1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting graphite on shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I would like to see your set up for putting graphite on your homemade shot. I am trying to get some ideas. You can either post it on here or email me with pictures of your setup. Thanks

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes.....a good idea. Think about other situations in which lubrication is used. Everything just goes smoother.

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

jbm,i went to harbor freight,got a small cement mixer,run 80-100 lbs at a time for 1/2 hour,i left the paddels in,some say take them out,some say leave them in,and in works for me,only use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of graphite per load,looks like black chrome when done,mark jones

4. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

How much does a cement mixer cost?

5. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

jbm,i got min on sale at harbor freight for $100.,reg price $129.,mark

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Cement mixer, Paddles remoced and coated with bed liner. It will handle 300 lbs at a time.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/shotpolishing.flv"></embed>

Jim

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

myself with a spray can.

Jim

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a small mixer that drywall guys used to mix mud in before the ready made pails became standard usage.

It has a 5 gallon plastic pail in a metal frame, and I have it tilted. I usually do 50 lbs at a time. 1/2 teasjpoon is way enogh for 50 lbs.

HM

9. new loader

new loader Member

My hat is off to anyone who can perform this task successfully. I tried this several times and all I got was a gritty, dusty mess. Never did get it just right, but the last few batches were acceptable enough to use. But I was doing reclaimed shot, not homemade.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You should be very careful with reclaimed shot. A lot of it is oxidized and lead oxide dust is dangerous to your health.

Jim

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

There is an alternative to using a cement mixer. Graphite can be applied to shot individually. Although you do not need a mixer, some other items will be necessary.

1. Graphite, of course
    2. A small pair of tweezers (Tweezers are like pliers and socks; you can't buy
    just one.)
    3. A soft application brush. (The brushes crime scene investigators use for
    getting fingerprints work well.)
    4. One long glove of the type veterinarians use to inseminate cattle - it keeps
    the graphite off the hand and arm used to hold the shot with the tweezer.
    5. A place to work: You want to stay out of the wind so outside will not work.
    I recommend doing it at the dining room table with the AC off and the windows
    closed. Since your wife may become irritated if you get graphite on the
    furniture, spread a white, lace, tablecloth on the table to prove the
    graphite is not drifting around the room.
    6. A powerful vacuum just in case you were wrong about the graphite migrating
    7. A good divorce attorney, just in case things go completely awry.

The above procedure requires more time than using a cement mixer but you should be able to graphite enough shot for a complete box of shells in no more than a few days. (And cement mixers are difficult to put on dining room tables, anyway.)

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

graphite on shot