1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting chokes in a fixed choked Perazzi: Who?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loanman, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loanman

loanman Active Member

I wanted to get some advice as to who I should go with to put chokes in my fixed choked Perazzi Barrel. I know most will say Briley but it seems I hear more and more horror stories about Briley

I want to get some of you guys opinion on who to trust to do this. After spending $3k on a Perazzi Barrel, I want to send it to someone who does great work and who I can trust

I thank you in advance for your input

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Wow, prepare for the Sh** storm. just shoot it. the chokes really do not do that much. Look at the All Americans and their advice.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What pattern are you looking for that reworking the existing choke will not provide?

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I send all my Perazzi's to Briley for choke tubes, and customer's requesting tubes.

I disagree with the above that chokes do not "do that much," but we all have our opinions.

American shoot too tight of chokes, in my opinion. At least Britt Robinson and I agree to this fact.

I have always enjoyed shooting against folks who believe in the old addage, "Choke for Smoke."

I've been a 27 yarder for since 1975 (it took me 13 months to hit the 27) and firmly believe that different shooters require different chokes. I shoot extremely fast, so I can get away with a more open restriction.

You should pattern your gun at the distance that you break your targets and this varies widley from shoot to shooter.

I'd rather chip/break 100, than smoke 99.

IMHO.

Whiz White

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Whiz, good advice, thanks for not personally attacking me! I would go with your opinion on going with Briley. And I think you and I are in the same school as going for most people over choke. Rather break 100 than smoke 99.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My advice would be LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE!! If you must have tubes get the work done by someone who will require you send the complete gun and will take the time and effort to make sure all is well. Although I have never sent him a gun, Tom Wilkinson consistantly receives high praise. Marc

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm a Briley fan. Have two experiences and both gave excellent results. AND I TEST MY GUNS.

8. Damifino

Damifino Member

Loanman,
    We just got a Perazzi TM1 barrel back from Tom Wilkinson. It was an original barrel with .043 fixed choke. He put tubes in it and the job is perfect - not just nice, it's perfect. We took it to the pattern board this weekend and it has the most perfect pattern distribution possible - You can litteraly draw the pattern with a compass, and no hot spots. We ordered .025 and a .034 tubes - perfection from both. I can not be happier with the work.

Call Tom and talk with him - it won't take more than a few minutes to realize he is the real deal. You'll spend a few dollars more (not a lot more though) but worth it.

My 2 cents,
    Tom Boyer

9. loanman

loanman Active Member

thank you so far fellas for the advise. I should have added this on my original post. My barrel that came with my MX8 is fixed choked at .019 on the bottom and .030 on the top. I AM LEAVING THIS BARREL THE WAY IT IS and I plan to use it for practise and bunker. I purchased another barrel for sporting clays and that is the barrel I want chokes in. I am in AA and on my way to Master and I need chokes for the multiple presentations that sporting has. I shot in a registered shoot this weekend and I had a 10 yard rabbit and I dropped 2 targets because my .019 was way too tight

keep the suggestions coming and I will call Wilkenson

Does Wilkinson make is own extended chokes? I have always been a big fan of how the Comp N chokes break targets, does anyone know if Wilkinson can thread the barrel for Comp N Chokes?

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Tom Wilkinson does very good work, real good work! I have never had him install choke tubes, just other barrel work. I have seen guns that he has put choke tubes in, and they look great. If you decide to go Briley, I am a Briley Authorized Dealer, and I can save you some $$$$ below MSRP. Just contact me if interested.

Matt Woodson

11. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I think Whiz has the best advice. I have used Briley for 4 or 5 Perazzi and was generally pleased. However, the last few I have had choked, I have been using Seminole. For sporting clays I have been extremely pleased with the patterns I get from there chokes. Unlike most people, I have my chokes made in increments of .008. I use .000, .008, .016, .024 & .032. It means I don't have to have as many chokes.

Jack

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Briley! Experience count's!

