1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800b help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pakk, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pakk

pakk Member

The wad guide fingers catch the edge of the hulls. If I pull the handle VERY slowly, it lines up properly. If I move with any type of speed, it catches the edge of the hull. My wad guide was a little banged up, so I figured that was it the whole time. The other day I finally got around to replacing the wad guide. It did help, but not completely. For the time being, I have been pulling the handle just enough to release the cylinder then manually turning the cylinder to position it properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Is it an indexing problem, or a wad guide positioning problem?

3. pakk

pakk Member

Seems to me indexing. It seems like it is not indexing fast enough.

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone used a Mec wad guide and or the star gear is worn. Contact the factory or Whiz White for expert help.

Surfer

5. pakk

pakk Member

I hear parts are hard to get, so hopefully it is not the star gear. The wad guide is factory. I just bought it new.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Years ago I had a similar problem when installing a Mec wad guide in my 800. I cut about 1/8" off the end of each plastic finger and it worked fine. Sure would be a lot easier to try before tearing into the machine. Let us know if it works for you. Marc

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I assume I have an indexing problem because I have been "helping" my shell holder around for several years. It just won't get to where it needs to be by itself. If you have a high mileage loader, you probably have an indexing problem. I wish I knew what to do with mine. My lower mileage 800Bs index fine.

8. pakk

pakk Member

Triming the wad guild might actually work. Before I was helping the loader index, I was pushing up on the wad guide fingers. It would work for a few pulls then jam up again. I'll give that a shot.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

On the 800B you can flip the gear around to extend the mileage. Unscrew the mounting block and pull the shaft and turn the star gear around, reinstall.

I still say your best bet is to call Whiz White (S&W Supply) @ 605/341-4412 he will give you good guidence.

Try flipping the star gear it may help.

Surfer

10. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

I had a proglim one time that the shell was getting pushed up too far into the shell holder and I was having the same problim. The shells was hitting the wad guide.

Rick

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If it's an indexing problem, then it means the turret is indexing too soon, not giving the tooling enough time to function properly. Unless you fooled with the spring loaded Index Pin (rear of machine's crosshead at about 11:00), and the machine indexes from one station to the next OK, then it really is not the Index Pad.

If you've had the Index Pad out of the machine and played with its height adjusting slot-head screw, then, again is it not an Indexing issue.

CASE 1: If, however, you have touched either of the above, you might try to tap the Index Pin down about an 1/8"... mark where it is right now with a pencil or scribe BEFORE you tap it down, so you can return to battery if that doesn't work.

CASE 2: Playing around with Index Pad height causes SEVERAL appearing unrelated problems. To resolve this, download my "Installing a New Index Pad" instructions from my above website and go through the ENTIRE procedure.

CASE 3: It could even be the Star Gear. The 800B/C/CVT gears were a stamped gear with ridges on them and those wore down. The current models use a milled gear about twice as thick and work much better. Unfortunately, you have to buy the entire star gear, axle and mount and these are around $65.

IF I had to guess without seeing exactly what is happening, my first guess would be something is amiss in the Wad Carrier assembly. Reason is because you did not say anything about the turret failing to index properly. I also assume you have peeked to see that the $2.49 wad guide finger set is not missing any teeth.

Here's what I recommend:<BR>
    1. Tap the black steel top piece holding in the wad guide fingers, and see if it springs back instantly. If it does not, then there are two possible issues:<BR>
    (1) The large coil spring inside the housing is in need of replacement, and/or<BR>
    (2) The large plastic washer on the underside of the housing is cracked or worn, letting the large coil above it (1) slip partially down and get wedged, thus (2) preventing free coil spring action.<BR>
    2. The Wad Carrier Cam Bolt has a flat worn on it and the housing will not rotate 100% counter-clockwise. These wear and need to be replaced occasionally. You, however, did not mention that the carrier assy was not completing in CCW rotation.

