1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Put new barrel on Brn. 42

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herb Roach, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Actually, I mislead you tho I didn't do it purposely. I put a used Win. 42 on a Brn. 42. I have a lot more information now than I did when I started. First, I assumed that the threads on end of the barrel were different. No so, they match perfectly.

Second. The magazine of the Browning would not enter the barrel extension of the Winchester.

I finally got out my calipers and started measuring. The outside diameter of the magazine is .700. The I.D. of the barrel extension on the Browning is.710. The O.D. of the barrel extension on the Browning is .775. That indicates the wall thickness to be: .775 - .710 = .065. Divide .065 by 2 = .0325

The I.D. of the Winchester barrel extension is .690. The O.D. is .775. That indicates the wall thickness to be: .775 - .690 = .085. Divided by 2 + .0425.

There appears to be about .020 difference in the two barrel extensions. Since the outside dimension of both barrel extensions are .775, then th Winchester barrel extension has sufficient material in the wall to permit the removal of .010 from the inside in order to accomplish the fitting of the Winchester barrel to the Browning receiver.

A lodge brother runs a machine shop, so I presented the problem to them. They used a honing machine, normally used for fitting wrist pins to piston rods, and after about 30 minutes, the barrel extension on the Winchester barrel would accept the magazine of the Browning.

I have not yet reassembled the fore arm, but I am tired tonight and will tackle that job in the morning.

Since I only have one fore arm, I am forced to do a partial disassembly each time I swap barrels. In anyone has fore arm wood and iron, I would like to talk about it.

If anyone has any questions I will be glad to answer them as far as I can. Herb Roach
  2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998

Wondered about that myself

Regards from Iowa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.