1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

'Pushing' Muzzle?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

The other night I'm reading about moving the gun before calling for the target (pushing the muzzle out toward the target) in order to alleviate the sudden muscle jump getting the static gun to move on the target. Gun in motion provides a smoother swing on the bird.

Down below, in the Gun Hold thread, I viewed the Harlan Campbell trailer and I see he professes the same thing...reach out to the target with the forward arm before calling for the bird. Anybody here using this technique successfully? Makes sense to me but right now don't need to introduce anymore ingredients into the mix. Just getting my 'head' into the setup, eye hold, etc. Everything's coming together and 'feeling the game' finally methinks. But i'd be interested in starting to incorporate a precall move at some point.

thanks
    bill

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Harlan does NOT move the gun forward before he calls for the target. Doing that is akin to anticipating the bird and it will get you into a world of unhappiness. What Harlan does is "press to the target" as he swings on it. He wants to see a bit of weight being transfered to the forward foot as the swing is taking place to encourage the body to rotate from the hips to avoid arm shooting.

Morgan

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Harlan has hips??? LOL LOL

Just kidding, Harlan, put down that club.............(;-)

Hauxfan!

4. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks, Morgan. That was my thought. I'm having enough trouble trying to stop anticipating and moving the gun before I get a track on the target. Have a feeling a move before calling would exacerbate the problem. Understand the weight shift thing with Harlan. Thanks for the clarification.

bill

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some of us might have a forward lean into the gun as we shoot without being aware of it. It is not uncommon to see a shooter who fires a dud shell take one or two steps forward to keep his balance. That must mean that he is leaning forward just before the shot.

Leaning forward a little is not the same thing as pushing out with your left arm. I want my arms and upper body to move as a single unit.

Pat Ireland

6. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Hey "Billster" since the Trap target comes out at an unknown angle it doesn't make sense to start moving the muzzle until you see it in your "window" (where you gaze before the target becomes clearly visable) and before you lock onto the target. One way to break yourself of moving before you see the target is to have someone pull targets after you mount your gun and YOU DON'T CALL. Since you don't know when or where the target is going to appear you will have to wait till you see the target. One round of shooting without calling for the target should break you of this habit and can smooth you out as you move as a unit towards the target. Good shooting.

Bruce Maxwell

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

There's this old timer I often squad with...he's got numb trigger finger and often doesn't pull the trigger after calling (go figure). Anywho....when this happens and the gun doesn't discharge he falls forward a step or two. Always wondered what the h*ll he's doing. This explains it. He's leaning into the target/shifting his weight.

As I said, I'll stay still for now. Anticipating target angles crops up 2-3X/round still. Especially on 1 and 5. I notice it when anticipating those damned hard rights/lefts too much. I'll start to swing and suddenly there's a straightaway I've gotta reverse course on and catch. yowza. it's coming together though...slowly.

Will check out Daro Handy. Thanks, guys.
    bill

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Some of us might have a forward lean into the gun as we shoot without being aware of it. It is not uncommon to see a shooter who fires a dud shell take one or two steps forward to keep his balance. That must mean that he is leaning forward just before the shot."</i>

Harlan has a drill in which he has his students dry-fire at a thrown target. Invariably, most will lean forward and/or push forward with their arms at the moment of trigger pull. Harlan explains it as an unconscious reaction to anticipated recoil.

The movement tightens the supporting arm and pull the gun out of alignment as the shot is fired and frequently causes unexplained misses.The students who don't do it are invariably those who have had a lot of rifle training/experience.

Harlan recommends that shooters use a snap cap during practice to help them eliminate the tendency to do this. He also suggests that the supporting hand support the gun WITHOUT actually gripping it. I found this suggestion valuable.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.