1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting old hard drive in new laptop?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My Winbook died as had the Fujitsu before it but the HD is OK. Can I just rip the drive from one of the new Vista-enabled laptops, put in my disk from the Winbook, and have XP back and all my files too?

Neil

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm. This will be interesting.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I tried that once with a desktop. It booted OK but then there were all kinds of errors since the motherboard and all it's associated drivers were wrong. I can only imagine it would be worse going from laptop to laptop since there are a greater number of integrated peripherals on a laptop motherboard.

It will try to work but I doubt if it will be completely successful.

Jerry Weger

4. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Jerry is correct.

I have done it on a desktop. I was a real PITA!!! Lots of errors. I had to reinstall the OS to get it going.

You will have conflicts.

My laptop crashed. I fould a used one on Ebay. Swapped HD. That worked no problems!

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Laptop manufacturers all cheat and modify Windows source code for their hardware. If you had installed a non-OEM version of Windows, you have a chance, but only a slim one, and only if you can get far enough along in the boot process in safe mode ro install the correct drivers. I once tried to do that with a HD from a failed Dell Latitude laptop in another Latitude desktop of the same model, but newer. No joy.

Your safest course of action is to use your new laptop with the OS that came installed in it. Then install your old laptop drive into an external enclosure and connect via USB. The laptop will recognize the external notebook drive and you can copy your data files across. For less than $50 you'll end up with your data files where you want them, and an external drive for future backups. Good luck.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. Now the good news!

Just as I headed for the garage for my air-hammer muffler cutter, I thought I'd just push that start button one more time. It lit up and when it asked for the password, the keyboard suddenly worked again! The last time it did that was mid-September.

So now I can read those XP books for instruction, port my data over to my HP desktop I was able to buy with XP, and I'm in fat city . . .right? I'm not going to shut it down until everything is on DVD's and in my desktop as well.

Thanks for all your help.

(I went to the Winbooks support site and it looks like keyboards are a big problem. At least mine worked longer than the five minutes one of those complainers got.)

Thanks for all your help.

Neil

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Neil: Problems will be motherboard related. The drivers for the original laptop's video, ethernet, audio, touchpad, etc. will not be the necessary ones for the new laptop.

You *could* certainly try it and if you can get it to talk to the Internet, you may be able to get to the new laptop's site and download the needed drivers.

As someone already mentioned, this can get to be a real PITA and extremely time consuming.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.