1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800 Bushing for Extra Lite Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

When I reload I frequently check my Powder drop to make sure that I am reloading as close to the manufacture's specifications as possible. Having said that, what size powder bushing will give me a good starting point for a 16.0 grain powder drop?? Alliant (to the best of my knowledge) has not added the Extra Lite to their suggested bushing charts.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Here's a post from Alliant's Paul Furrier from Shotgun World about a year ago: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

A PW "I" bushing (.437" ID) is supposed to drop 16.5 grn of Red Dot. Try upping the bushing to a "J" (.445" ID) to get the same drop of X-Tra Lite [PW decimal chart].

If this jump is too large you may have to go with a Hornady bushing [Gamaliel Supply] in .438", .441" or .444" to get the right size. Aluminum HVAC tape applied inside the bushing hole to reduce the diameter will make a nearly permanent capacity reduction when needed.

Keller

3. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I use a 456 Hornady that drops 17 grains.

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Looks like and "I" bushing would be a good start!!

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Rather than loading for volume/weight, you may want to consider loading for chronographed velocity. You can do this by selecting the die, then opening up the cavity by drilling, then polishing the interior to get the desired volume of powder to produce a desired velocity. Considering that parameters may change from powder batch to batch, it may be worth the effort to test each time you open a new jug. I've often wondered if using a drilled/threaded hole in the side of a die for an adjustable Allen screw with some sort of plug to vary drop by small amounts.

best...mike

6. Unknown1

<blockquote>"Rather than loading for volume/weight, you may want to consider loading for chronographed velocity."</blockquote>Way more trouble than it's worth considering all the variables introduced by hand loading. I wouldn't try to load to a velocity without also knowing the chamber pressures I was creating by doing that.

Keller

7. Border Bandit

Sorry, my bad. I should have added the proviso that in no case should you extrapolate below or above published data to achieve a desired velocity. So far as going to the trouble, it's one of the few things an unsupervised male can do without incurring wrath of the vigilant one, especially on "camp" days .....grin

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Why would you be afraid to load below published data?

9. Border Bandit

Jerry, I'll leave that one to the folks who tell us not to do it, as I don't really have an explanation, and accepted the warning(s) as gospel. If I'm looking for a load to fill a certain need, usually, it's not hard to find published data and component combinations to fill it. In all fairness, I'd guess that since there's a wad squashing the charge in a shotgun hull, unlike empty case volume encountered in reduced loads when loading rifle cartridges, perhaps not much bad can happen.

best.... mike

10. Unknown1

<I>"Why would you be afraid to load below published data?"</I>

Not afraid... pressure can be too low as well as too high. Depending on how light your shot load is you could drop your pressure below the level needed for consistent, complete burns and end up creating inconsistent loads without realizing it.

Keller

11. setool

setool Member

If you would like, Whiz White of S & W Supply will make a custom bushing to any size you may require. His banner is here on the top right. His phone # is
    (605) 341-4412.

Mark Schneider

12. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

My J1 bushing has been throwing a very consistent 17.0gr. I have been Loading Extra-lite(TM) on the RCBS Grand though, and have not set it up on my PW900 yet. So J would be a good start, as others have said.

Thank you for using our powder.

Shoot Well,

Paul

Please be aware that I am an employee of ATK Commercial Products, and the views expressed in my posts are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of ATK.

13. doc boc

doc boc Member

I use a "J" busshing, gives about 16.5 grains of extra lite. works great. doc

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Well I try to load as close to the Alliant powder recommendations.....so will start with the PW "I" bushing and go from there in an effort to get 16.0 grains of powder dropped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pw bushings for extra-lite powder