1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 Plus Possible Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lucky hunter, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

I have a new PW 800 plus re loader and everything looks great so far. Crimp, primer depth and powder weight all look great. There is one slight problem that I have. When I push the handle forward (sets the primer and brings out the wad guide) sometimes the handle is so hard to push forward, that I really have to dig into it. I just got done doing 3 boxes and my hand hurts from the amount of pressure required to get the "click" to go. This problem does not always happen but I would say that at least 1 out of 3 shells does it.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks

Kyle

2. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Are the finished shells dropping right out, or do they come out hard? I'm thinking the last crimp might be rolling over and expanding the top of the shell, making it hard to push through. Just a thought.

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

any problem with no hulls in the machine?

4. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

The finished shells come out when the handle is pulled down. The problem is when I push the handle up to seer the primer and to get the wad guide out.

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

This is just a shot in the dark, but could you be pushing a Win 209 into perhaps a Remington hull? There is a significant amount more effort required to seat that combination the first time. With hydraulic or ED you would not notice it (or at least I never have), but have read many times there is a slight pocket difference that makes that more difficult round 1.

Could be other combinations, so if it runs freely empty, and the final station is not bulged, I would suspect the primer seating station?

6. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

I am using cci 209 primers in a Remington gun club hull. The primers are setting great and the final station is looking good too.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You are also resizing the hull on the upstroke. Gun Clubs have a steel base and are harder to resize. When I load STS and Nitros, it is much easier. Also, if the Gun Clubs came out of a gun with a large chamber, you are having to squeeze them back down quite a bit. Try some brass based shells and see if that is much easier. Mark

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

You could also be trying to seat the primers a touch too deep. Seating any primers other than Remington into Remington hulls the first time is tough. Rem primers are a touch shorter and have a more rounded top - you;re tying to force fit them the first time around. They will be fine after that.

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Anything with a steel base will take more work. That's why I only use brass based hulls. Just a better set up all the way around.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steel base hulls will work better if you size them first. I use a Mec super sizer, Makes the P/W work easier..

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you are going to reload STEEL HEADED hulls on a P/W you need to get a MEC Super Sizer to size the case head before reloading it on the P/W. You also need a bore swab above station one with some lubricant on it. BreakFree CLP works well.

Otherwise stick to brass headed hulls.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

12. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Kyle, At the resizing station mark the die that seems to hang up. See if it is the same couple. If so remove the dies and clean them with a brush and cleaner and give it a try.

Mark

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Steel hulls in any reloader is a difficult issue. They are really designed to throw away, but a lot of guys reload them. One can pick up hundreds every day at my gun club, free. But, seldom see a brass hulled shell on the ground, unless it's worn out. Use a STS or Nitro 27, and your problems will go away.

14. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

I ran my hulls through my size master and did about three boxes and it seemed to help. There was still a few that did it but for the most part they were fine. I did realize that the new gun club hulls worked a lot better than the multiple fired gun club hulls.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Kyle

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A MEC Super Sizer will resize the steel head better than the Sizemaster. The Super Sizer linkeage is a little stiffer.

Jim Skeel

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

There are about FIVE areas on the reloader than can be causing it to make the handle hard to move.

1. If you are using the aluminum reservoir, the o-ring can be the culprit. Check to see if it is intact. They are super glued (lightly) in place. I don't like the aluminum bases because they can really put some friction on the o-ring to the powder gear and bushing.<br>

2. The Shell Seating Post is set too high, and it will either rub against the brass of the shell as it starts to cycle, or it can even be way too high where it will "catch" against the inside of the die.<br>

3. It the Shell Seating Post is too low, then the shell's brass is too low and rubs on the crosshead and/or against the Die Access Plate as is starts to cycle.<br>

4. Same issue above with the Primer Feed Assembly.<br>

5. If you are using the cheap Gun Clubs, Kemens, Rios, etc. all with steel bases. Some LOOK brass but are steel. Steel is hard to eject from the die at station #8. Use more lube on the metal as it is inserted into the press.<br>

6. The two nylon screws on the top reservoir may be down too much and causing too much friction on the Rack Gear.

These are areas to check, but there could be more.

WW

17. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

starting to make these @ $4.98 box flats look better all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pw 800 plus problems