1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PW 800-B crushing base of shells at primer station

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Need more info:

Is the crushing a concaving, is the crushing on the plastic? ... Need more specific info.

Could be:<BR>
    1.   Bent depriming pin<br>
    2.   Bent/off-center depriming shaft<br>
    3.   Broken area under die on crosshead<br>
    4.   Bent Primer Seating shaft<br>
    5.   Primer seating shaft set too high<br>
    6.   Loose set screws (4) in either or both vertical LH & RH posts...<br>
    the list goes on

Got a picture?

Could be a number of causes, depending on when/where/how.

Jim White<BR>
    S&W Supply Co

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Bottom of shell is concaving and the primer is not seating. The primer seating pin is "warped" making me think it is been the source of an original problem that has caused others. While the primer sits in the recess on top of the pin, it hits the inside edge of the shell bottom, but the concaving is something I can create without the primer and while I have adjusted the set screw and nut on bottom part of the assembly that sits in the machine, I just cannot get it right. I am going to take the plate off and look around in there to see what I can find.

Thanks for your reponse.

3. Rick Barker

titewad2

I looked, and it is hard to see down there, that is why I will take the plate off and take a good look. Thanks for your input.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Primer seating posts are mad eof Leadlloy, lead impregnated steel. Very soft, but very easy to machine. Unfortuantely, they bend easily, as do the knockout pins, also made of Leadlloy.

I'd removethe primer seatingg assy entirely, remove the seating shaft (3/32" set screw holds it in), then roll on a flat surface to check for bending.

Also, you could have a piece of two of shot flattened out on top of this post too and that can cause both bending and crooked primer insertions, giving concave results.

If the knockout pin is bent, for heavens sake, change it.

Whiz

5. Rick Barker

whiz white...

Yes the pin is bent and it looks like the prior owner tried to straigten it.
    I plan to replace it and anything else I find out of whack. I wanted to get some imput as to why it was bent. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.