1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting the Grand back in the GAH

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Putting the Grand back in the Grand. In the last couple of weeks there have been a couple of threads about the decline of the Grand and particularly the GAH. Lots of reasons were given for the decline, but few were posted on how to stop the slide. This thread is how we might stop the decline.

When you tell people you are a trapshooter most don’t have the slightest clue. I was at the Grand in Ohio one year in a restaurant less than a mile from the Grand and the waitress asked what I was doing in Dayton. I told her trapshooting. She wasn’t too happy. She thought I was trapping animals and shooting them. My point is most people don’t know who or what we do. How do we change that? We need media attention. How do you attract the media? Money. Nothing attracts the media like money.

We need to make the GAH our premier event with a nice cash prize that will attract media attention. Where does the money come from? Raise ATA dues a dollar a year with that dollar going to the GAH purse money. Charge an extra .001 for each registered bird throughout the year which comes out to 10 cents per hundred. That money will go toward the GAH purse. Finally make the GAH a mandatory purse shoot. 100 dollars to shoot the GAH with options on top of that. That should provide enough money to attract some media out of St. Louis and maybe even some national media.

A person could still shoot all week at the Grand for targets only, but if they wanted to shoot the GAH they would have to put up the money for the purse, or sit out the premier event. Make the GAH the last shoot of Grand week.

Institute a 29 or 30 year line for the Grand ONLY. Shooters earning yardage passed the 27 yard line during the week will be shooting on the 28,29, or 30 yard line the day of the GAH.

Have computer drawn squads and banks for GAH. No picking squad mates. Make a big deal of the drawing. All shooters at CEB for 9am drawing to find which bank and squad you shoot. Shoot would start an hour or so later.

Make a big deal of drawing and pre shoot opening. Have the Sparta high school band march through vendor row. Have them play Star Spangle Banner. Find a D list celeb or player from the nearby Stl Cardinals, or politician to “pull” or throw out the first clay target for the GAH.

Ask for a fly over from Scott Air Force base at start of GAH.

Flame away

2. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I'm all for doing what you propose. Make it one big event durring the Grand, but not at the very end where the shoot off is delayed by computing everybody's place and a lot of other silly shoot offs. AJ

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Compulsory money.......yeah, that'll work!

Curt

4. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

There is a club near here that at one time would have a handicap where the purse was compulsory.If you shot that event you knew that you would be winning some pretty nice loot.They did away with the compulsory purse and went to a lewis class system and they havent had the amount of entrys since.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I love your media idea. Have so for a couple or maybe three decades. While I haven't approached the St Louis represenatives, I have done so in my home state with our state tourney. We have had network coverage that was actually televised but very very limited. One always hopes though...

The 100 dollar mandatory purse will not work I fear to increase attendance. If anything, our number will drop. Shooters of present day don't appear to be money oriented as of by gone era. However if we could get sponsorships/donations/advertisement via plausable avenue inorder to generate this purse, she'll work. It wouldn't surprise me with todays market place and the economy that we'd loose even a few more shooters in our ranks with increased dues and minute target fees. Some are just looking for a reason it seems via viewing this site!!!

Increased yardage may have merit also. Really haven't thought about it as never really figured that it would ever come into play. Outside of concrete pouring which would only require a few fields to be done but in so doing decreasing the objectivity of the draw, I see no problem.

The draw system for position and trap has merit I suppose. Its the old way inwhich a person squadded at the Grand. I wonder how many would whine and quibble over such a ruling..

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

$100 mandatory entry fee will scare alot of shooters away. They'll gamble on $20-30 for Lewis, but they know the odds against Leo, Karlan, Ricky and others.
    You may have a very poor turn out.

7. Jolin

Jolin TS Member

Some good ideas are list above.
    However, compulsory purses? Isn't this the ATA--AMATEUR Trapshooting Association?

I have shot registered skeet prior to 1994. I quit this sport because of mandatory purses. The money alway seemed to go the big dogs.
    Since '94' I have shot ATA trap. Love it! In trap, if you wish to play the purses, it is optional.

Head down, eye on the bird--shoot great
    Joe

8. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

How about giving a new Jeep away to the winner like they did years ago . or any other truck or car.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Was there not a Jeep Wagoneer given away to the winner of the GAH some decades ago?.....it's all about sponsorship ain't it?....convince a corporation to sponsor the prize and convince them it will be good advertising for them....

10. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Get Tiger Woods to shoot the Grand and you will not be able to park because of all the news media.

Bo

11. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Bo - I don't know if he'll be out of the Sex Hospital in time for the Grand. I guess he has a bad case of "sex on the brain!"

