1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 Plus Help with Indexing Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by washandwear, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

My recent purchase of a used PW 800 plus reloader is going well except mine will not complete the index cycle 50% of the time. It indexes okay except for the last 1/2" and then I have to help it move into final position by hand. Of course if I don't the wad gets caught on the edge of the hull and a jam occurs. Except for this issue it all has gone well and after a bit of tweaking (new AA hull 7/8 oz load)it produces a great looking shell.

Your thoughts to help me solve this issue appreciated.

Regards

W&W

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Adjust your shell plate, Check the star gear for making full contact. It may be out of time. Or call Whiz White.

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Whiz has a lot of instructional and informational documents on his home page (noted above)

There is a document devoted to timing issues and another on adjusting the indexing plate if you need to do that.

John

4. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

more than likely the index pad has to come up abit. mach. is out of time.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If it lines up properly when the turret is on the ball detent then you need to set the index pad height or replace the star gear. Does it improperly index at all eight postiions of the turret? If it does the it is the index pad height. If not then it may be a damaged star gear.

Your manual explains how to set the index pad height.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Thank you for all the input. Went through Whiz maintenance/adjustment procedures and then by adjusting the star wheel and pad height was able to solve the issue. Machine is working like a champ. With the eletric drive and hull feeder running great as well reloading has become a bit boring.

Regards

W&W

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Unless you've operated the handle with two hands/arms and legs, I serious doubt that the 800 Plus Star Gear is bad, and least of all the main pinion gear. I have never seen a bad 800 Plus Star gear, but have seen tons of 800B worn Star Gears.

If it rotates "ALMOST" 100%, then it possibly is:<BR>
    1. Out of time (see my website {had a typo there and caught it: <i>"sebsite"</i>, new computer terminology} for retiming - simple procedure).<BR>
    2. The two coils springs (with the ball-bearings) located under to center cap have fatigued and need replacing (DO NOT remove the TOP center cap)... there is a correct procedure and it's done on the 3/15 BHCS on the UNDERSIDE of the crosshead.<BR>
    3. Clipping wads can be caused by the above, but also because of a worn Wad Carrier Cam Bolt, or...<BR>
    4. The large plastic washer on the underside of the Wad Carrier is cracked or worn, thus letting part of the large inner coil slip between that washer and the aluminum housing holding the wad finger.

This is a start.

Whiz

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

Do yourself a favor! follow Jim, you will get the correct info from him rather than the factory! incinerate em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.