1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800PLUS w / AutoMate II

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FELLOW RELOADERS ,

Is anyone useing the AutoMate II with an 800Plus ? If so please send me a private email as I've got a question on an adjustment of the motor to press coupling .
    Thank you in advance for your time & help.

BILL

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I didn't know Automates were made for PW re-loaders.

3. soup

soup Member

TTT

4. soup

soup Member

TTT

5. Flatsboat

Flatsboat TS Member

Your correct shot410 The AutoMate and ll were designed for the MEC Grabber or 9000 series. Just purchase a reconditioned on from MEC and there is no way it could be connected to a PW. MEC has no intentions now that they own the rights to the design and bought out the original inventor to adapt to other competitive reloaders. I live close to Mayville and have gotton to know several of the service people who are very helpful with any questions about their reloaders. At the Wi State shoot their service tech's are top notch in providing information about their reloaders and answering questions you have.

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

AutomateII did have a model for PW. It used a coupler as opposed to the linkage to pull the Mec down, and as I recall the motor was quite a bit beefier than the Mec model.

I originally had the Mec AutomateII, then I bought one for a 800+, which I sold to a member on this site when I went Spolar. I doubt many were sold compared to Mec, but Jim Benn the original owner did build one for PW.

7. Flatsboat

Flatsboat TS Member

Thanks for the info about one built for PW...

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Automate II for the P/W and the Spolar was available for a short time before Jim Benn sold the company to Mayville Engineering in WI.

In fact, I was responsible for Jim making the one for the P/W first. I gave him a new 800 Plus to use. We worked bacc-and-forth in designing the issues with electronics. When we completed that, I machined a different collar that would permit it to be used on the Spolar, and then the Spolar desing went into production.

There are several of these out there in reloading land.

Following the sale to Mec, I had a conversation with their head engineer in an effort for them to continue the P/W and Spolar models. He indicated that they were most likely going to continue in the production of both the P/W and Spolar units, but it would be a while. He did inform me that their Mec reloader business represented only about 2% of their entire manufacturing, so it was not a top priority issue.

Unfortunately, Jim had the Mec unit's patent tied with the P/W and Spolar patents. Consequently, Jim said when he sold his business, they got EVERYTHING and he could not continue making ANY of the units.

Whiz

9. Flatsboat

Flatsboat TS Member

Whiz, if you were so involved with the development of PW conversion parts. You should make an after market conversion kit for the PW and Spolar and offer it up for those who would like an electric system verses the hydrolic. Any interest in that?

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Flatsboat ... check out :

http://www.reloaders.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=42ca32c5e9fbac52e5d10c30d407826a

You will find that PW does make an electric drive for their loaders.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have the PW electric drive, and it works great.

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Flatsboat: The problem is offering something now for what you describe, is that the Mec main housing is smaller than the ones for the P/W and Spolar.

That would mean that someone other than me, may be interested in building that setup, and then someone with programming experience directly related to the different scenarios would have to burn some eproms. Then, of course, there is the manufacturing of the motherboard, and all that crap. This, then, becomes a whole new endeavor, patents, manufacturing, etc. Why compete with Mec or P/W when their units work great?

No, that's an undertaking of development far beyond what I want, have time for, or am interested in doing. I do have eprom and programming experience but the time involved in all this is nuts.

It's simply easier for you to purchase the electric drive from P/W... which, believe it or not, I was also involved in. I shipped my Automate unit to the P/W factory when I heard that Automate was closing up. The factory designed their own setup. Hydraulics are my favorite, but their then price tag of $1295 was expensive on a shooter's pocketbook.

My only recent interest was taking over the hydraulics. Unfortunately, with today's economy and prices, I can't see this as a profitable venture. My costs in assembling these, or having the company whose been doing it for P/W still puts them at $1,000 each. It's not worth taking money from my investments for a high prices setup like this.

Ahab's post above, is what one should consider now.

Whiz White

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If anyone's interested I've got an Automate II for the PW for sale. Make offers!!

14. soup

soup Member

15. soup

soup Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.