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

It appears to me that shooter interest in purses has declined. If so, requiring a mandatory purse would be counter productive. The majority of shooters do not attend the Grand. I would not be in favor of increasing their ATA fees to build a purse for a shoot that they will not attend.

Pat Ireland

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most shooters aren't foolish enough to hand over their weekly grocery money to Leo and the others as an option. Now you want to make it mandatory-that pig won't fly.

All we have to do is make it difficult enough for shooters that have accumulated thousands of un-answered yards. The average shooter will then realize he now has a chance to win and won't be reluctant to play the options!!

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm only talking about a mandatory purse for the GAH. When I mentioned $100 I should have said entry fee, the $100 would include targets.

The purpose of this whole exercise is to get a little media face time for the sport. Will a $500 purse for the GAH get a tv camera crew out of Stl? Will winning $750 get a blurb on ESPN? I don't think so. I don't know what that amount is that will interest the media, but we need to try and do something to attract a little attention to our sport.

Raising annual membership fee $1 should raise something in the neighborhood of around $30K toward the purse.

The .001 "tax" of each registered target thrown throughout the year should raise another $35K.

We now have 65 to 70K for the purse. We have a $100 entry fee for the GAH with 30 of that going to targets. Last year the GAH was around 2000 entries. Would we chase off half of them with a $100 entry fee. We would chase some, but I think we would also gain a few. Let's say we only had 1000 contestants for the 2010 GAH. We would have 70K in entry fees add that to the 70K we raise during the year and we would have a jackpot of approx. 140K!!

Would 100K first place prize attract the media. Maybe I don't know. Why do we want to attract the media in the first place? Maybe so some guy who buys his clay targets at Walmart and shoots em in his corn field hears about us. "You mean you can make $100K shooting these things" Grab the 870 and lets go find a shoot.

Maybe with the publicity we attract a shooter who hasn't shot in a few years or went to sporting clays.

If we have a 29 or 30 yard line for yardage earned during Grand week ONLY, the big dogs will be back there when the GAH starts.

I even bet with a 100K first place we would attract an Ohio shooter, maybe even one who shoots a 20 gauge. He might only shoot the GAH knowing that his buddies who shot the whole week will be back on the 30 while he can have some easy pickens from the 27.

If you don't like these ideas, can you make any suggestions on how to improve the GAH?

15. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Increased yardage is a non-starter for a bunch of reasons. However, if you REALLY want a Champion, then 60 yard/5-hole targets from ANY yardage will find him and there will be little possibility of any entended shootoffs hahaha.

But that will never happen and one event/year is not going to save the ATA or the GA. Tiny tweaks in the existing paradigm are no solution. If trapshooting is to survive and even grow, a ground up revision of the system is required. Good luck on that too.
    I think maybe I should write an article for some gun mag about that. Which one would be the best do you think? Obviously not T&F hahaha

Ready for the NATA ( N(ew)ATA )?

would that be great or what?

Charlie

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Great conversation here. As Pheasantmaster (former KTA delegate) said, you have to promote the local media for local events. Some time back this year I decided to take it upon myself to develop, for the lack of better descriptions, a sales/marketing/media plan to be implemented for the spring of 2010. The problem of my doing this in the past has always been a lack of backing and thus my desire to implement the plan.

Recently I got a bit of encouragement from Illinois' fine ATA delegate, Jim Matteson. He said that he would discuss this with the ATA once I have put the plan on paper ready for presentation. I'll need help to put this plan on the ground and that will mean a budget for the campaign. I am not a wealthy man and live and shoot on a disability policy after a heart attack and 5 joint prosthesis, so I can't do it myself. As soon as I'm ready, which will be pretty soon. I'll give the plan to Jim and hope that he can get some traction for it amongst the BOD and EC.

It's a start and I hope you all will share your thoughts with me as I have pledged to myself that I'm going to write this campaign and do what I can, with my limited resources, to implement it in the greater St. Louis area. My mission statement is simple. To promote the sport of trapshooting, specifically ATA registered trapshooting, in a defined area with the intent to increase the member ranks and targets thrown.

I will also be contacting those shooting sports companies, that stand to benefit from this effort, for their support to the campaign.

If this works it will benefit trapshooting both locally and can be put into effect across North America. My background, as a former teacher and long time sales professional who loves a challenge, makes me want to do this. I don't want any money for myself, I want your support for the cause.

I want to borrow something from Mr. Neil Winston as I close for now......................................................................".Yours in Sport", Barry C. Roach

17. Barry C. Roach

18. Barry C. Roach

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Carl, I would sometime like to view your proposal also. It sounds as though you have a viable plan that may make the difference we need. Its also refreshing to learn that we won't have to pay you a yearly some just under 100 large as has been the case it the past..

20. Barry C. Roach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.