1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting the skill into words this spring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Every spring I start again after taking the winter time off from shooting. This spring is no different except that I'm trying to verbalize what I'm doing in an attempt to help myself remember what in the world to do. If I can put it into words, my start up time should be shorter and I'll be ready to give Johnny something if/when his interest spikes. Right now, he's a skateboarder. Here's what I've got so far.

1. Keep my eyes on the target and shoot it when the gun passes through where I'm looking.

This worked fine for a couple of sessions, but then my scores went back down to my starting plateau. It was obvious I needed something more. Initially I thought my second rule would be something about stance, which is certainly important, but all the stance in the world won't help if you're not ready. So here's my second rule:

2. Be alert and ready before calling pull.

This is my second most important rule, I'm sure of it now, because my scores went right back up much closer to 25 (23, 24).

What this gives me is a nice direct move to the target. The process happens darn near automatically. When I start in a mentally alert mode, the gun takes the target away from my vision as though it's a magic wand. The feeling is tremendous.

Tantative rule #3: A line across the toes should be parallel to the left most target angle. I'm considering something about a direct move to the target as well.

Later, Joe

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Close your eyes and mentally shoot a round of trap. Break all the targets, picture all the angles and breaks in your minds eye. This will program your brain for success. HMB

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It may program your brain for success but it doesn't do much for the hands and the eyes unless you can also shoot a real round with your eyes closed.

MK

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Visualization is a widely accepted training method for all sports, downhill skiing, gymnastics, shooting, etc...

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Joe. YOur issue is "TIMING". Shoot more, worry less, and let the target breaks train your mind.

You really do need to shoot more.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Yah Yah, little less conversation a little more action please as the king says.

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Overthinking can confuse your vision. Get your setup right,Relax--Let your mind go blank and call for the bird. SMOKIT

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Start by asking yourself why you took the winter off from shooting. You should have been like the fearless guys that shoot in winter storm conditions, one thing about that approach is that very few of them have a lot of junk sayings running through their head while on the line. Mostly they just wonder if they will ever be warm again. The best part is that when good conditions do come you still don't need any junk sayings running around your head, your just happy to be comfortable.

9. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

make a nice, calm move to the bird. don't be in a hurry and don't jerk at it. there's plenty of time to see it and shoot. That's the number one thing that helps me the most

10. joe kuhn

Several good ideas here, so thanks. I'm content to keep it lean, work slowly on each 'rule' and see the effect on my scores.

You "don't think, shoot" guys are of no real assistance to me and my son who is brand new. You may be at that stage in your own shooting, which is fine and great, but you don't help anyone who doesn't know how to shoot, or is relearning. Humans are rule based beings and without that you take away a huge advantage in learning.

I'm not going to shoot in the winter - just too many days on the farm in the cold to enjoy it. And there is something to learn from the relearning. I get the chance to take a look at the basics again...

11. joe kuhn

Rich - I've got to get the conscious part working better first. Not doing enough of the right stuff yet. Work is needed on this every spring.

Thanks

12. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Joe has got some good points here. I had the pleasure of shooting with him last weekend at St Charles SC.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Not to get crosswise with you Joe but 'don't think, just shoot' works for a big range of skill levels. Being the somewhat evolved humans we are, this is a lot easier said than done. Our natural tendency is to process all kinds of thoughts though our brains usually while trying to do something completely unrelated.

So it really does help to have a thought in your mind that will keep it focused on the task at hand long enough to keep the garbage chatter out. For me that thought is 'see the target - shoot the target' and no it isn't an original but I did spend some money with the guy that taught me that so I guess I can use his material.

Its your game so play it as you like ... but remember there is a lot to be said for simplicity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.