1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800+ primer question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yesterday every shell I tried to reload on my 800+ had a little problem. When the primer was punched out of the shell, it just hung there. It would not drop out, it hung on the bottom of the primer removable tool. I had to tap the primer with my finger, and it would drop out. Anyone have that happen to them? And yes, the primer punch was well below the bottom of the shell. The primers were Cheddites, and I've loaded 50K+ of those. Nickle dime issue, but it's not happened before.

2. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I have had this happen a few times, it seems that there was a string of melted plastic from the shell holding the primer.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Check to see if the punch has become magnitized...try sticking something to punch by hand...I had one do that years ago.

Keller

4. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I do remember a thread about the plastic. If I recall right Winchester hulls only.

5. shot410ga

Thanks, I will try to demagnetize the punch. I had not thought of that.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

De-mag time!!

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If it's hanging by a thread, demagnetizing won't help. And, honestly, in 35 years of reloading on P/W's, I have NEVER experienced a magnetic problem.

Lower your depriming shaft! And, while at it, remove the shaft and roll it on a flat surface to ensure the knock-out pin and/or shaft is not bent. They bend because they are made of 12L14 steel, a verys oft steel.

I have some over=sized K/O pins, but these would only add to the "scraping" of plastic, if the shaft is bent.

The plastic thread issue whas originally my posting, but it was in reference to the old style AA hiulls. I don't get this happening with any other hulls, just the old style.

WW

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Well, Whiz, let me pique your memory...a few years ago you sold me a stainless depriming shaft and VOILA!, the primers again began to fall out...no change in the setting of the shaft. Are you still making this?

WNCRob

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I now have a shop in OH make both the new design rams and seating posts in a hard steel, much harder than the factory's 12L14 Leadlloy steel.

Those stainless steel pins were harder then factory, but softer than the new steel we're using.

I'd be happy to run off some decapping pins in stainless.

Whiz

10. shot410ga

This was my fix: I removed the primer punch and checked the straightness. It was good, but the tip had some very small burrs. I chamfered and polished the tip, demagnetized, and reinstalled with a little graphite on the punch. Then ran 400 shells with only one barely hanging primer. Success---Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.