1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800+ vs. P2000?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What are the big differences between the two presses? What should a used but in very good condition P2000 sell for new? Any reason to not get a P2000?

2. sixten38

sixten38 Member

PW800+ is better if- you want to reload multiple gauges, you want to use hydraulics or electric drive, have better resale value. My opinion. Thanks.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think he is right but - I do not load other guages and hate power loaders. I like the manual deal. My P2000 has been quite satisfactory for me and it has been going since 2001

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What is going rate for a used PW 2000?

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a PW 2000 with a hydraulic attachment. I like it. I think I remember Whiz recommending the 800, if so, I would follow his recommendation. The only way I would trust a used machine is to have it rebuilt by Doug, Whiz or Jim. All three post on this site and are knowledgeable about PW presses. A rebuilt machine may be about the same cost as a new one. If one buys a new machine after many years of reloading on the press, the cost will seem like a bargain.

Pat Ireland

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I already have a PW 800+, I'm thinking about picking up a used P2000 to use strictly for loading my first shot of doubles. Someone shoot me a price as to what I should expect to pay for a used P2000!

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Platinum 2000 or older 900 loaders have a more robust indexing system. I always read about folks having indexing problems with their 800's but I hardly ever see this in the 900/2000 loaders.

I have a 900 with the AutoDrive and load mainly 28 gauge and .410 gauge on the same loader. It takes me about 30 minutes to change gauges.

If I wanted a dedicated 12 gauge loader I would choose a Platinum 2000.

Jim Skeel

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I disagree about "...the Platinum or older 900 have a more robust indexing
    system."

The indexing on either the Platinum or 900 machines is solely contingent and dependent upon the small collar that rides in the center shaft groove, and the Index Pin design is also a concern. This small collar wears easily, and the Index Pin in the 900's will eventually wear oblong holes in the aluminum turret, which then really causes indexing problems.

I have also warranteed several Grivory turrets for my customers. The problem in this, that even though the Grivory turret has a lifetime warranty, SOMEONE has to do the replacement. For some people, this is not a welcomed task.

I have had to replace many an aluminum turret because the 8 index holes had become elongated from the hardened index pin.

The 800 Plus' indexing is accomplished by the large, extremely hard pinion gear and newly designed Star Gear. It's a simple replacement should one need to ever replace the Star Gear, and prior to that it can be reversed to start fresh. I have never replaced the Star Gear in an 800 Plus machine since the 800 Plus was introduced to the market. I HAVE sold many indexing collars on the Platinums.

In all my sales, I have to say that 99/100 machines sold will be 800 Plus machines.

In my opinion from using every single P/W progressive machine in my shop since 1974, the 800 Plus it THE machine to get. Even if one is not shooting multiple gauges... when it is offered for sale at some historical point, it becomes more desirable because of its simple multiple gauge change capability.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

10. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Either a PW2000 or an 800 $400 -600 depending on condition, for example an ebay estate sale item with no history $300-400 versus one that is rebuilt or relatively new at close to $600. You have to watch the used ones and who owned them, did they actually use it to reload or did they buy it at an estate sale and they know bubkus about it. The key parts to keep them working correctly can be costly so knowing you bought it from a trusted source is important.

11. skeeljc

Whiz, I must have a special P/W 900 because my aluminum turret has a steel center section which has the eight index holes. My loader is 15 years old and has zero wear on the index holes.

I like the 900 loaders because the aluminum turret holds the shell holders better than the Grivory turret. Just another case where aluminum makes a better part than plastic.

Jim Skeel

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Whiz is 100% correct on this one.

Jim, the only way to observe if the index holes are worn is to remove the turret and observe the underside where the index ball rides. Do that and I believe you'll be unpleasantly surprised!!

13. Unknown1

Even the holes in the Grivory turret on my 900s are getting "ramped" where the pin enters the holes and that's after only 2 years and two annual disassembly/cleanings.

MK

14. skeeljc

Whiz's stement was, "and the Index Pin in the 900's will eventually wear oblong holes in the aluminum turret, which then really causes indexing problems."

The "index pin" works in the eight holes in the steel center section of the turret. There is no wear on these holes on my 900.

I will have to take a look at the holes in the bottom of the turret the next time I raise it up to clean under there. All I know is the turret still lines up accurately.

Jim Skeel

15. skeeljc

I took a look at my P/W 900 and guess what I found? The ball detent mates with a "steel" collar that is in the center of the aluminum turret. This is the same steel collar that has the eight index holes in the top side.

There does not appear to be any wear either in the index holes on the top side or the detents on the bottom side. This is a 15 year old loader (sn 15xx). Could it be that P/W built them a little better some years back?

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030330.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030331.jpg

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wow, you must have an abnormal one. Congratulations! Don't let that one get away!!

17. len loma

len loma TS Member

I own a number of Mec machining from single stage to Grabber and 9000G. Mec are great machines but I perfer the PW for my bulk reloading. I have a used 900 which I purchased from this website for $400 with a used hull feeder I purchase on TSC for $200. Loaded tens of thousands with this set up with nothing wearing out. Also had a 950 which I felt required less force to pull handle because of the differnet approach to resizing hull verses 900. I think 800 and 900 PWs are well engineered and you can't go wrong owning either one.
    Len

18. skeeljc

Does anyone know what the index pin in the Platinum 2000 mates with?

Jim Skeel

19. Unknown1

I replaced the aluminum turret on my well-used 11 year old 900 with the grivory model two years ago. I dug out the aluminum turret to check the index pin holes and every one of them was perfect... exactly the size of a #5 drill bit and absolutely no wear anyplace. The mouths of the index pin holes in the grivory turret already show some wear.

I'm wondering if this kind of wear qualifies for warranty replacement when it gets bad and how bad it has to be before it qualifies?

MK

20. skeeljc

MK, If you look at the two turrets (Grivory and Aluminum/Steel) which one looks like it costs less?

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.