Last scenario is the turret itself and I mention this only because it could be a possibility even though you've not stated that the turrent is failing to rotate completely.

There are two fairly stout coil springs located IN the pinion gear under the top black cap sitting on TOP-CENTER of the turret. (NEVER REMOVE THE CAP FROM THE TOP, but read my instruction on timing for the proper way to do this).

ALL springs lose tension from the first instant they do their thing. If your machine is old, then these should be replaced as well. There are two each 5/16" ball-bearing on TOP of these coils, and their function is to "pull/push" the turret to its final index position. If the turret rotates OK, but does not make the final 2% rotation, then the springs are weak.

Good luck, and sorry for any typos. I am trying to load up for eastern SD pheasant hunting and I leave in the morning. Been a very busy day for me, no time to recheck this diatribe to you, and if you need more help, I won't be able to assist until Monday.

WW

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

One possibility is the height of the shellseating at station one is too high.People tend to keep moving thr shell seater post and theprimer seating post higher and higher over time resulting in the platen becoming to high for proper clearance. First, remove all shells the remove the primer seating post. Then lower the shell seater post alot. Now bring the post up a little at a time until the shell is just seated. If it is lower than you started with ,there is most likely the problem. Now you lower the primer seater until it is seating the primer correctly.The platen is now lower making for the proper clearance. This should be done when aquireing any used P.W. Jeff

13. pakk

pakk Member

After reading everything I could, taking my machine apart and adjusting it, and reading everything again,I think this is it.

"ALL springs lose tension from the first instant they do their thing. If your machine is old, then these should be replaced as well. There are two each 5/16" ball-bearing on TOP of these coils, and their function is to "pull/push" the turret to its final index position. If the turret rotates OK, but does not make the final 2% rotation, then the springs are weak."

That really just about sums up what is going on. I'll call PW in the morning and try to get some of these springs. I can't seem to find them online anywhere.

14. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I just rebuilt one put new plactic sleaves on the left post,and took off wad post put tape on it so it showed about 1/8 of an inch took it to the belt sander and grinded it off 1/8 of an inch to the tape smoothed it out checked the timing NO MORE TROUBLES. Dan Drainer

15. whiz white

That's kind of a slap in the face, isn't it?

I spend 20 minutes outlining your 800B problem and you order the parts from the factory? Did you think to click my website link and notice all the PW info, or email or call?

Probably better call them in the future for assistance on your 800B. I often ask myself "why am I keeping all my money tied up in this P/W inventory anyway?"

WW

16. pakk

pakk Member

I did click on your site. I did not see a spot to place an order. I might have missed it. I would have called or emailed, but you said you were very busy and did say you would be out till Monday.

I did not mean to slap/offend you and I do appreciate the help.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I call Whiz FIRST!

If he doesn't have the part in stock, he has the factory drop ship it to you!

18. whiz white

The factory now is charging $2.50 to process every single order even from me. So , if I have it in stock, I normally will not charge this.

I was at the shop all day and most of the evening Thursday trying fill all of my orders before I hit the road.. Didn't get a call or email from PAKK??

WW

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I thought the same as you, Jim, when I seen his post.

20. Alligator

Alligator TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good shot Whiz!!! I have had enough trouble with the 800 plus to thoroughly learn how to adjust everything on it and can finally get a factory style load. The primer seating punch was set too deep, I was trying to cycle it too fast( dammmit it is a progressive, but not that damn fast),and I'm now ready to put the 20 gage tooling on it and go again. How in the heck did anybody use an 800B without the removeable dies? They were better men than this old retired engineer/toolmaker or they were able to get better Scotch cheaper! It is afterall a machine, although well made and heavy but it will need some adjustment from time to time. Crap, I have to tune my 150 MC Jag every Friday or kid in a 4 cylinder Honda Civic will eat my lunch from light to light although I'm 74 and my reflexes have slowed. Have a great day ! Lee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.