1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting a dog down

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by omgb, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Looks as if I'm going to have to put my old buddy down pretty soon. He's 16 and really showing it. I've had him on Metacam and condroiten now for three years. Lately he's been tripping and falling at least once a day. he can still relieve himself but if he squats too far down, he sits with his legs splayed out in front of him and he can't get up without help. He came to us at Christmas just before the big quake here in Santa Clarita (Northridge Quake '94)and I'm thinking he might not make it to January. I won't let him get to the point that he can't relieve himself or where he goes down when I'm gone and he spends the day in pain.

The question is what's the process? Vets here (SoCal) want between $140 and $500 for the shot depending on whether or not it's a house call. Then there's the question of what to do with his body. My yard is way too small to bury him there. The county takes dead animals but they send them to a rendering plant. I won't do that. I'm far too attached to this dog. He saved us from a break in twice by chomping the hell out of the purps...the last time blood was all over the window and it wasn't Ryky's! Geez, that was back in 2002. I've looked into cremation but that runs $500 -$900. I'll pay that if I have to but I'm trying to be smart here. Money is tight and I want to do the right thing by the family and the dog. Any ideas?

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I don't envy you. I had to have my dog put down 3 years ago. The hardest decision I ever made. However, I was selfish and felt we could place his cancer in remission. He suffered too long and for that I feel so bad. We had this done in Wisconsin. To have the vet give him the shot totaled $135. We elected to have him cremated. This cost us another $135. Our wonderful friend is now in an urn on our fireplace. Although California is an expensive place I would surely investigate this. With the economy the way it is, (especially in California), you quite possibly can find a clinic that will give you a realistic price. Good Luck. I feel bad about what you need to do. Ed

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Thanks, I feel like Sh@# about this, but I won't let him suffer. I had to unplug my father three years ago, didn't care much for that either. The price of love doesn't come cheap. Sometimes being responsible and loving is really crappy.

4. esoxhunter

I do know that the clinic we went to administered the shot and did the cremation process right there. If you can find a place that will administer the shot and also do the cremation; it very well could be cost effective. Shop around. It's not pleasant, that's for sure. But remember your best friend deserves all you can give him. If you don't do it right, it will bother you forever. Hang in there. Ed

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have had to put Horses and Dogs down. I feel your pain in not wanting to do it and you know you have to. Have to gut it up and take your friend to a vet or do the shot yourself. Be there for them. I am a grown man... but have shed tears from each one I have put down or have found already gone. They were my best buddies.
    I live in a small town area.. country vets dont seem to charge as much for the shot. Like the man said..shop around. I am lucky that I have enough room to bury a few animals.

Thank God for animals... ASK him for the strength to do what you have to do.

Bless you !!

6. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

We are going thru the same thing up here in Washington with our lab.

I found this on one of the gun sites years ago and hope it helps.

A DOG'S PRAYER
    By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Coyote 270

Tears in my eyes ... that is great what you posted

Just buried a 29 year old family Horse last week.

8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I do not envy you, but in the end you have to do what you have to do. Think back on all the great times Ryky brought into your life over the last 16 years. Way too many to count, I'm sure. Is there a friend or relative out there with enough land and would be understanding enough to help you out in your time of need? Good luck with what you have to do. I know you will find the right answer.

Jon Reitz

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I'm so sorry for your situation. Do you have a friend in the country where you could bury Ryky? A place you could visit and/or remember?

Wish you well.

Rod

10. Twixter

Twixter Member

Go with the creamation. You'll never regret it. You have a very trying occasion coming up , but you have the right idea of not letting him suffer. Been there more than once in the last few years.

Good Luck and may God be with you both.
    Mick

11. AAfan

AAfan TS Member

Bakersfield California here, My Buddy Taz was cremated September 2008 for $150. Ashes will always be with me. Price based on weight. Who is your regular Vet? They should be willing to work with you...

12. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Ombg,

We're thinking about you here in the east. It's a sad time when you have to say goodbye to a friend. Prayers for strength and healing coming your way.

Luvn

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Thanks. This dog has been extrodinary. No vile dog habits, slept at the foot of our bed for years. Silent unless provoked. Loyal and absolutely fearless. Nothing scared him and yet he was gentle with children and chose to retreat when kids would torment him. He was supposed to be my daughter's dog but he latched on to me and never let go. Tonight is a good night but I know the end is coming. I'm trying to have all of my ducks in a row.

14. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

Brother I feel your pain. With raising Labs, we alot of older foundation dogs we kept until death. Putting them to "sleep" is the most humane thing I've ever seen. We have creamated all of our Champion Foundation dogs, at first it was ungodly expensive. We started asking around and did a search for where the vets had it done at. We found the place and started having it done there for pennies on the dollar. Look in the yellow pages or do a web search for your area. I hope this helps. Trust me, you'll know when it's time, somehow they tell you by the look they give you........Hang in there, Doug SGS/Ljutic Lane Labradors

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Have him put down at home by a vet. They have this down pretty well. They will give him a sedative to relax him then a paralyzing agent then something to stop the heart. It is horrible but peaceful.

If you have other animals, especially dogs, make sure they get to see and sniff the body. They understand death but if a member of the pack simply disappears they have a heck of a time dealing with it.

I had to deal with this last year with my best old friend. A truly wonderful golden who at 12 had cancer. You will know when it is time.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Good god man, for what they are charging you just drive up to Oregon on the weekend. We can find somebody to put him down for less then 100 and cremation for less then 200. 300 plus fuel and gas and I suspect we could get them to mail the ashes back to you if you wanted to. If you have any intrest PM me and I will try and arrange it for you. Jeff

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Back in the 60s I worked for a summer with a local vet. If you are looking for a kind and inexpensive way to put your pet to sleep you can use starting ether. Spray it on some cotton and put it by his nose he will go to sleep and when it reaches the overdose point his heart will stop. Very peaceful.
    I agree with squirrelkiller find a nice place in the country and bury him there. If you can find a nice place say a farm and ask the farmer if you can bury him there I would bet he would be glad to help you out.

18. esoxhunter

You have had a lot of input on this. I would like to add my last bit of advice. This dog was your best friend. He would have did his best for you; if the roles were reversed. Do whatever you think is best and damn the cost. He is worth it and in the long run you will be satisfied that you didn't deny him the best. And you always will have the great memories of the good times that you enjoyed together. And one day think about getting another "friend". I did and never regretted it. No, the new friend will not in any way replace him; but will fill that empty void that you will have. You are in my prayers. Best of Luck. Ed

19. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I am so sorry that you have to make this difficult decision. Check with the local animal shelters, I had one of our dogs cremated for $70.00 at the shelter and received the remains. Kim

20. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I had to put a 14 year old Lab to rest a couple of years ago. If your regular vet won't work with you, check around. We got to spend as much time with her before she was given the injection and as much time as we needed after. We chose to have her cremated. I'll tell you why - DON'T bury your pet on your property. Some day you won't live there. The last place my BF lived, there is now condos. They knocked down the house, stripped the land, uprooted the trees (AND everything buried there) Bury your pet on PUBLIC property, along a conservation area or cremate the pet. I have the ashes and they'll always go with me wherever I go. If I couldn't afford to cremate her, I'd bury her on conservation land that I could always visit! I feel deeply for you....I hope you can come to a solution that you feel comfortable with. Yvonne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.