1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800C problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sporting clay, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

I recently purchased my first PW 800 C. Everything works perfectly except it drops powder inconsistantly. It wouldn't be a problem if it was just a tenth of grain or so but it varies as much as one and a half grains with Clay's. The first shell in a loading session is always .5,.6 heavy and then settles down near the target weight. Today I was cleaning the machine and in doing so cycled it several times with the powder turned off. The first shell in the next loading session was 1.4 heavy, the next shell 1.1, next .9 heavy. The hopper does have a powder baffle and a new neoprene o-ring. Has anyone else has this problem? I don't want to have to cull the first 5-6 shells every time I load. Thanks, Clay Pouncey 531321

2. skeezix

skeezix Member

Are your powder and shot gears aligned correctly with the rack gear?

If you pull the hoppers are the bushings centered in the opening in the hopper base?

Are you sure the darn o-ring seal is really there? (I had one come unseated once upon a time - had horrible drop consistency until I figured that out.)

john

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Check the arm mechanism that operates the gears; hold the upper arm either all the way forward or all the way back so it can't move and then see if you can move the lower arms back and forth. play in the arms will cause the bushing to drop only part of its load of powder.

MK

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Another possibility is your o-ring seal is rolling out of position. The seal should be bonded to the base with Super Glue.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

Thanks for the input guys. Unknown1 you are spot on. I have all kinds of play in the actuating arms. I disasembled the thing and found the lower actuating arms have wear in the hex hole and the hex shaft has signs of wear also. The actuating post has play in the hole where the hex shaft goes with the spacer. Are these parts still available or do I have a trot line weight?

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

sporting clay,

My suggestion is contact Whiz who is all over this site. He is a sponsor at listed on that page. His email is whiz@swsupply.com. He is your great hope if any on that machine for parts and tremendous knowledge of the loader.

7. setool

setool Member

Ditto for Whiz.. He's simply the BEST !!!

Mark Schneider

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a problem with replacement parts!

They are the same as on the 800+ and the Platinum loaders.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The worn linkage may not be the only worn parts you have. As has been suggested, give Whiz a call.

It's normal for the first shell or 2 to have heavier-than-normal drops since the first 2 cycles without drops give the powder a chance to pack in the bushing. I open the powder right from the beginning and use one of P-W's powder catch tubes over the drop tube and catch the first 2 drops. By the third drop things are close to normal. If your loader is being hand operated keep in mind that the smoother and more consistently you operate the machine the more consistent your powder drops will be.

MK

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

Whiz has an exploded view and instructions for changing the linkage on his website. www.swsupply.com.

John

11. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

Thanks to all for the help. I have contacted Whiz and parts are available. Clay Pouncey 531321

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.