1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 PLUS -NOT ENOUGH SHOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,

When I load 1 1/8 ounce loads I have no problems , but on 1 ounce loads I don't seem to be getting enough shot and I think that is the reason for my dished crimps . Some shells come out fine and some are poor and some are just not useable . I was loading STS hulls -rem 209 -tgt12s wads-17.5 red dot - 1 ounce # 8.5 shot . Quite a few folks load this -it isn't the data . Somehow I get these frequent shells w/o enough shot . It is I would guess about 10% of the loaded shells . When I switch to a data requiring 1 1/8 -all is perfect . Plus all the shells -including the 1 ounce loads look good after they are crimped & before ejected . I'm spinning my whells here .

Thank you all in advance for your time .

BILL

2. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Bill,
    If you stand your empty STS hulls on end you will see that about 10% of them are about .020 longer than the others. Sometime the extra plastic results in a swirled crimp instead of the results you are getting, but it is a component difference. Also weight your shot, a lot of P/W bushings throw light it might be just enough to make a noticeable difference in the longer hulls.
    Dicksie Spolar

3. cartucci

cartucci Member

Try using a different wad ,worked for me.

4. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

Make sure your shot gear is aligned with the drop hole. If not you can get inconsistant drops. Also I have learned, check your actuating arms for slack. Grasp the upper arm with the handle back and see if the lower arms wiggle. My 800CVT was doing the same stuff. Clay Pouncey 531321

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Are you raising the wad ram height by about 1/8 inch when you are switching to 1 oz. If not that is probably your problem. The reason that it only shows up in some shells is that not all the compressed wads spring back up evenly before the shot drop.

--- Chip King ---

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Wiegh your shot charge ?

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

We all agree that Dixsie is a class act; but chipking has the correct answer. On station #4 (wad insertion station) loosen the knurled knob and using a screwdriver back off the threaded ram a turn or two. With the tool shelf up, (handle down) you should be able to wiggle the die a fraction, up and down. As Chip correctly pointed out, you're compressing the wad, and some of 'em aren't springing back. We are assuming the dots are lined up on the rack that drives the shot & powder gears, and the nylon screws are keeping slop out of the rack, as Clay suggested...right?

best...mike

8. soup

soup Member

TTT

9. soup

soup Member

It is not the wad seating depth . The wads are just about in the hull & I can get plenty of movemant from station #4 die ,when the handle is in the down position , although I use an Auto Mate II and don't pull a handle . This brings me back to the situation I initially wrote about -why only some shells and not others ?

Thank you once again for your time & help .

SOUP

10. soup

soup Member

TTT

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Call PW and ask them?

Or contact Whiz White?

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

First weigh your shot charges. This will prove they're actually light. Remington is noted for cutting their hulls at varying lengths. This could make Dicksie very right!!

13. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Thanks Dawg on top of this, look at the one in 10 cases that are longer. Make sense?

14. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

I have a MEC 900 G and load one ounce or 7/8 ounce using "Claybuster Model #CB4100-12-B 7/8 - 1OZ )wads without any adjustments to the press.
    Try it-- you'll like it.
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.