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Just another thought to continue this debate. I have taken a lot of heat on here for the choke for smoke comments being overboard in my opinion as well. Most guys do not pattern their guns nor really understand choke to begin with. I spent quite a bit of time talking and getting Ken Eyster to work on my Beretta 303's for sporting clays and after just a little bit of pattern work one will see that trap shooters use way too much choke most of the time. Choke is NOT the reason targets are missed unless you are talking too much choke. And just because Joe champion does something does not mean he would not have the same outcome with a more open choke.
    You mentioned you missed two rabbits at ten yards because of the .19 choke being too tight. That is mostly in your head because at ten yards cylinder to modified choke will have a tiny pattern difference. I would decide what pattern you desire and leave the chokes fixed in your gun but have each barrel regulated to get those desired results. Each barrel will pattern different with the same amount of constriction but most all barrels can be regulated to pattern for the intended use. Tom Wiklkinson and a few other barrel smiths can shine some light on the subject for you before you become a choke changer.
    For most intended uses any constriction over .25 will garner no difference in pattern density and in several cases the pattern will become more irregular.Sporting clays can be a game where changing chokes will be detrimental to your score. Spend the time paying close attention to the different presentations and know you have the choke to break anything that is thrown. It just simplifies one more aspect of the game. Somewhere around .17 and .25 will break anything you shoot at without being a hinderence on close targets either. Remember as you tighten choke the shot string gets longer and can help as well on close targets. These are just my thoughts but chokes are far from a necessity in order to score on the sporting clays courses. There are a lot of the best shooters out there shooting automatics with only one choke having no problems competing for HOA at every shoot.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stu Wright does my barrel threading for a "standard" choke.. and he does alot of my backboring when needed.. Tom Wilkinson.. is to me.. the master of chokes.. Not saying anything bad about Keri Allor.. who is also fantastic.. just I use Tom.. Briley does tube..but it's your gun..Stu does chokes..and put a little more time into it..and treats it like its half yours.. and half his.. Tom treats it like its his gun.. and he's shooting for the $100,000 prise with that barrel.. That extra time.. and countless trips to the pattern board cost money..

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

On several occasions I have had a personal brand new Perazzi sent directly from Perazzi to Mike at Briley, and then on to me. I have NEVER been displeased.

I guess I've been doing chokes for half my shooting career, and, honestly to say that someone else, or even Briley for that matter, "takes the extra time", or "does perfect work." How could one tell "perfect" from "near perfect?"

You can't, and unless you are standing behind them when they are doing the work and looking over their shoulder, how could you? It's easy to say someone does this the best or that the best. I can't, but from experience MYSELF, I choose Briley. It's sure OK too for others to have their preferences, but I would never, ever accept complacency.

There are lots of fallacies in this sport, and many are looking for the "magic bullet" ..rarely , if ever, found. Eye sight is probably the #1 factor, and a spirit of competition and thinking that on any give day, anyone can be beat, si also pretty important.

Many say that Herb Orre was not very good. He did a barrel for me at the Grand one day, and the following morning when I got it back, I broke a 99 in the Vandalia handicap beating 1,830 shooters. I have to think that some of the "luck" was attributed to the choke work. I was not a polished job, or as some say, "perfect" but it sure shot the hell out of my targets.

Many years ago, I got a new Browning Citori Combo. I have always been a pretty tough shooter, but the best I could do with that damned Citori single barrel was a pocket full of 99's in singles. I sent it off to Hal Sammons in OK and had it re-choked. Got it mid week, attended a registered shot the following Sunday and broke 100x100 in singles and 98 from the 27. The 100 was so damned easy, that I felt I could have closed my eyes and broken targets.

Consequently, had I "left things well enough alone," I'd just ended up being an attendee with lots of 99's and no gold, rather than a winner. I have never, ever been one to accept things as they are, even when drag racing... I was always experimenting and winning probably because of it.

No, my philosophy is lead, follow, or get the heck out of the way for the rest of us.

You are only as tough as you think you are, and with equipment you trust.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

BAD 303, you say "For most intended uses any constriction over .25 will garner no difference in pattern density " A .025 may work ok but a .040 will deliver greater pattern density than a .025.

"Remember as you tighten choke the shot string gets longer" That is not true. The tighter the choke the shorter the shot string. A more open choke will allow the pellets to disperse quicker and fall behind faster, thus creating a longer shot string. that subject has been beat to death here with photos and logic to prove it.

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Briley or Teague.

I have bought several Perazzi guns and separate barrels direct from the UK and had Nigel Teague install screw chokes before they were shipped to me. His work is also second to none.

18. high 2

high 2 Member

Whiz, well put!!!!!!!!!!! In reading some threads on TS.com a lot of people have already made up their mind that they don`t have a chance against the top shooters. When this happens they don`t. It`s all between the ears. Larry

19. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Jerry how many chokes have you checked to come up with 25 may work but 40 will deliver more density? In a lot of cases 40 will throw a pattern that looks like chit compared to the 25. Just take a few different chokes and go to the pattern board and you will see what happens as you over choke with a lot of chokes. It is not all as some proclaim. I have not seen a target that 25 will not break but 40 will.

20. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Whiz gave good advice as always....
    Tom Wilkinson does good work - I have had guns with his barrel work but never any of his screw in chokes......

Opinions are just that - OPINIONS.....some are based in fact, others are based in experience, and others (generally most) are based on what they (opinion purveyor) heard said around the camp fire and or gun club---

My opinion, based on a lot of experience on my personal guns over the past 20 plus years: - If I were having chokes installed and/or made for a barrel – it would go to Steve Baldwin - Mechanical Accuracy, Jones Oklahoma (405) 399-2875.
    He is very knowledgeable, a good machinist and a shooter too……..

Not to say there are not other good choke makers out there –

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi fixed chokes