1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800+ vs. MEC 9000GN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Ideally I would upgrade to the Spolar but I just can't bring myself to pay $1600 for a shotshell reloading press that I only use to reload one caliber for.

It seems like whenever I need to push out rounds for a shoot, something minor always goes wrong with my PW 800+. This has me thinking of getting rid of the 800+ and picking up two MEC 9000GN presses, one that can be used to reload for single/caps and the other which can be setup to reload for doubles only. This would save me the time from having to switch between power bushings, shot bushing, etc.

So my question is, am I going to have problems with a MEC 9000? If my PW really that superior compared to a MEC?

2. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have two MEC 9000 GN and use them like what you want to do.
    I also have a PW 800+ and have no trouble at all with it.
    I reload .410 on the PW. I would try to find out what's wrong with the PW and fix it.
    Then just add the MEC and you are good to go.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rich..... You will get all kinds of answers on this subject, I'm sure. I will try to answer your question using my own experience as a guide. I owned a PW-800 for a couple years. Seems like I spent the first year trying to make it work properly "for me". The second year I had it, it just sat under my workbench while I reloaded on a MEC 9000H. That was over 25 years ago and the MEC is still going strong after well over 250,000 reloads. The PW-800?? It's long since gone to a new owner. There is no question that the PW is built much better than the MEC is. The quality and machine work is light years ahead of anything MEC offers. With that being said, they both only do one thing: reload shells. The MEC is about 1/3rd. the cost of a PW. Comparing the two, if I can get another 20 years out of my MEC, I will be money ahead. If it broke down tomorrow and couldn't be repaired, (which it can be, no matter what) I would march right out and purchase another 9000H. They work properly, "for me" all the time with no problems. There are PW users and Mec users. If I had to bet, I would bet that more PW users sold their machines and went to a MEC than the other way around. Great product, great service, great reloads, and all at a price that we can afford..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

i have 4 9000's, only been reloading about a year, never a minutes trouble out of any of them. the worst thing that happens is a primer wont fall maybe once every couple hundred loads.

5. John 53

John 53 Member

Rich,
    If you want to set up two loaders for different applications, I would sugest you go with the 9000 H instead of the GN.

As we get older, a LOT of us are paid a visit by the "RITIS brothers" That would be "arth-ritis and his brother". I sold my 9000 GN to get the H for just that reason. Save yourself the trouble on down the road and get one 9000 H unit and another without the hydraulic unit. One hydraulic unit will service both loaders with the addition of a quick coupler.

Just an old man's opinion. Good luck whatever you do.

John

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Trap2, He is asking about the 800+. Are you talking about the old 800 which is a relic?

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry..... It was not the 800+, it was an 800C, as I recall. I know it was a lot of years ago, but I really don't see that much difference between the 800+ and the one I had other than the removable dies, etc. Primer feed was the same (genuine pain in the a** ALL the time, for me). I also know there are a lot of satisfied PW users, and I say more power to them. I fooled with that PW until I developed a PERMANENT distaste for them. I have tried several of the newer PW presses that friends have, or had, such as the 800+, 900, 2000 Platinum, etc. and they still don't do "for me" what my MEC does. It seems like all the owners of these presses seem to have a lot more problems with theirs than I do with my MEC. It has been said on this site, more than once, that there are PW owners that swear by them, and PW owners that swear at them. I am one that swears AT them. I simply don't have the time, nor the patience, to go through the obviously complicated "learning curve" required to operate a PW press correctly. I'm more of a "plug and play" type of guy that just wants to plug in the hydraulic pump and start reloading without worrying about how the loader is going to feel that day... Not trying to down play the worth of a PW press, as I believe it is worth every penny it costs. I just could not bring myself to buy another one after my experience. IF I could get a PW press to work just like my MEC, I still would not change because of the cost difference.... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

If I get the 9000H can it be used w/o the hydraulic unit?

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rich..... No. There is no handle to pull down, etc. If you want a press that is not hydraulic, go to the 9000GN. Same press as the 9000H except it is a manual unit..... Dan

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

If I get the GN can it be converted to the H later on?

