1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 plus primer seat post problem?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

When I'm reloading sometimes the primer feed assy. seams to stay stuck down then pops up instead of just coming up normally under the spring pressure. I hope I described this well enough for some of our PW experts to know why this happens. thanks, Dale

2. BobbyNard

BobbyNard Member

Hi Dale sounds like the seating post may be bent ?

Bobby Nard

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Dale, it's most likely the primer feed track putting too much torque on the assembly. Use a cable tie to stop the primers from coming out when you loosen the screw where it attaches to the assembly. Twist/bend it so that it is fairly close to allignment with the slot in the assembly.

Best..mike

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

When mine first started to stick I took it apart and re-lubricated it. It also could be bent as stated above but I would try to lube it first.

5. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, now I have a few things to look at. I'll start with a little lube first and go from there. Thanks again, Dale

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

dale58,

The best advice I could give you is contact Whiz White at S&W (sponsor on this site), and go over exactly what is happening. He will steer you in the right direction without a lot of fluff. He is "the man" on PW, and could get you going quick and correctly.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

WD-40, then contact Whiz White.

8. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Would avoid wd40 or any other lube that will possibly allow powder or debris to stick/gum it up again. Take it apart and use steel wool to polish it. Both the pin and the sleeve it fits in. Could be the pin is bent. You see when u take it apart I have 3 pws and have not had a pin bend. Usually its a bead on shot smashed causing the hiccup.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The reason you use a harder one is because the original is `12L14 Leadloy. A soft material that is used, not for the sake of design, but because you can CNC a ton of them without cutting tool wear.

If the assembly is stuck, you have definitely bent the post. Both the post, ram, and all the tooling, save the dies, are ALL 12L14.

Furthermore, that bending most likely has caused some trouble in the dove-tailing of the housing. A simple replacement may see the need to work on that dove-tail. There is only about 1-2 thousandths clearance and when you bent the post, you find, as you have, the assembly sticks, and may even be difficult to remove.

Anyone afraid to use my hard post and ram should simply keep ordering the factory originals when they bend. In my opinion this is not the smartest move, but to each their own.

I guess I have never been afraid to experiment with better designs and materials.

Whiz

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used Whiz's hardened post for years now with good luck

11. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Cant argue with Whiz. Nice guy and knows his stuff.

12. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Hookedonshooting was spot on. Took it apart, polished it and now is running perfect. This machine is only a few months old and was set to factory specs, so I didn't think the pin was bent. Thanks for all the helpful hints. Dale

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Unknown has a point however, Whiz is right on this part. There are some parts that are clearly designed to fail first to prevent transfer damage. I just dont believe this is one of them.