1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 Plus Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kriegfan, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriegfan

kriegfan TS Member

Am considering the purchase of a PW800 Plus. Would like to know from you PW owners how you like this press; specific qualities such as ease of use, dependability, crimp quality, how this machine handles the new AA HS case, and any other factors you'd like to contribute.

Thanks, in advance, for your comments...

KF

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

in my opinion, The quality of these new loders is great. Properly set up ,they will perform as good as any loader. Any adjustments need to be made with understanding how the loader operates. Not on a whim. I own 4 older 800 loaders and 2 plus models. I have had great service from several dealers on this site over the years. Contact Whiz for great service. Jeff

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I love my 800 plus. Load all brands....of shells. Like the Rem STS hull better but handles AA well also.

I agree with bigbore on the adjustments.

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Been using PW presses since the 1980's. Never had a mishap or a dud shell. As with any other loader, just take your time at first. Learn the press and clean and lube it from time to time. Also, use a dust cover, just be on the safe side. I lost my original PW in a fire but had loaded over 125,000 rounds with it. Now I have a Platinum 2000 and love that also. Price on todays market is almost what I paid for my first one, far better deal today!!!
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

5. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I upgraded from the 800B to the plus and love it. The 800B did not handle the new AAHS hulls well, but the Plus does fine although I have abandoned the AAHS hull for its other well known problems.

I really like the feature of being able to remove shells in order to check powder weights and shot drops. Built like a tanks and smooth to operate, you will not regret getting one.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like my PW press and I only load AA hulls.

Pat Ireland

7. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Got an 800+ in each of two houses, both set up for 4 gauges. Absolutely love the machines. No, they're not perfect, but I wasn't going to get a Spolar, if they are, and there's no .410 setup available for the Dillon, at least yet.

Can't speak to the AA HS hulls in 12 gauge, as I can't use them (I use a European wad in 12 that hits the basewad in the shells and won't seat fully); I load mostly STS and Premier (still got a whole bunch, and load them interchangeably), but it handles AA HS in 20, 28 and .410 just fine.

Started on a P-W 375C, moved to a 600B, and now to the 800+. Perhaps I'm prejudiced, but I just love my P-W's.

Tony

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat, How do you handle the crimps on the AAs? I have little holes in the final crimp that will pop up from time to time. Ive got starter and finsh crimp down as far as possible. No problems with GM or STS hulls. It drives me crazy.

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

Great machine. I've also used Mecs and Hornadays. I have a lot of respect for the others, but the 800+ has proven more reliable and faster. I especially appreciate the full-hull support offered by the PW's sleeves - great for paper or thin-walled hulls. I am currently loading AAs and they just come out fine - closed crimp and a little taper. Can't recall that I did anything special to trick out the crimp.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Crimp variations usually come from hulls with varying lengths. Jeff

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

grunt- I don't have that problem. I actually raised my crimp starter and final crimp to accommodate the new style AA hulls. It could be your load does not take up adequate space.

Pat Ireland

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I really like mine too. I added the hull feeder and that increases speed markedly. Get a couple of extra return springs (available at Home Depot for far less than what PW charges) if you buy the hull feeder. It is useless when they break.

I get perfect crimps on both AA and STS hulls. You may need to make minor adjustments between the two hulls - I do.

I have a Spolar too but find the hull feeder allows a higher production rate on the 800+.

Don

13. kriegfan

kriegfan TS Member

Thanks everyone for your responses and opinions. No doubt will purchase an 800+ and will be sure to contact the Whiz when I do!

Thanks again,

KF

14. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

By all means do that. Whiz is a great guy to work with.

Tony

15. mrjim22

mrjim22 Member

Got my PW 800 this year at the Grand.
    What a change. Use to load on a Mec 9000.
    There is absolutely no comparision.

Take the advice of the earlier post and DO NOT make any changes unless you really understand the machine.

I have loaded Remington, AA and Fedral with no problems.

This year would like to move on the setting up 20 gauge and would like any input on this.

Over all, given the choice, again I would go with the PW 800.

jim

16. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I bought my 800 Plus from Whiz about 6,000 shells ago. I haven't adjusted anything on the machine (it was drop shipped from the factory) except the primer seater. It needed to seat them a bit deeper. I load Estates, Remington and both old and new AA without adjustments to the press.

Whiz provided his set of instructions that were a huge help and the plans for a the loaded shell drop tube so I didn't have a bench full of completed rounds.

I have a Mod 77 that I've used for 20 years and a Dillon 550B that is 15 years old. Th PW is a peach to use after the learning curve flattens out. It really cranks out the rounds.

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.