate your help.

Thanks again,
    Wayne

15. skeeljc

You should be able to lift the collar up away from the turret and it should follow the groove in the shaft and not rotate on the shaft. If the collar rotates on the shaft after it is lifted clear of the turret then take it apart and find out what is wrong.

Jim Skeel

16. leftex

leftex Active Member

Reassembled everything and all seems well. The turret seems to index properly. I need to re-remove the turret and lube the area where the ball rides and then reassemble. Next will be to figure out how the shot and powder gears work.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Wayne

17. leftex

leftex Active Member

I put a hull in the machine and pulled the handle all the way down, raised the handle all the way to the top, all seems well. Deprimed the empty and reprimed the hull. The base of the hull was concave by about .080. What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
    Wayne

18. skeeljc

First be sure the shell is properly seated in the shell holder at station one. The manual describes how to do this.

Next you need to adjust the primer seating to seat the primer flush.

The hull must be fully seated in the shell holder at station one BEFORE you can set the primer depth properly.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

19. leftex

leftex Active Member

Jim,

I read the manual. Not real clear to ME, yet. I live in Texas. It's still over 100 degrees in my garage in the evening. It's supposed to finally cool down a little in a few days. I think I may be able to concentrate a little better then.

Thanks,
    Wayne

20. leftex

leftex Active Member

I've got the 12 ga. loader up and running pretty well. I've learned 2 things about PW's. Always remember which position is off and which is drain for shot. The drain works very well. Always keep the primer track at least half full or you may or may not get a primer at the primer seating location. So far, so good. Still not as fast as as my 366, but I'm still learning.

Thanks for the help. I will be back, I'm sure.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.