1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 Convertible help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

Just getting into the groove with an 800 Covertible I bought. I had to buy a new brass primer feed from Whiz, and had to readjust everything from the previous owner, but it is working pretty good now. I have a couple of questions though.
    I put new taper adapter on the primer punch, but I occasionally still bend a hull lip. It does not do it every time mabye once every 15 or 20 rounds. It always folds over the part of the hull that is towards the rear of the machine. It looks like the wad guide is perfectly centered though. Any suggestions? Am I pulling the handle too quick? SHould I get a new guide screw? Also I had a couple of primers that did not seat all the way. I make sure to put the handle all the way to the rear and adjusted the seater up a little more. Should there be resistance when putting the handle all the way up? I get a little resistance at the top of the stroke like seating a primer on my Dillon 550 but not sure if that is right on the PW.
    Thanks for your help. Joe

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Joe, the guide screw is probably a good idea although I bought my 800Con. in 1975 (used) and calculate near 1/2 mil through it without changing it. Next idea if the first don't work is to take the turntable off, clean and lube it along with the ballbearings, springs and holes. If that doesn't solve it there are two set screws in the turntable for indexing the table. Loosen them and just whisper the turntable forward a little and re-tighten. There-in lies a little problem. If the screws have indented the steel center piece of the turntable you may not be able to hold your adjustment when you re-tighten the screws. Good luck!

Buz

3. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already changed the wad guide fingers and totally disassembled the the main gear and retimed. I ordered a new guide screw and will try to adjust the cylinder. There were pretty pronounced dents in the main gear but it does appear to be not exactly centered on the primer punch.
    Any ideas on the primer seating?
    Thanks, Joe

4. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already changed the wad guide fingers and totally disassembled the the main gear and retimed. I ordered a new guide screw and will try to adjust the cylinder. There were pretty pronounced dents in the main gear but it does appear to be not exactly centered on the primer punch.
    Any ideas on the primer seating?
    Thanks, Joe

5. jfesi

jfesi Member

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

As mentioned above, if the Cam Screw that rides in the groove of the Left Vertical Post is slightly worn, then the wad guide housing may not rotate 100% counter-clock-wise, centering itself over the top of the hull, and then the wad will clip the hull's mouth.

These wear our often, so remove your and look it over. To get by, you can install a washer between the cam bolt and the wad carrier housing to change the geomoety enough to move the wear area out of the way.

Whiz

7. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks Jim. I will give that a try. I have a new screw on order. Could you please tell me if the new brass primer feed I got from you should be up high enough so that you push against spring pressure when you bring the handle to the full up position? I started from scratch when I installed the primer and started with your instructions for setting the index pad and worked out from there. I then used PW's instructions for installing the primer feed. They say that you should not be able to turn the sizing die over the primer feed with the handle in the full up position. Now that I have the primer up so far the index pad rides on the index pin until I push the handle full up. Then I get the credit card size gap that you talk about. Is this normal or do I have something out of adjustment?

Thanks again, Joe

8. jfesi

jfesi Member

Gary,

Do you mean the resizing die? Are you saying that sometimes they stick up in the cylinder after being primed, or something else?

Thanks for your help.

9. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks Gary. I will give that a look tonight.

10. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I figured out my wad guide problem. The lower inner sleeve that sets the wad guide finger height was sticking out down below the wad guide. It was catching on the front of a hull every once in a while. I adjusted that sleeve to be flush with the bottom of the wad guide and then loaded 200 rounds without any wad issues.
    Any info on the primer/index pad replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Joe: If the aluminum housing of the wad carrier (part the wad finger rests in) is sticking, then remove the coil spring and stretch it some. If it looks compromised, I have new coils.

Also, make sure the lower large, plastic washer (held in with 2 small screws) that holds the wad carrier wad guide assembly is smooth on the inner circular surface. Occasionally, after a period of wear, the large coils wants to get itself wedged between the wad carrier housing and the aluminum piece mentioned above. If it looks rough, clean it up with an X-Acto knife or the like.

Whiz

12. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks Whiz! The guide is working great now, and not tearing any hulls.

Could you please help me with a little timing issue? I installed the new brass externally adjustable primer assembly that I got from you. I started from scratch with the timing since the machine is new to me. My question is after the primer assembly is installed should you need to push the handle to the full aft position since it is now pushing against the primer spring assy? Also should the index pad ride on the index pin when the handle is in the nuetral position, but then move out to give the credit card thick gap when the handle is pushed full aft? I just want to make sure that I am not going to tear anything up.

Thanks, Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.