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Rick,

Consider getting a second 800+ (or wait to see what PW is due to introduce shortly).

Two identical machines is always better. One learning curve and spare parts (right next door) if you need them. You can also upgrade at a later date to a hydraulic unit and use it on both machines by switching hoses.

I have an 800+ and the Spolar. You will regret not getting the Spolar.

Best bang for the buck is the MEC - much like a Browning Citori. Not the best product in its field but does a fine job for 95% of people at a decent price.

Don Verna

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

APRICE.... Show me where I can buy a PW 800+ with hydraulics for $1300?????? Just the hydraulics ALONE is $1295.00, plus shipping. Go to the link above, friend. Now, add the cost of a new 800+ at $850, plus freight.. You are off by many, many hundreds of dollars. Connies Components has a new 9000H for $889.00 which includes shipping. It helps immensly to have your facts correct before you strike, you know what I mean?.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Trap2, You are right about the primer feed. The only "learning curve" for the stock primer feed assembly is learning to put up with it. The primers won't feed consistantly without banging on it constantly. No amount of polishing and adjusting will fix it. There is a reason why a Spolar has a vibrator, that is the only way to fix it. I added a vibrator and changed the baffles on the primer tray and it now works, no banging on it. I assume that dropping the P2000 means a new model is on the way and they will address the issues.

I would advise not buying a hydraulic setup until hearing one in action. I would not like to sit next to one and load.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

What Dan says makes sense. However I have a PW P2000 and it does require a learning curve that I never experienced with a Mec. Get past that curve to the point you understand your PW and it is clear sailing and a joy. It took me over a year. If I would have called Whiz, it would have been quicker. At one point I was ready to throw it out, now I love it but now I understand it and can adjust and tweak it easily

15. Mr Lewis

Mr Lewis TS Member

I know you didnt ask but what about the Dillon SL 900, it seems that their are many happy owners. I have one coming soon and hope I'm happy with it.

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Take a look at the 366s you might be pleasantly surprised at what you get for your dollar. Ross Puls

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Gary, no offense but I disagree with your summary of MEC loader operation. My 9000E works just fine and gives me very consistent powder drops (+/-0.1 grain)without a baffle, doesn't leak powder (I use PB, which pretty much has the consistency of sand) and have never caught a shell mouth with a wad that was inserted in the guide correctly. Yes, you have to tweak it until it's "just right" (which is a requirement of just about any adjustable machine) and then keep the screws tight (another normal maintenance item) and the primer feed tray clean and waxed but that's a small price to pay for such a small price to pay when compared with the "better" loaders. Every glitch you mentioned can be corrected with an easy adjustment and/or proper operating procedure.

Yes, a "better" loader will outlast a MEC if you reload thousands of shells per month. But I've owned several of those "better" loaders and came back to a MEC every time. I'm done trying to find a better mousetrap.

Ed

18. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Should I be worried about using a MEC if I'm shooting more than a thousand rounds a month.

I'm really stuck with what to do, when the PW runs well it runs very well but the little problems here and there drive me crazy. Ideally I would purchase a Spolar but I can't justify that type of money on a press as of now. One of the positives of if I switch to a MEC is that I will never need to switch powder/shot dies.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"One of the positives of if I switch to a MEC is that I will never need to switch powder/shot dies."

I do not get the meaning of this quote. I don't really know what you are referring to when you say Powder/shot dies.

Even the same powder varies in density form one lot to another which means when you change powder canisters you need to reweigh your loads and change bushings as needed.

I have had to do this as long as I can remember on my PW's and I have four of them one in each gauge.

Bob Lawless

20. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I meant bushing not dies.

When I purchase powder by the keg it would be a few months each time I would have to switch bushings. With the PW I have to setup for single, 1 1/8 oz shot and a a powder bushing, then for handicap I have to put in a different powder bushing, then for doubles I have to change both the shot and powder bushing for my 1 oz. first shot of doubles load. If I have to separate machines I can leave one dedicated to my first shot of doubles load and the other will work as my singles/handicap load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 vs pw 800 plus

mec 9009g vs mec 9000gn