1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 Dies Cracking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with Ponsness Warren 800B dies cracking? I was loading some .410 shells this morning and I noticed that 2 of my dies have cracked. Does anyone know if PW warranties or replaces these if this happens? Thanks.

Rod

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The best way to find out what the deal is is to call them Monday morning at 800-732-0706.

Remember that they're in Idaho.

Keller

3. Reinz

Reinz Member

Just to clarify, the dies - at the top, or the shell holders, at the bottom ?

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If the dies are less than a year old, then they should be under warranty. However you need to be certain that your components are correct. Over stuffing the shell with an incorrect load could be the culprit.

I'd have a die cleaning brush installed to keep the insides clean. I would also occasionally spray the brass hull bases with WD40 or Rem Oil and reload 10-16 often to provide some lube in the dies.

I rarely hear of cracked dies, but when I do it's normally 410. They are difficult under normal circumstances.

Whiz

5. APrice

APrice Active Member

Reinz, if he is referring to the shell holders, which I think he is, PW calls them "sizing dies." Most folks just call them "dies."

6. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I'm refering to the shell holders/dies. My loads are correct and not over stuffed; the dies just cracked. This is a little older machine and I'm wondering if I can or would it be worth it to convert it to a Plus.

Rod

7. Reinz

Reinz Member

Thanks Rod and APrice, as I stated, "to clarify".

Now I Know which to keep an eye on.

8. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

I don't think PW is still working on 800B's. There are a number of folks who do, but they are not associated with PW.

John

9. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Rick, where did you get the dies?

Rod

10. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

The expert on here or anywhere when it comes to PW loaders and many other things is Whiz White, He has answered your post, just followup.

Joe Woods/Ontario

11. whiz white

You can replace the dies, but you need to be certain of their height. There are two versions***, the early version used a full-length die, whereby the finished shell's top was level with the top of the die, and the last and latest version is a die about a ¼" shorter. This latter die is referred to as Tru-Crimp. There are a couple of implications involved with moving to Tru-Crimp.

Regarding converting to an 800 Plus, this is <i>not</i> TOTALLY possible. The 800 Plus and some of the earlier models all use the 1¼" diameter cross-shaft. The 800B, C, and CVT used the narrower 7/8" diameter cross-shaft. Because of the 7/8" cross-shaft's smaller diameter, the operating handle could not be mounedt directly to it (not enough metal), so the use of aluminum end caps were required. I recently saw where some of the last models of the CVT made did have the 1¼" diameter shafts, but this was not the norm.

You *can* upgrade the older 800B, C, and CVT machines to the current style which utilizes the shorter (¼") dies and all the related tooling. This kit is called the "800B Taper Crimp Kit". It includes the 8 dies and necessary tooling heads, and sells for $149.95. Then you could add the Die Removal System for the 800B, C, and CVT for an additional $189.95, and then, of course you could add the EZ-Fill Hopper System for $49.95, and the new Brass Primer Seating Assembly for $150.

Now, you'd be close to an 800 Plus, but still not an 800 Plus, AND the above investment would be around $575.... AND YOU STILL HAVE AN OLD RELOADER.

In my opinion to do all the above is throwing good money after bad. The simpler and smarter option would be sell your reloader and apply the proceeds to just purchase the 800 Plus for $850 (12,16,20), or the Patriot for $1250 and it has ALL the Bells and Whistles.

My opinion, of course.

Whiz

*** There was a 3rd die design; the Shell Holder Design. There were about 1" tall and only resized the brass. They were available on the Platinum 2000 (no longer being sold), the 950 and 950 Elites (no longer sold), but are presently available on the L/S-1000, a machine designed for both steel and 3" shells.

12. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thanks for all the input. I thought my reloader was an 800B but in fact it is an 800C Silver ST. Does this make a difference in my options to get it fixed?

Rod

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

Whiz, the problem with your recommendation is that if everyone follows it, there's no one left to buy the "old" 800B.

14. whiz white

Replacement P/W dies are $19.95 each.

Rick, you bought the Die Removal System but that didn't come with any dies. I've not sold any dies to you that I can find, so if you paid $47 each for them, you were over-charged.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.