1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 final stage ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcbullets, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Does anyone else experience this with a PW800+ reloader? After the final crimp, it looks OK, but then occasionally on the final stage where the shell is removed, it has a tendency to mushroom over the die, causing the machine to hang and me to have to remove the die and cut the shell out of the die. I think it's a weak casing, but just checking to see if anyone has experienced this and maybe it is a setting.

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Make sure there are no pieces of plastic up inside between the knockout punch and outer collar. Jeff

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had this problem on the last batches of old style AA hulls with the one piece design. I think it was soft plastic. I don't have any problems with the newer 2 piece AA hulls.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you're using hulls with steel bases, resize the hulls to around .806" diameter where the base meets the plastic before you run them through the press. They are mushrooming because they are tight in the dies and hard to push out. Cleaning the dies will most likely NOT fix this. The hulls are stuck in the sizing ring at the base of the die, not in the body of the die that most people clean.

Keller

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

I've had the problem with .410 - never with 12 gauge. Make sure the knock out punch is clean and smooth. I also believe in the die cleaning brush or swab on station 1 - I think it's vital for the .410 bore, and probably helps on other gauges. I use a chamber brush - others like a mop with CLP on it.

On the .410 I watch the knockout punch housing and make sure it seats on the die before the knockout out punch itself can try to push out the completed shell. When the housing hangs up and does not seat on the mouth of the sizing die and the punch comes down to drive out the hull is when you get mushrooms.

They are a pita to clear - I usually end using a box cutter to cut the top of the hull off to drive it out.

6. JT 27

JT 27 Member

When this happens, P & W has a tool that can be used so that sizing die does not neeed removed. I usually has happened on older worn hulls.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Do you have a die cleaning brush or swab?

I have the swab and I take 3 in 1 oil and put around the swab so it lubricates the inside of the dies.

8. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I do have a die cleaning brush and i occasionally use WD40 on a few hulls to help lub and clean the dies. I'm thinking it is just weak hulls, even though they are only once fired. I use AAHS and Rem Nitro hulls, no steal base hulls.

9. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Had this problem and I raised my crimp starter a few turns and problem went away.

Regards

W&W

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

WD40 is a water displacement agent, not a lubricant.

11. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

I made a bracket and and instaled itso it cleans and lubes the die when it is empty at no 1 station. I rappedit with gause and put oil on it so that it cleans and lubs the die. Sometimes the shell falls outof the final station before the punch comes down and hitss it I use a 10 guage bore brush on the 12 guage loader.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you are going to load steel headed shells get a MEC Super Sizer and size the steel head to factory specs. Then the shells will load just like brass headed shells.

I have had the mushroom problem with old style Winchester AA's in .410 gauge. They are a PITA to clear. My solution is to cut the shell off with a box cutter at the top of the shell holder, suck the shot out with a vacuum, insert a piece of 3/8" dowel rod in the hull and push it out with the loader.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I'm with MikeTMX. I've had it happen with old-style AA's. Haven't loaded enough of the HS to say; my usual wad won't seat in them (B&P T2). Never had a problem with Remingtons, and I've got plenty of Premiers and STS's to last me. Anybody in the Tucson area want to come pick up a whole bunch of Winchesters?

Tony

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The tightest part of a P-W die is the sizing ring at the extreme bottom of the die.

Screwing a swab or brush into the holder at station does little if anything to lube or clean the sizing ring because the swab/brush doesn't reach that far into the die when the die and the crosshead are all the way up.

I use a stuff brass brush in that station and found I needed a 11/16" long brass spacer to extend the brush low enough that it would reach through the sizing ring at the bottom of the die. That required a 5/16"x27 tap and die to thread the spacer and make the stud that joins it to the post. This allows 2 3/4" shells to just clear the end of the brush as the hulls rise to the primer knock-out stage.

Keller

15. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

more pree crimp is what it needs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.