Trapshooters Forum banner

PW 375C - opinions/thoughts?

4K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Jim Skeel 
#1 ·
Does anyone reload with a PW 375C? I'm considering one for 28 gauge in lieu of a size master and know virtually nothing about the PW 375C. They appear well built and I' like the idea of 2 gauges per press for simplicity. I can reload quite efficiently with a 600 jr now in .410 gauge and wondered if the production for a pw 375 per hour is comparable or better than a 600 jr.

thx.
Matt

#2 ·
PW 375C is a great press. As you mentioned, you can set up for two gauges and change gauges in just a few minutes without adjustments having to be made. PW 375C cannot be worn out in your lifetime and produces superb reloads superior to any MEC. Production capabilities are 6-7 boxes per hour in 12 and 20 ga. and somewhat less for 28 ga. and .410.

#3 ·
If your time is worth anything it's not the loader for you. And I thought it was flimsy, too. But the big problem was the speed. Not quick enough for me, but then I shoot a lot. For 25 or 50 shots of league for a couple of summer months, well, maybe.

(Added edit later). As I think back, the 375 was the very first loader I ever had and a lot of my adverse memories of it were probably due to the fact that, in general, I didn't have any idea what I was doing.* And, of course, I was getting all my advice at the club and that just made things worse.

I sold it and got a Hustler 76 and liked it better. But then I found that a single stage has its place for short runs, sorting out problems, and when you what to make some really, really similar shells for testing or whatever.

So I again have a single stage (MEC) and use it now and then and don't worry that it takes forever since I don't always need or want volume - just a few nice shells.

Neil

* Think, for example, of loading cases of one-ounce plastic Gold Medals on a single-stage, taking them to Arizona, and finding that the wad/powder volume had been poorly chosen, all the crimps had opened up, and the boxes were full of loose shot, not usable shells . . .

#5 ·
My first foray into reloading was with the pw 375. Ibought one in 410 with a set of 28 to add to the head. i was nervous about te process. It did not take long to get the whole process down. i load the 410 and do not try to hurry the process. It works fine and the more i load the more I like it. Bought a 4 head set used to do 12 and 20 on. Slow and steady breaks the bird

#7 ·
I have four of them and recently gave a fifth one to a friend. I've been loading on PW 375's for almost 40 years. If volume loading in a short period of time is important to you this is not your best option but they turn out consistent loads and that is more important to me than volume. I enjoy reloading. Back in the days when I was running daily I used my cool down time to load a few shells. I highly recommend that you consider this reloader - I have been entirely satisfied over the almost 40 years that I have used them. JPM

#9 ·
The 375 with its full lengthed casing will practically crimp a brick.

It is a single stage press, so your expectations should not be of great speed in loading shells.

The "holes" within the newer style AA hull crimps, is not related to the machine. It is however related to the setup of the wad volume, and crimping adjustments. Its nothing new to realize that the newer AA hull has slightly shorter column height than the Remingtons and older AA's. Its not the press's fault.

By the way not a PW homer here. I have a MEC 9000H as well as the PW375 and they both serve their purposes. Maybe a spolar when I'm rich and famous but for now these do just fine for my families needs.

#10 ·
Bought one when I first started shooting and thought I needed a faster machine. Went through 9000 Mec, both manual and hydraulic, then a Spolar which I love. BUT I bought another 375 and set it up just for Fun-N-Games loads. Works absolutely great and speed is now not the issue - quality loads are the name of the game. I can load either paper or plastic with no problems. Would not give it up!@!

George

#12 ·
The DuoMatic 375C will make great shells but they are not as fast as a MEC Sizemaster. You have to knock the finished shell out on the 375. The MEC Sizemaster has the collet sizer and a primer feeder (except in .410 gauge).

You should really consider a P/W 800 Plus. The 800 Plus is the best progressive reloader for the small gauges.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.